First Headphone Setup Advise for PS1000
Sep 14, 2011 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

akiraw86

New Head-Fier
Hello Head Fi members!!

I am finally financially able to start purchasing some nice equipment!
After listening to a friends audio setup and having a eargasm, I've been craving to have my own.
Have spent the last few weeks looking through threads and so far these are the equipment that looks appealing to me.

Grado PS1000
Beyerdynamic DT880
Woo audio W6 amplifier
Pico DAC from headamp.com

I plan to use the Beyerdynamic DT880 for classical music.
The PS1000 will be used for alternative music and also watching movies and anime ( I know that sounds ridiculous but I am getting these for a really cheap price.)
Would these headphones fit my needs?

The amp and DAC would be my main concern as I am very confused of what kind of sound they would produce.
They would be connected to my PC.
I am hoping these parts would suffice until I have a lot more money to burn on better equipment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 33
As owner of both PS1000 and DT880, I strongly recommend you to choose other headphones.

Amps and DAC indeed affect the sound, but not as much as your headphones do. Getting right headphones first is good start.

Plus : I am not so sure how much you are paying for PS1000, but if you pay any more than 1k, there are some alternative.

....wait actually you can find better headphones at as cheap as 300$. :p

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 33

Quote:
As owner of both PS1000 and DT800, I strongly recommend you to choose other headphones.

Amps and DAC indeed affect the sound, but not as much as your headphones do. Getting right headphones first is good start.

Plus : I am not so sure how much you are paying for PS1000, but if you pay any more than 1k, there are some alternative.

....wait actually you can find better headphones at as cheap as 300$. :p

I would be getting the PS1000 for $1000

What headphones do you recommend?
I have about $2500 to burn.

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 33
Well, first of all, did you hear any of headphones you mentioned? What headphones did you listen at your friend's house?

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 33
I'd get a car and call it a day :)

do you have a preferred sound signature?

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 33

Quote:
I'd get a car and call it a day :)

do you have a preferred sound signature?

Picking up a Lexus GS350 soon
But rather have my headphones now...
much more crucial to daily needs

Quote:
Well, first of all, did you hear any of headphones you mentioned? What headphones did you listen at your friend's house?

Heard about 5 different headphones. Only know that I listened to a AKG K701 and some audio technica headphones.
unable to contact friend for info as it was more of a acquaintance

Do you know of any place I can audition headphones in the bay area?

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 33

Quote:

Picking up a Lexus GS350 soon
But rather have my headphones now...
much more crucial to daily needs

Heard about 5 different headphones. Only know that I listened to a AKG K701 and some audio technica headphones.
unable to contact friend for info as it was more of a acquaintance

Do you know of any place I can audition headphones in the bay area?

There aren't many places to audition, and all of them I know of only carry Grado. So there are basically... none.

But you heard K701 and Audio-Technica which are very good information for us. How was K701? and how was those Audio-Technica (ATs are usually similar in general.)?

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 33
The AKGs sounded very neutral but clear so I figured they would be good for classical music. but after doing some research I saw many reviews that the DT880s were awesome for classical. I didn't too much of an impact from the audio technica but from what I can recall it didnt have much bass.

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #9 of 33
I wouldn't dismiss your intial plan just beacuse someone here "strongly recomend" anything....

I paid over US$2000 for my PS-1000, I'm very happy with them. Doesn't mean you will be but I'm guessing you'll want to find out for yourself.
If you don't like them you can always sell them.
Probably for more than you gave, if you sell them to someone outside the US.

Good luck and please post what you dicide and what you think of your new headphones :)

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #10 of 33
I suggest with 2.5k budget, you may want to go safe route.

1.) Audeze LCD-2 for pretty much everything (yes, this thing will handle many things well.)
2.) Headroom Desktop Amp (solid-state amp, DAC is included)

This setup will cost you 1.7k. Very simple yet powerful that will last a while.

You will ended up about 600$ left. If you want yet another headphones, you want to get headphones very different from LCD-2. I suggest...

1.) Grado SR-225i OR Alessandro Music Series 2. (I recommend you to buy flat pads for them)
2.) Beyer DT880 and/or AKG Q701 (it is newest version of K701).

But DT880 and Q701 overlaps a bit with LCD-2. Since you listen to alternative, I suggest you to grab Grado or Alessandro (I suggest later one.) Unless you want both choices, you will still have some money left, and I suggest you to use that for better purpose.

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #11 of 33

Quote:
I wouldn't dismiss your intial plan just beacuse someone here "strongly recomend" anything....

I paid over US$2000 for my PS-1000, I'm very happy with them. Doesn't mean you will be but I'm guessing you'll want to find out for yourself.

Good luck and please post what you dicide and what you think of your new headphones :)

Thank you for the input!
and definately will keep up with these forums!

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 33

Quote:

That's such dangerous suggestion. PS-1000 have just so many glaring flaws that they are just unsuitable for person who are relatively new to headphones. There is a reason why these headphones are rarely talked in this forum.

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #13 of 33
Reading up a few threads about the Audeze LCD-2.
Sounds like they are amazing

Just curious what are your primary uses for these headphones wnmnkh?
Your interest are quite similar to mine and also you watch anime lol

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #14 of 33
I mostly listen while I work. Also very handy when watching video, etc.

And yes, LCD-2 are very good for its price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back