Finally venturing into HiFi
Dec 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Dgiant

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, i have just started deciding what my next cans will be for when i can get my funds together. I currently have the Denon D5000, AKG K702, Phiaton Ps500, V moda crossfade Lp and Parrot Ziks(gift). I also have a pair of Shure 215 and Westone UM3x for portable use.

Out of my collection i like my Denons and AKG the most, although they are very different i think they do what they were designed for very well. I drive all my headphones from a Fiio E9 and sometimes from my Speaker amp which can also handle headphones.

Im not a complete Noob but i just wanted opinions from other people. I listen to mostly Rock, Jazz,and alternative but i do enjoy some good Hip Hop or pop also (thats when the Denons come in).

I was looking into the Audeze LCD2, Hifiman He 400/500, ultrasone edition 8, and some senneheiser HD800 (save up even longer). I want a pretty wide soundstage, maybe a little less then the AKG with good bass response, maybe a little less than the denons.

I was considering upgrading my amp too. Which should come first though is my question.

Thanks for Responses!

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 20
What about the Mad dogs? they seem to be a solid performer for the price. Also, have you considered upgrading your amp/dac? 

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:
Hi, i have just started deciding what my next cans will be for when i can get my funds together. I currently have the Denon D5000, AKG K702, Phiaton Ps500, V moda crossfade Lp and Parrot Ziks(gift). I also have a pair of Shure 215 and Westone UM3x for portable use.

Out of my collection i like my Denons and AKG the most, although they are very different i think they do what they were designed for very well. I drive all my headphones from a Fiio E9 and sometimes from my Speaker amp which can also handle headphones.

Im not a complete Noob but i just wanted opinions from other people. I listen to mostly Rock, Jazz,and alternative but i do enjoy some good Hip Hop or pop also (thats when the Denons come in).

I was looking into the Audeze LCD2, Hifiman He 400/500 and some senneheiser HD800 (save up even longer). I want a pretty wide soundstage, maybe a little less then the AKG with good bass response, maybe a little less than the denons.

I was considering upgrading my amp too. Which should come first though is my question.

Thanks for Responses!

I only own Denon D2000's and HiFIMAN HE-400s (Schiit Magni/Modi amp/dac)

So, take my suggestion as you will,

BUT the HE-400s sound like a perfect fit for what I bolded above... a little less sub bass kick than the denons and and a wide soundstage. also very impressed with the detailing and overall attack and accuracy. better than the denon D2Ks (haven't heard D5K)

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 20
I have heard that the d2k and d5k are nearly identical. According to your answer the he 400 looks great. I'm wondering how the he400 compare to the he 500 and audeze though.

Also would upgrading to the Schiit M&m stack be sufficient for all the headphones I mentioned or no?

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
I have heard that the d2k and d5k are nearly identical. According to your answer the he 400 looks great. I'm wondering how the he400 compare to the he 500 and audeze though.

Also would upgrading to the Schiit M&m stack be sufficient for all the headphones I mentioned or no?

Like I said I only own the D2Ks and HE-400s, but from what I have heard the HE-500s offer better detailing and have slightly less bass than the HE-400s (which have plenty)

According to Schiit, Magni is good with HE-400/500 and AUDEZE LCD2, but I haven't tried it with anything but my headphones. I can say it works great though - very neutral with plenty of power.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 20
Just a small question but, are the cups for the hifiman made of anodized aluminum or just blue plastic?

Also to other head fiers, how does the audeze bass compare to the he 400 and denon d5k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back