FiiO X5 1st gen: final firmware update version 2.6 now available--improved scroll wheel and playback reliability
Nov 17, 2015 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: HiBy
Member of the Trade: EFO Technologies Co, YanYin Technology
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
2015-11-17
Official firmware version 2.6 for the X5 is now available!
Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/62ph8ygxmhqy74u/X5%20FW2.6.zip?dl=0
After downloading the update, please unpack (unZIP) the package and read the update instructions contained within.

The following changes and improvements were made to firmware version 2.6 compared to FW2.5:
1. Enabled gapless playback of single music files split by CUE sheets
2. Fixed issue where the player may play through folders incorrectly
3. Fixed issue where the genre tag of AAC files (.m4a) was read incorrectly
4. Fixed issue where blanks spaces in front of the album name of a song caused the genre name to be read incorrectly
5. Fixed issue where the player may not be able to load the cover info for certain MP3 files
6. Improved the sensitivity and consistency of the scroll wheel response.
7. Fixed issue where some CUE sheets could not be parsed
8. Various other bug fixes in line with those made for the X5 2nd gen.
9. Miscellaneous bug fixes.

Thank you for your longstanding support for our players. We hope this final update to your beloved X5 will serve you well. :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 17, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 41
Woohaa! Downloading now :D

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 41
Last update?

Well, there goes my hope (however faint it was) of one day being able to browse by Album Artist like you can do in just about every other DAP on the market.

I love my X5, but I will refrain from buying any other Fiio DAP until they address this issue of basic functionality.

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 41
I, like many others, was hoping that the issue of having to scroll through thousands of tracks with no by letter scrolling would be fixed along with being able to browse by Album Artist.

It's also sad to see that FiiO is leaving some people hanging with the Linux drivers.

Love the player, but these are basic usability features that have been left unsettled, which is tremendously disappointing. I'll definitely be having second thoughts on whether or not to purchase another player in the future.

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 41
I´m actually very pleased with my X5 and the way it operates. I don´t feel the need for faster scrolling and I have a full 128gb card of music in mine. I have no lockups and no stability issues whatsoever and I just love the darn thing. I will most definetly go for a Fiio product next time :)

I can see the problems with Linux DAC though.  :wink:

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #8 of 41
Thanks for the 2.6 fw update. There are a lot of improvements that can still be made. I really did hope that firmware updates dont stop for the Fiio X5 Gen1 ( just because Gen2 is out there). Unless someone can look at getting a RockBox mod!! ( Just RockBoxed my ipod classic Gen7, and it sounds as awesome  (if not better) than a Fiio DAP.

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 41
2.6 is bugy... It scans 2 times my library (if I have 100 songs, it counts 200), and put this second scanning into a "unknown artist" and a "unknown album". It appears that this are all the thumbnail created by the X5, unreadable files, but listed in the category section...

And the last line on the screen in an artist, when the list is long enough and so it's an album, links always to the "all musics by this artist" section (which is at the end of the list). This is really annoying because every time I think I've opened an album, but in fact all the artist's musics are listed... So I have to go down by one more step, in order to put the album I want to open not on the last screen line.

Please FiiO and @Joe Bloggs, it just need one last update to fix these bugs.

Beside that, the new scroll wheel improvements are GREAT ! Thank's so much !

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #10 of 41
I hope by final you mean final version of the2.6 update and not final update for first gen X5.  What happened to the promise for expanded sd card capacity?  One of my main reasons for purchasing this player was the promise of future supported capacity for sd cards larger than 128gb.

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #11 of 41
I hope by final you mean final version of the2.6 update and not final update for first gen X5.  What happened to the promise for expanded sd card capacity?  One of my main reasons for purchasing this player was the promise of future supported capacity for sd cards larger than 128gb.

I believe that you won't need a firmware update in order for the X5 to support larger SD cards.

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #12 of 41
Yes, they've really given themselves and unenviable reputation in the DAP using community.A reputation for be distracted by shiny objects and making only piddling fixes of problems most of us never noticed while willfully resisting fixes for the 900 lb gorillas in the room.  I'll spend my money elsewhere next time.

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #13 of 41
  2.6 is bugy... It scans 2 times my library (if I have 100 songs, it counts 200), and put this second scanning into a "unknown artist" and a "unknown album". It appears that this are all the thumbnail created by the X5, unreadable files, but listed in the category section...

And the last line on the screen in an artist, when the list is long enough and so it's an album, links always to the "all musics by this artist" section (which is at the end of the list). This is really annoying because every time I think I've opened an album, but in fact all the artist's musics are listed... So I have to go down by one more step, in order to put the album I want to open not on the last screen line.

Please FiiO and @Joe Bloggs, it just need one last update to fix these bugs.

Beside that, the new scroll wheel improvements are GREAT ! Thank's so much !

RE: second scanning into "unknown artist" and "unknown album" - I'm having the SAME problem on mine.  Also, GAPLESS playback is a little glitchy.  On some albums there's a definite interruption between tracks - it's not seamless.  Come on Fiio - this cannot be the LAST update for the X5 1st Gen.  I love the sound of this thing - it's my favourite way to listen to music, but I'm not very impressed if this is the last update.  There are still bugs!!

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #14 of 41
Had hoped the line-out's output volume and channel balance could be controlled this time. No luck for me.
At least it supports USB audio over Android 5, which allows me to work around the issue.

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #15 of 41

Agreed. I remember them touting that with future firmware updates it would be able to support up to dual 1TB cards. Isn't the cap still 128GB? 

Fiio, is this the last firmware update ever for the X5 gen 1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back