Find Your Perfect Companion (Full-Sized Headphone) Thread
Feb 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bngbox

Head-Fier
The Idea:

I don't know if the attempt of this thread will be futile or not, but it's worth a shot. I noticed that some people have created new threads or short threads asking for companion or pairing headphones, but those threads never got very far. I know that this may sound a lot like the Recommendations Thread, but hear me out. This is more about specifying a companion for a headphone and filling a gap in our audio than just finding any headphone. All our headphones need someone to be with (or more than one, if you believe in that :wink:) and sometimes it's hard to find the right match! Most of us will agree that no one headphone does everything we want it to, right? So let's all collectively help each other and find matching headphones based on our specific conditions. I know we all have different preferences to fill in those gaps for those headphones but there are a ton of people here with a lot of experiences that can help us newbies and/or seasoned head-fiers out!

To be more specific, try to detail your headphone you have and want a companion for, your music preferences for that new companion phone, price range, type (open, closed, semi, dynamic, orthodynamic, electrostatic, etc.), what qualities you want in the phone that are missing from the phone you have, amps/DACs you will use (or not use), what headphones you're already considering, and any further, specific details that can help us find you your new headphone!

(Sorry about the editing of this post. I'm on an iPhone and I'll edit it to be more exciting looking when I get back to my laptop!) I'll also add more references to this when I get the chance.

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 13
I'll start:

Okay, so I'm looking for a companion headphone for my HD598's. Clearly these are better on the highs and mids so I'm looking for a headphone to fill in the gap of all the bass levels. I love the Sennheiser's for my alternative bands, female vocals, and live work. But I need something for my pop, hip-hop, electronic, etc.

I've narrowed it down to the DT770 Pro as my first choice, and the HD650's and HE-400 as my other options. I have demoed the HD650's and I like them for pop, electronic, etc. and they're warm and fun but I find them lacking in the mids and soundstage quite a bit compared to my 598's. So in this case, I feel like it can be a good partner. I can also get them for a cheaper price, around $370 USD here in China and I know that would be a great opportunity to own a great pair of headphones that can also scale up when I have more money because I hear they can go quite a long ways with you over time. I've also heard great things about the HE-400's and they sound like a sound signature I would like and it would be cool to own an ortho. Finally, the closed-back, bassier DT770 Pro sounds right up my alley as I hear the bass is prominent and nice and controlled. I may be able to demo the Beyers soon but I most likely won't be able to hear the Hifi's at all, anywhere near me so I would have to wing those. I'm basically considering these three based on all that I've read. The phones don't necessarily have to be the most neutral because I'll use my 598's for that stuff, they just have to be fun and right for the music.

Additionally, I'll be sourcing from my Lenovo and my DAC/Amp is a Fiio E17/E09K at the moment. I won't be upgrading those for a while but certainly will to some new Schiit in the future, so scaling up can be a consideration for your suggestion if you want it to be, but doesn't necessarily matter right now. I'll be keeping my HD598's and this new can for a while too.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 13
The DT770/80 is a very good complement to the 598. Strong sub-bass, slightly recessed mids and non-fatiguing treble. Isolation is a nice plus when you need it. Comfort and build quality are very neat for the price. The E17/E09K combo has no problems driving it, as I used to have the E9 drive my old 770 as well.

Can't speak anything for the HE400 though since I have not heard it.

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 13
I have the HE-400 and they have plenty of bass. Goes incredibly low and is always very well controlled. They always seem to have the right amount of bass. Not bass heavy on tracks that don't have a lot of bass, but play hip hop or anything else that calls for lots of bass and its incredible. Quite a bit more expensive than the Beyers though. They may be more of an upgrade rather than a compliment to your current cans.

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 13
Out of the three you mentioned I would take the HD650 off the list if your looking for a headphone to go with pop, hip hop, electronic, etc.  I own the HD600 but I've heard both and IMO it just doesn't deliver the energy/punch that I like to hear for those genre.  It just sounds boring for anything other than classical, jazz, duets.. you know, anything for sitting back and drinking a cup of tea.

I just got the HE-400 a few days a go.  I mainly got them because I was looking for an exciting headphone with those magical ortho mids to match.  

My honest opinion?  These are great headphones and anyone who is looking for a dynamic set of cans shouldn't pass these up.  For a set of open headphones the bass quantity is great and the quality is even better.  It actually caught me off guard just how much impact these could deliver w/out EQ, however these don't add bass when their is none to be added, unlike my denons.  However when their is bass in the song you can definitely hear it fully.  Of course, the bass doesn't compare to my denons, but for an open headphone it's certainly impressive.  The mids, imo, are better than my 598.  They may be more pronounced on the 598, but the he-400's mids are just in another class of quality imo.  I think the 598 have now replaced my Q701 for my least used headphones, although I haven't used them much anyways since I got the HD600.  The highs definitely have sparkle, but their in no way fatiguing (as many have already stated).  Overall these headphones sound good with everything Ive thrown at them so far.  One word to describe these; dynamic.  Some of my other headphones have more fun factor like my denon d5000 and my dt990, but these are probably a better all around headphone.  It has a bit of everything to it.

