First Impression of the HD 598
Dec 31, 2010 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

MRiNiCK

500+ Head-Fier
FIRST OF ALL: I'm no Audiophile expert
 I bought the 598 in eBay on the JR Store for 170$ msrp i believe 340$
I have used these cans for 2 days now, both for inside and outside (yes outside). I must say the cable is pretty long but the 10 foot cable was good for me to rest on my couch and plug in the 6.3mm into my TV and enjoy some movies.
Now I wont be doing this all the time, so I might get them shorten.  I also used 598 on my piano which i was amazed that the 6.3mm fit perfectly, now I can play my piano at night without disturbing anyone.
the next day I went out to work with the 598 with my ipod touch 2nd gen no amp yet(will be getting Ibasso t3 or Fiio e7 soon)
Now i work in NYC which if you don't know is a very loud place anytime of the day. First, express bus i had these on in the 6-70% volume mark took off my headphone and was able to hear some sound leakage.
On the Train well i put the volume at 80-90% and was still able to hear the train noise of course. but no sound leakage since it was too noisy
and last when i walked home i was able to enjoy them since it was quiet around me, no-one interrupting me

The build quality  is good, made up of plastic,  polished wood accent around the ear cups. Very well designed, the 3rd reason why I wanted these headphone
Comfort on these cans are amazing. When I first put them on i was surprised as soft the pads were, after a couple of hours of listening to them, I still forgot i had these on. The padding is velour which i guess is another type of velvet.

Time for the sound. Again I'm No AUDIOPHILE EXPERT
Bass there good, tried listening to a couple of hip/hop and was pleased with it. I'm no bass-head
The highs and Mids are where these cans are good at. They were crisp clean and detailed that you can hear every little sound being used. I wasn't able to hear any of this with my v-moda remix and wesc bongo. and this is a big step up.
the lows were OK but then again The highs and mids took care of it.
Now this is what I think, without an amp bass might be good after burn and having an amp, lows and mids and high might even get more detailed than I imagine but time will tell.

Update: Music I used were DubStep, Techno, All Diferrent kinds of Rock, and a little of HipHop/Rap running between 256-320kbps

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 54
Got them for about a month. Using them mainly for xbox gaming which as expected blows away my other crummy turtlebeaches. My enemies footsteps are nakedly exposed, so I know the direction and distance they are at. And COMFORT, they are super comfortable. A pleasure to wear them in fact.

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 54
NoXter & me were part of the bunch who got sample exemplars Sennheiser sent to those in the german forum who were interested some months ago. Never liked the Sennheiser sound particulary, the old 595 was a boring dullhead, I prefer the K518 to the HD25, I'm not a fan of HD600 & HD650, and also the HD800 isn't my cup of tea.

Those HD558 & 598 are very different though. I would say they are the most musical cans Senn has built in this decade. I highly recommend them, although they come 4-5 years too late for me personally.

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 54
Possible, but not inevitable.

The sheer tonality isn't that unsennish, it's the fun & musicality that is untypical. But I can't put my finger on what makes one can's sound entertaining and what makes the other one's boring. It's not a boom boom bass à la US or Denon dead sure though!

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 54
How do you describe the highs? I'm more in favor of sharper/aggressive highs than the warm/smooth ones normally found in Sennheisers. I KNOW they won't be as sharp as I'm used to, but I want them sharper than the typical house sound.

It's too late as I have just bought it, but I'd still like to know.

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 54
A bit more sparkle...

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 54
Good, good. That's what I wanna hear.

I know how much head-fi loves it's warm and smooth treble.

I bought the ESW9 thinking they'd be something special, and they were anything but. So much warmth and smoothness, it felt like the entire spectrum was veiled. SCREW THAT. And yes, they were real.

Bright/Aggressive >>>>>> warm/smooth/laid back

Though the D7000 is just.... <3

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 54

Quote:
Possible, but not inevitable.

The sheer tonality isn't that unsennish, it's the fun & musicality that is untypical. But I can't put my finger on what makes one can's sound entertaining and what makes the other one's boring. It's not a boom boom bass à la US or Denon dead sure though!

I love the fun and energetic presentation of my MS-1i so the assumption would be that I'd find the HD650 slow, boring and veiled. Strangely, that's not the case. I actually find it just as engaging, fun and musical as my Alessandro. I really can't comprehend how a headphone can sound "boring".

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 54
Me too, but it does happen every time I listen to my songs with specific models.

But as you mention the MS1, when you love the snappyness and the tiptoeing factor of the MS1, they managed to get part of that into the 558 and 598 IMO.

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 54
I want Sennheiser to re-release the old HD580, and AKG the K501, but I guess that isnt going to happen anytime soon. 

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #14 of 54

Quote:
I received my 598's a few weeks ago and I am amazed by the detail in my music.  Have only spent about 5 hours listening to them but am hoping to get some more time in with them soon.

Yeah I know im guessing they need more burn in and amp since i dont have one yet

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #15 of 54
ALSO, lately when listening to my music and i move around a little they seem to be making noise on the side of the band.
I heard that 555 get cracks in the middle, will this happen to the 598 over a period of time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back