Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jul 31, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #10,547 of 15,899
@FiiO

Please add support for 5 channel DSD 64 files.

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #10,548 of 15,899
may have found another issue with new firmware. awhile back fiio fixed the issue with the X5III and the DK1 docking station. before it was fixed the volume of the line out would be cut in half after being paused, and required it to be unmounted then replaced in the dock station for volume to return.

This was fixed. now when docked i get half volume again and undocking and redocking does not bring volume back. this was working and now does not. I run the docking station to a Asguard 2 schiit amp, and this is working with a fiio XI and X3 II

I use my X5III in a K5 dock all day at work and I haven't noticed the return of the "half-volume after pausing" bug. That bug was driving me nuts in the past so I would certainly notice if it had returned. I'm not sure what, if any, difference in protocols when interfacing with the DK1 vs the K5 but -- thankfully -- things are still working for me. I just have headphones plugged into the K5's headphone port.

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #10,549 of 15,899
@FiiO

Please add support for 5 channel DSD 64 files.

what for ? the X5 III can only output 2 channels, so you'd miss some parts of the music, unless it would downmix to 2 channels, but then it would be awfully mixed.
No need to bother Fiio with such a feature that woiuld please less than 5 users, instead they must focus on bug fixing (and advertised functiuns that still don't work such as usb audio)

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #10,550 of 15,899
I use my X5III in a K5 dock all day at work and I haven't noticed the return of the "half-volume after pausing" bug. That bug was driving me nuts in the past so I would certainly notice if it had returned. I'm not sure what, if any, difference in protocols when interfacing with the DK1 vs the K5 but -- thankfully -- things are still working for me. I just have headphones plugged into the K5's headphone port.
Yes i as wondering how similar the issue with k5 and dk1 might be. with this update my issue is a little different. its not that it goes to half volume when paused. it is now always at half or muted volume. I am now able to crank my asgaurd 2 up to full volume to a sound that is more like 1/4 volume used to be. again the dk1 still works fine with my X3II and X1 players.

thank you for your response

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #10,554 of 15,899
may have found another issue with new firmware. awhile back fiio fixed the issue with the X5III and the DK1 docking station. before it was fixed the volume of the line out would be cut in half after being paused, and required it to be unmounted then replaced in the dock station for volume to return.

This was fixed. now when docked i get half volume again and undocking and redocking does not bring volume back. this was working and now does not. I run the docking station to a Asguard 2 schiit amp, and this is working with a fiio XI and X3 II

Will go back to last firmware until this can be looked at.
Okay, looks like its back working with current firmware, I did a factory data reset and volume is as it should be with DK1. now to set everything back up

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #10,555 of 15,899
everytime I switch my X5III on since the last update it want to scan tracks from 0
My x5iii has just decided to do that too.

Edit: Furthermore, have now discovered that the X5iii isn't playing nicely with the 256GB cards. In Local Music, not only are both SD Card 1&2 libraries showing duplicate tracks on many albums but also listing the tracks in random order. Edit: Quite frankly, it has made a bog of organising the libraries. I tried deleting one or two duplicate files only to find the original files wouldn't play!
Edit: With the SD cards in Local Music, I have discovered that the Fiio X5iii is not listing tracks in the correct order on some albums. This is particularly noticeable with classical music. Maybe I need to tag these albums differently? It is such a pity as it is a lovely sounding DAP.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #10,556 of 15,899
My x5iii has just decided to do that too.

Furthermore, have now discovered that the X5iii isn't playing nicely with the 256GB cards. In Local Music, not only are both SD Card 1&2 libraries showing duplicate tracks on many albums but also listing the tracks in random order. Quite frankly, it has made a bog of organising the libraries. I tried deleting one or two duplicate files only to find the original files wouldn't play! It is such a pity as it is a lovely sounding DAP.

When ever i press skip the song playing is just restarted. I dont know what to do except factory reset it. In other news the Black Label is in the house!

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #10,557 of 15,899
Is the X5iii still a good buy now that the X7ii is inches away from release?

I've read/heard the X5iii is arguably a better buy than the original X7. The reason I ask is I am interested in the X7ii but I just bought the DX200 which I'm totally enamored with. However, I don't dare take the iBasso out of the house for fear of theft or damage as it''s the priciest DAP I currently own. The Pioneer I use at work, mostly Podcasts, zero MQA files :wink: I have some gift cards to burn and X5 price has dropped a little bit. Not to mention that Red version looks mighty sweet. I've never had a FiiO so figured the X5iii might be a good one to get for travel, something different, and utilize another set of idle IEMs I have in my collection.

Thoughts?

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #10,558 of 15,899
Is the X5iii still a good buy now that the X7ii is inches away from release?

I've read/heard the X5iii is arguably a better buy than the original X7. The reason I ask is I am interested in the X7ii but I just bought the DX200 which I'm totally enamored with. However, I don't dare take the iBasso out of the house for fear of theft or damage as it''s the priciest DAP I currently own. The Pioneer I use at work, mostly Podcasts, zero MQA files :wink: I have some gift cards to burn and X5 price has dropped a little bit. Not to mention that Red version looks mighty sweet. I've never had a FiiO so figured the X5iii might be a good one to get for travel, something different, and utilize another set of idle IEMs I have in my collection.

Thoughts?
imo, do you plan to use X5III with a line out amp.
If you just use SE out. I highly recommend waiting for x7ii. You get twice ram, and other hardware improvements on x5iii. You plan to use any apps? definitely wait for x7ii
Changeable amp modules? yep!

Also maybe you might end up liking x7ii more than dx200. things happen lol

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #10,559 of 15,899
imo, do you plan to use X5III with a line out amp.

I could. Maybe my Mojo would see more action.

If you just use SE out. I highly recommend waiting for x7ii. You get twice ram, and other hardware improvements on x5iii.

I use balanced & SE. Preference of course is balanced but when traveling I'll use SE for battery longevity.

You plan to use any apps? definitely wait for x7ii
Changeable amp modules? yep!

I do have app preferences. However I did read that the default player/Viper is pretty good on the X5. Won'tknow until I've heard and used it myself.

Also maybe you might end up liking x7ii more than dx200. things happen lol

Yup. Thus is the nature of this never ending hobby/way of life. X7ii is definitely on my radar but I'll hold out awhile at that price point as well as maybe other color/finish options that may appear.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back