Fiio X3ii as DAC/Amp for Smartphone
Sep 15, 2015 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

EagleWings

Headphoneus Supremus
A week back, a member mentioned that Fiio X3ii can't function as a DAC/Amp for smartphones directly.  I did some reading and turns out people have been using the following setup to use the Fiio E17K as DAC/Amp for their smartphones:

Smartphone > Micro USB to USB Female Cable > Powered USB Hub > Fiio E17 > HP

Will the same setup work with Fiio X3ii in place of the Fiio E17? What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 7
Well you have to find a way to make the smartphone do audio output to its mini/micro USB port or whatever proprietary USB connector it has, then you need an adaptor that can run from the USB port on the phone to the USB connector on the X3ii.  In terms of the first step, I'm pretty sure there are drivers available for USB Audio Output on Android and iDevices, but I don't know the details since I've never had to do it myself.

There seem to be results in these searches that can tell you what to do in terms of the first step-----

https://www.google.com/search?q=iphone+usb+audio+output&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
https://www.google.com/search?q=android+phone+usb+audio+output&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

So it seems the issue then becomes power.  The powered USB hub that provides the workaround for the E17 should probably be able to do the trick for the X3ii, as well.

Although, I'm wondering. . .why do you even want to do this?  If you have music on your phone, wouldn't it be easier to just load that onto the Micro SD you use in the X3ii?

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 7

Although, I'm wondering. . .why do you even want to do this?  If you have music on your phone, wouldn't it be easier to just load that onto the Micro SD you use in the X3ii?

Thanks for this. Turns out people have been successful doing this with other DAC/Amps. Just wanted to see if anyone had done it with the X3 and if they ran into issues.

Well I do have some music on streaming services that I can't find a source to download or buy. And sometimes I use the streaming services to audition the music before I purchase. Also there are few of my native language songs that I can only find on youtube. 

Thanks!

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 7

Thanks for this. Turns out people have been successful doing this with other DAC/Amps. Just wanted to see if anyone had done it with the X3 and if they ran into issues.

Well I do have some music on streaming services that I can't find a source to download or buy. And sometimes I use the streaming services to audition the music before I purchase. Also there are few of my native language songs that I can only find on youtube. 

Thanks!

AH, okay, interesting, didn't think of that possibility.

You're welcome.  I hope you manage to succeed at getting this to work!  Can you make sure to let everybody know over in the main X3ii forum if you manage to get it working as a DAC for your phone, and exactly what items you needed in order to do so with it?  I myself would have no need for such info, but it may help someone else :)

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 7
Can you make sure to let everybody know over in the main X3ii forum if you manage to get it working as a DAC for your phone, and exactly what items you needed in order to do so with it?  I myself would have no need for such info, but it may help someone else :)

Will do. Thanks for your help!

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #6 of 7
I am using a OTG cable, x3ii says DAC mode. But no sound comes out. My phone is Oppo neo 7. I had OTG enabled, i had USB audio rounting enabled. Still no sound comes out from my x3ii. I tried using it as a Dac on my pc and laptop, it worked. Tried it on my Mom and Dad's phone, it also worked.

Sep 2, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 7
If the X3 had variable line out you could listen from the line out but only if it is variable as it would be as the volume was maxed if it doesn't. My Dap has variable line out and just check it out and it works but not from a phone as I would need a powered USB hub to make it work from my phone. It would be one way to do it but not a good one if you forget and get a blast of full volume which is not s good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back