Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Jul 25, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #2,956 of 6,433
That's the scariest tour instructions I have ever seen. And then I remember each one of these IEM costs as much as an average 64 Audio TOTL :dt880smile:
Well, if it helps, I’ve had these just about 2 weeks now, and since first hearing them I’ve felt a continuous nagging compulsion to grab them for a listen.

Especially the Ne4 and Xe6, I just can’t get them out of my head.

Jul 26, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #2,957 of 6,433
For real, this is probably the first time ever I read a negative comment about Musicteck on Head-fi, and I have probably seen MT mentioned on HF hundreds of times, and always with high praises.
Same here. Andrew @MusicTeck is probably the most universally praised person in the community in my experience, and with very good reason because his service is impeccable.

Jul 27, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #2,958 of 6,433
nft this.
nft_this.png

Calling GVee right now.

Just had a final AB testing on demos of XE6 and aroma jewel, I think XE6 is the best on bass, live and concert, electric guitar, EDM and pop rock. But for female vocal jazz and classical, jewel that’s really a jewel! They r at the same peformance level and just hitting different music genres. I cannot say 2 items are all-round items but I will definitely go to XE6 ciem 🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

As a loyal JH audio user for over a decade. I am familiar with their house BA sound, I think XE6 will project me a new tribrid listening experience! Ear mold is ready woohoo 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Congratulations! You won't be disappointed.

I've had bad experiences with Fir Audio and their QC. Musicteck I don't recommend either, as they don't allow you to use their return or exchange policy without hassle. THEY DEFLECT RESPONSIBILITY of their merchandise sending you down a rabbit hole of manufacture exchanges that include immature and emotional email correspondence, using exclamation marks on your RMAs then sending faulty replacements for no good reason. There have been reports of their demo units failing also across the internet forums. I guess I didn't go with my gut. I recently purchased a Massdrop Empire Ears Zeus for only $450. To help me cope with the stress and depression from this $3000 purchase. I hope no one else has to deal with this type BS and honestly the Zeus works and has more resolution.

I find this hard to believe - Musicteck and FiR have some of the best customer support in the game (as folks have stated, Andrew is universally praised here, and that is rare for anyone in this community to have such standing).

I see Bogdan has already offered to support you privately, and I would highly encourage you to take him up on his offer directly.

Well, if it helps, I’ve had these just about 2 weeks now, and since first hearing them I’ve felt a continuous nagging compulsion to grab them for a listen.

Especially the Ne4 and Xe6, I just can’t get them out of my head.

That's a very good problem to have.

Jul 27, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #2,959 of 6,433
Jul 27, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #2,961 of 6,433
I've had bad experiences with Fir Audio and their QC. Musicteck I don't recommend either, as they don't allow you to use their return or exchange policy without hassle. THEY DEFLECT RESPONSIBILITY of their merchandise sending you down a rabbit hole of manufacture exchanges that include immature and emotional email correspondence, using exclamation marks on your RMAs then sending faulty replacements for no good reason. There have been reports of their demo units failing also across the internet forums. I guess I didn't go with my gut. I recently purchased a Massdrop Empire Ears Zeus for only $450. To help me cope with the stress and depression from this $3000 purchase. I hope no one else has to deal with this type BS and honestly the Zeus works and has more resolution.
I think between me and a few friends we've racked up close to half a million dollars spent with MT without a single bad transaction...

The return and exchange policy is generally non-existent in the IEM market. All of them will charge you what MT does - 15% restocking, and will make it a generally difficult process. Once you get CIEMs returns are completely out of the window too.

Jul 27, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #2,962 of 6,433
I think between me and a few friends we've racked up close to half a million dollars spent with MT without a single bad transaction...

The return and exchange policy is generally non-existent in the IEM market. All of them will charge you what MT does - 15% restocking, and will make it a generally difficult process. Once you get CIEMs returns are completely out of the window too.
If I am not mistaken, isn't the the restocking fee there because Musicteck has to re-sell the open box?

Anyways, I like how this ended up turning into an open advertisement. I guess I'll join the bandwagon. I am a new buyer (2 transactions). So far it's been hassle-free.

6o1j1s.jpg

Jul 27, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #2,963 of 6,433
Just a question about the Atom XS screw fittings.