I haven't heard the DT770 so i cant comment on that but for what you plan on using these for I definitely recommend the HE-400.  So far it sounds fantastic with my edm collection.  If you want a headphone with a bit more fun then maybe consider the DT990 because it has more mid bass and sparkle in the treble.

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 13
Out of the three you mentioned I would take the HD650 off the list if your looking for a headphone to go with pop, hip hop, electronic, etc.  I own the HD600 but I've heard both and IMO it just doesn't deliver the energy/punch that I like to hear for those genre.  It just sounds boring for anything other than classical, jazz, duets.. you know, anything for sitting back and drinking a cup of tea.

I just got the HE-400 a few days a go.  I mainly got them because I was looking for an exciting headphone with those magical ortho mids to match.  

My honest opinion?  These are great headphones and anyone who is looking for a dynamic set of cans shouldn't pass these up.  For a set of open headphones the bass quantity is great and the quality is even better.  It actually caught me off guard just how much impact these could deliver w/out EQ, however these don't add bass when their is none to be added, unlike my denons.  However when their is bass in the song you can definitely hear it fully.  Of course, the bass doesn't compare to my denons, but for an open headphone it's certainly impressive.  The mids, imo, are better than my 598.  They may be more pronounced on the 598, but the he-400's mids are just in another class of quality imo.  I think the 598 have now replaced my Q701 for my least used headphones, although I haven't used them much anyways since I got the HD600.  The highs definitely have sparkle, but their in no way fatiguing (as many have already stated).  Overall these headphones sound good with everything Ive thrown at them so far.  One word to describe these; dynamic.  Some of my other headphones have more fun factor like my denon d5000 and my dt990, but these are probably a better all around headphone.  It has a bit of everything to it.

I haven't heard the DT770 so i cant comment on that but for what you plan on using these for I definitely recommend the HE-400.  So far it sounds fantastic with my edm collection.  If you want a headphone with a bit more fun then maybe consider the DT990 because it has more mid bass and sparkle in the treble.

Thanks to you and skinnygamer12 for your advice!! I'm starting to like the sound of the HE-400's but I'm afraid that they'll replace the HD598's as an upgrade all together. Do you think this would probably be the case? I've only had the Senn's for about 6 months so it would be a shame to replace my investment already. I'd rather have a compliment phone than a replacement. I guess it would also depend on what I think the sound is better for on the HE-400's. But it seems like everyone thinks its an upgrade.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 13
It depends on your mood. The quality of the HE-400 is awesome, but they are a bit dark. The upper mids and treble up to about 9kHz are somewhat recessed, so if you want something bright for a certain genre than the 598 may still get some use. But the 400s are pretty addictive, fair warning... I know how you feel about "wasting" the Senns, but if you have the money for the Hifimans they can make your jaw drop.

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 13
Maybe you should try describing everything you find missing with the 598.

Basically looking for something to fill in the bass gap with tight, clean, punchy, and decently prominent but not overpowering bass. I'm sure none of these headphones are overpowering so that is good! The mids need to be clean but not necessarily as prominent as my 598's. Basically just a pop, hip-hop, electronic, dance, dubstep headphone.

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #11 of 13
I would definitely recommend the DT990.  Bass and mids fit the description.  Another headphone I'd seriously recommend you look at is the Ultrasone Pro 900.  I'll quote something I read here in the forum that I fully agree with; they are "mid bass monsters".  I don't know how you like your bass but for me it was an end game solution.  But the thing I love about them is that while being as prominent and monstrous as it is, the bass is clean and focused.  When I tried them out I felt like it didn't interfere with the mids or treble at all.  Mids were recessed obviously but they were clear.  Their treble is a love/hate thing.  I liked it, but that's just my like for that sparkle.  Comparing them to my dt990 pro, they had a bit less sparkle in the treble but they definitely had more bass.  The pro 900 headphones are really great imo.  When I tried them out, I wanted to go an harass all my friends with more of my audio talk.  Their going to be my next purchase 
tongue.gif
.  Their also closed, but I feel that their soundstage was surprisingly good for a closed headphone.  Id seriously recommend you try them before buying.  The bass or treble may be too much for you.  If it is, I would recommend their open back counterpart the Pro 2900, but their way more expensive.  

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #12 of 13
Hmm. I'll definitely have to test those out! I was afraid the 990's would be too open but I can test those out so I'll have to see! Gahh I hope I can test these out in Hong Kong when I go because I'm getting antsy haha

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #13 of 13
I ended up going with the DT770 Pro's because I got them at a good price here in HK and I actually couldn't find the HE-400's in any of the stores that were supposed to have them!

Anyway, I think the Beyers are better suited as just a companion to the HD598's! The initial impressions after I tried them in the store and after I opened them at home were impressive. It has so much bass and has such a great soundstage for a closed headphone. I'm not worried about that as much because the Senn's will be handling the soundstage music, but still a great, well made headphone. Thanks for the suggestions guys! Maybe I'll move on to the HE-400's in the future!

I definitely encourage people to use this thread to find companions for their headphones as people here have a lot of great knowledge and experience with these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back