Finally! I've officially upgraded, burn in q's
Dec 14, 2012 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Phoenix07013

New Head-Fier
After stalking Mr. UPS man electronically for the last couple of day he arrived bearing my latest lifestyle upgrade,
Beyerdynamic DT770 LimitedEdition 32ohm and Fiio e17 alpen and L9 LOD
I settled on this setup after two weeks of exhausting research

First impressions, out of the box, sans amp, they're nice, really nice, I don't have a reference point besides a pair of shure se110, apple earphones, and sennheiser mx680 sport headphones
A definite sound upgrade. I'll update with an actual review later on.
They definitely open up and tighten with the amp/dac combo, very glad I got it too

Currently, and this where I need help, I'm burning them in playing a loop of 24bit pink noise
(That I got from here http://archive.org/details/TenMinutesOfWhiteNoisePinkNoiseAndBrownianNoise)
6db gain, 45 volume on the amp
Volume in the computer is fairly low, the outcome is a fairly low listening level
I'm planning to do this for 4 hours then turning it off for say 30 minutes then increasing
the volume at the amp, 4 more hours, and so on until I get to a relatively high
listening level and continuing until I get to about 100 hrs

Burn in debates aside (whether it's necessary or not) what do you think of this plan?

Also, should I alternate the gain settings on the amp?

And finally, for future reference, should I leave the amp at a set volume, say its
max at 60, and set volume using the computer/iPod/iPhone? Or, does it not matter?

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 7
You will get many different opinions about burn in.  For me, I burn in headphones by listening to them!  :)    

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
After stalking Mr. UPS man electronically for the last couple of day he arrived bearing my latest lifestyle upgrade,
Beyerdynamic DT770 LimitedEdition 32ohm and Fiio e17 alpen and L9 LOD
I settled on this setup after two weeks of exhausting research
First impressions, out of the box, sans amp, they're nice, really nice, I don't have a reference point besides a pair of shure se110, apple earphones, and sennheiser mx680 sport headphones
A definite sound upgrade. I'll update with an actual review later on.
They definitely open up and tighten with the amp/dac combo, very glad I got it too
Currently, and this where I need help, I'm burning them in playing a loop of 24bit pink noise
(That I got from here http://archive.org/details/TenMinutesOfWhiteNoisePinkNoiseAndBrownianNoise)
6db gain, 45 volume on the amp
Volume in the computer is fairly low, the outcome is a fairly low listening level
I'm planning to do this for 4 hours then turning it off for say 30 minutes then increasing
the volume at the amp, 4 more hours, and so on until I get to a relatively high
listening level and continuing until I get to about 100 hrs
Burn in debates aside (whether it's necessary or not) what do you think of this plan?
Also, should I alternate the gain settings on the amp?
And finally, for future reference, should I leave the amp at a set volume, say its
max at 60, and set volume using the computer/iPod/iPhone? Or, does it not matter?

"Burn in debates aside (whether it's necessary or not) what do you think of this plan?"

Just listen to them. Out of curiosity, where did you get the notion from that such an elaborate burn in procedure has any merit?

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 7
I can respect the idea of being productive during downtime. The concept behind burn in is to get the drivers moving loosening any stiffness in the suspension. I can potentially see this effecting a long through driver like a massive JL 13"woofer. A 30-40mm headphone driver? Who knows?! Can't hurt, I wouldn't deny myself the listening pleasure however. That's just me. Enjoy your new cans!

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 7
... I wouldn't deny myself the listening pleasure however. That's just me. Enjoy your new cans!

I can't either, I just made a playlist with the 4 hrs. worth of pink noise while I'm away doing Christmassy stuff, so I'll enjoy as soon as I get home, I'll then take a listen to see if there are any discernible differences

Users who are viewing this thread

Back