I have just got the Neon 4 and was trying out the black "filters". When installing them the left hand side fits flush with the IEM body, however the right hand side seems more difficult to insert and will not fit flush.

Is this expected/unusual? Plus does it make any difference?

Many thanks in advance

Steve
The insertion depth apparently makes no difference. I saw it noted on FiR site somewhere they are “soft” threaded on the iem. You can just push the ATOM XS modules into the shell, the threads are only there to assist in backing them out again.
There is also no stop at the bottom, so they can thread in pretty deep, which FiR also says will not cause issues.
I think the little plastic collar on the hex wrench is there to limit insertion depth.
As long as you’re confident the module is secure and won’t fall out, you should be good.

Jul 27, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #2,964 of 6,433
The insertion depth apparently makes no difference. I saw it noted on FiR site somewhere they are “soft” threaded on the iem. You can just push the ATOM XS modules into the shell, the threads are only there to assist in backing them out again.
There is also no stop at the bottom, so they can thread in pretty deep, which FiR also says will not cause issues.
I think the little plastic collar on the hex wrench is there to limit insertion depth.
As long as you’re confident the module is secure and won’t fall out, you should be good.
Many thanks.

I have to say I've not been overly stressed about it since they sound so beautiful.

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #2,965 of 6,433
If I am not mistaken, isn't the the restocking fee there because Musicteck has to re-sell the open box?

Anyways, I like how this ended up turning into an open advertisement. I guess I'll join the bandwagon. I am a new buyer (2 transactions). So far it's been hassle-free.

hello just passing by, your XE6 first reaction youtube video is so good and I am still craving for your full review :)

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #2,967 of 6,433
I appreciate it. Apologies for taking a while. Finding time to edit the video. My little one has been taking up most of my free time lately 🌞

Screenshot_20220727-221141_Gallery.jpg
cool she's cute!

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #2,968 of 6,433
I have been enjoying Krypton 5 for about two weeks now. These are my first FIR Audio IEMs.

I have been following FIR Audio for a long time and have read a bunch of super positive reviews, especially regarding the M series. I must say that a cool presentation video of the Frontier Series made me think about buying my first FA IEMs :relaxed: I did not have the opportunity to listen to them, but thanks to the twister6 review I understood that most probably Krypton 5 and potentially Xenon 6 could be my cup of tea. So, having taken my leap of faith with Krypton 5, I was not disappointed at all. Frankly speaking, I was not expecting to be impressed that much (see my IEMs collection).

photo_2022-07-14_14-48-09.jpg
photo_2022-07-14_14-48-11.jpg
photo_2022-07-14_14-48-12.jpg
photo_2022-07-14_14-48-09 (2).jpg

These IEMs are beautifully made - the shell and faceplate look like a work of art.
The only thing that comes to my mind of the same level is the Noble Sultan.
I'm not sure how durable the chrome plating will be, but so far I haven't had any problems.

The stock cable is of good quality. I am not a huge cable believer although I have a couple of more or less expensive IEM cables (at least for me :)), but I have not yet been tempted to switch stock cable yet.

I got the best fit and isolation with Final E-tips (stock ear-tips don't fit me well).

Most importantly, I find Krypton 5 to sound amazing. I listened to Krypton 5 with what I have now - iBasso DX240 (AMP8 Mk2) and Chord Mojo 2. It seems to me that with sources of a higher class, these IEMs will be able to reveal their potential even more. The presentation is engaging, natural, and lively. But at the same time very technical, with a good level of detail.

Bass is not overwhelmingly impactful, holographic, and really fast.
These IEMs could play the BADBADNOTGOOD BBNG2 album exceptionally well. There is a lot of natural and synthetic bass (e.g. Rotten Decay track) and most of the IEMs I heard couldn't render it with that level of detail and that beautiful timing and control.

photo_2022-07-26_00-36-43.jpg

The mids are really good - detailed and natural.
Highs are quite well extended and crisp. I like highs on Empire Ears Odin a little bit more since it seems to have a bit more energy there (cymbal overflows have more spark).

Soundstage is huge - it is a pleasure to listen to live and orchestral music.

I like Krypton 5 with the gold Atom XS module the most. The sound signature changes noticeably with different modules, but the overall signature remains recognizable.

