Firestone Audio Tube Head preamp VS Yaqin Tube Buffer
Mar 25, 2009 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TubeStack

500+ Head-Fier
I'm currently looking for something to place between my iPod Classic and my home stereo receiver to help warm up the sound, ideally giving it a bit of that ol' tube magic.

My receiver is a Harmon Kardon 3390 that has preamp-out/main-amp-in jacks (which is where the following units would get connected, I think?)

I've been looking at Firestone Audio's Tube Head preamplifier

4621l.jpg

and Yaqin's Tube Buffer.

Y_Tube_Buff_Front.JPG

I've emailed Firestone and they said the Tube Head is perfect for my desired application, the guy even said that's exactly how he's got his hooked up. I haven't contacted Yaqin.

Anyone have experience with either of these units that could help share some of the pros and/or cons of each one?

Or can anyone comment on the pros and cons of the tech-side/methodology of each approach? Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 14
I am getting a core audio tube buffer for exactly same reason, between ipod and amp. Will let you know how it sounds.

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 14
Go with the Firestone Tubehead.
It's a great piece of kit and very versatile.
You'll be using it all over the place.
Excellent bang for the buck.

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Catcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am getting a core audio tube buffer for exactly same reason, between ipod and amp. Will let you know how it sounds.

Cool, I appreciate that. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go with the Firestone Tubehead.
It's a great piece of kit and very versatile.
You'll be using it all over the place.
Excellent bang for the buck.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll probably end up doing.

I'm hoping that it'll help juice up (ie increase the volume of) my iPod line-out signal, as well. I've recently Mp3Gain-ed my entire library at the recommended -89db and am finding it not loud enough w/ heavy rock (ie Metallica, Rage, etc).

Also just found a Canadian dealer online, so that helps with price, shipping, duty, etc.

Thanks for the advice!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 14
I own the B-283 tube buffer, the Yaqin with two 6J1 tubes... I don't think that you can make it louder if it's between the pre and power amp. For that purpose, I would cross my fingers and try before the preamp. If you decide for the Yaqin, then check the Grant Fidelity website.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the B-283 tube buffer, the Yaqin with two 6J1 tubes... I don't think that you can make it louder if it's between the pre and power amp. For that purpose, I would cross my fingers and try before the preamp. If you decide for the Yaqin, then check the Grant Fidelity website.

Cool, thanks for the info.

How would you describe the tube buffer's effect on the overall sound?

Is it pronounced and/or highly noticeable?

Does it smooth out high-end harshness? Does it make music recorded pre-80s sound a little more warm and vinyl-like? Will it help make a 70s-recorded hi-hat sound less brittle and sharp?

Lots of questions... and maybe some inflated expectations on my part....
dt880smile.png

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 14
I understand your questions...

The B-283 is my first tube device and I'm still discovering it. So far, I can tell the difference is noticeable but subtle. However, I'm not experienced enough to really help you. I've also used it only with the stock 6J1 tubes and a pair of JRP-6AK5, that I prefer. Now, I'm waiting for M8100s...

Please note that others could correctly disagree with me, saying that it's a "pronounced" improvement. Godkin or Gradofan2 may comment in that way, if your lucky enough...

Down to earth : It's a cheap device to experiment with tubes. You can plug it almost anyhow and anywhere. Ian at Grant Fidelity gives an incredible support. I would buy it again !

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TubeStack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, thanks for the info.
Does it smooth out high-end harshness? Does it make music recorded pre-80s sound a little more warm and vinyl-like? Will it help make a 70s-recorded hi-hat sound less brittle and sharp?

Yes, it does exactly that!

I have the Grant Audio B-283 (same as Yaqin CD2) on my home stereo and your description above exactly descibes the sound. Goodbye harsness, hello 'big fat round tone'...

I would not turn my stereo on, without it!!

In addition, I tried the B-283 today between the Ipod and Mini3 and I am going to order another unit to use on the desk headphone rig at work.

They are extremely well built (will last a lifetime) they have a mich more robust transformer that you NEED for proper tube operation.

Get one, you won't regret it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back