I could not find a single genre that these headphones did not do exceptionally well (from hip hop and death/black metal to jazz and classic music).

Overall, I am very glad that I now have such a gem in my collection.
Now I'm wondering how good Xenon 6 comparing to Krypton 5 :relaxed:

Thanks a lot, Musicteck and Andrew for the opportunity to buy Krypton 5 with a promo discount! To be honest, I was very surprised to see the negative comment about this store. I moved to the US about a year ago. In that relatively short period of time, I have bought almost half of my gear there and have never had any problems. IMO it is the best audiophile store in the US if not the world :relaxed:

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #2,969 of 6,433
I have been enjoying Krypton 5 for about two weeks now. These are my first FIR Audio IEMs.

photo_2022-07-14_14-48-09.jpgphoto_2022-07-14_14-48-11.jpgphoto_2022-07-14_14-48-12.jpgphoto_2022-07-14_14-48-09 (2).jpg

I didn’t expect these IEMs to look this good. I think this is the first time I see them in good lighting condition.

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #2,970 of 6,433

I have been following FIR Audio for a long time and have read a bunch of super positive reviews, especially regarding the M series. I must say that a cool presentation video of the Frontier Series made me think about buying my first FA IEMs :relaxed: I did not have the opportunity to listen to them, but thanks to the twister6 review I understood that most probably Krypton 5 and potentially Xenon 6 could be my cup of tea. So, having taken my leap of faith with Krypton 5, I was not disappointed at all. Frankly speaking, I was not expecting to be impressed that much (see my IEMs collection).

photo_2022-07-14_14-48-09.jpgphoto_2022-07-14_14-48-11.jpgphoto_2022-07-14_14-48-12.jpgphoto_2022-07-14_14-48-09 (2).jpg

These IEMs are beautifully made - the shell and faceplate look like a work of art.
The only thing that comes to my mind of the same level is the Noble Sultan.
I'm not sure how durable the chrome plating will be, but so far I haven't had any problems.

The stock cable is of good quality. I am not a huge cable believer although I have a couple of more or less expensive IEM cables (at least for me :)), but I have not yet been tempted to switch stock cable yet.

I got the best fit and isolation with Final E-tips (stock ear-tips don't fit me well).

Most importantly, I find Krypton 5 to sound amazing. I listened to Krypton 5 with what I have now - iBasso DX240 (AMP8 Mk2) and Chord Mojo 2. It seems to me that with sources of a higher class, these IEMs will be able to reveal their potential even more. The presentation is engaging, natural, and lively. But at the same time very technical, with a good level of detail.

Bass is not overwhelmingly impactful, holographic, and really fast.
These IEMs could play the BADBADNOTGOOD BBNG2 album exceptionally well. There is a lot of natural and synthetic bass (e.g. Rotten Decay track) and most of the IEMs I heard couldn't render it with that level of detail and that beautiful timing and control.

photo_2022-07-26_00-36-43.jpg

The mids are really good - detailed and natural.
Highs are quite well extended and crisp, but it seems to me that the cymbals are a little lacking in sonority, they seem to be a little muffled. Maybe I'm too spoiled with what modern EST drivers can produce.

Soundstage is huge - it is a pleasure to listen to live and orchestral music.

I like Krypton 5 with the gold Atom XS module the most. The sound signature changes noticeably with different modules, but the overall signature remains recognizable.

I could not find a single genre that these headphones did not do exceptionally well (from hip hop and death/black metal to jazz and classic music).

Overall, I am very glad that I now have such a gem in my collection.
Now I'm wondering how good Xenon 6 comparing to Krypton 5 :relaxed:

Thanks a lot, Musicteck and Andrew for the opportunity to buy Krypton 5 with a promo discount! To be honest, I was very surprised to see the negative comment about this store. I moved to the US about a year ago. In that relatively short period of time, I have bought almost half of my gear there and have never had any problems. IMO it is the best audiophile store in the US if not the world :relaxed:
I looked at your singature - which IEMs are you referring to when you mentioned the cymbals? I'm asking mostly because I'm obsessed with upper treble, and no estat that I've tried has been able to match Tia for extension, speed and detail in the upper treble. FiR and 64 also tend to exaggerate it a lot so it becomes very apparent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back