Fishing
Aug 28, 2007 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Claus-DK

1000+ Head-Fier
Well I just wanted to start a thread on fishing, there are so many gadgets in this hobby, that there is bound to be some of the headfier that fish, you can even combine the headfi with this hobby...

Personally I fish for trout and carplike fish and sometimes in the ocean but that is not very often..

Aug 29, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 11
I live in Colorado so I spend my summers fishing up here when I'm not in school in Boston.

Freshwater trout fishing kicks ass. I'm just starting to get into fly-fishing but it's hard when I only get to spend a couple months at home.

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 11
Fly fishing here. You wanna talk gear? Holy cow...
smily_headphones1.gif

There are few better ways to relax than taking a day off and casting some flies...

GAD

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 11
I tend to fish for whatever swims, wherever I am.

Salt water fishing in the Gulf of Mexico is my favorite. I live in suburban Chicago, so it generally involves some delayed gratification, so to speak.

Shimano Bait Runner reel on Daiwa Sealine-X surf rod, letting a nice hardtail ("blue runner") I just caught on a Sabiki rig swim out from the pier on a 20 lb test freeline, tailhooked with a big red Gamakatsu circle hook on a 40 lb test Sevenstrand leader..........and waiting for the "bigger jerk on the other end of the line". That's real fun for me.

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #6 of 11
Flyfishing is the must fun you can have without girls (or headphones)...

I also enjoy making flies, it makes the hole thing even greater, for trout i normally bind a fly like this
http://www.flueaesken.dk/Bindemonstr...les_killer.htm

For those that do not speak danish it is deerhair (the floating kind) some mabrabu feathers and some "discostrings" for the tail..
The fly is pretty heavy and a little bit hard to throw (class 7), but it has a perfect weigth which gives it the same sound as when bigger insects (terrestials) falls in the water and the trout just go for it, great fun because you see the action..
For roaches it is very small dryflies and also class 7..

Flyfishing for mullets and seatrout is also a great passtime, a Mullet on a kilo is like a 1½ kilo trout on crack..

I am dreaming about catching bonefish sometime in the future..

My flygear is sierra.. Sage is really top of the line gear as far as i Know, remember to wear sunglasses (polaroids) when learning to fly..

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 11
fly fishing is a lot of fun - though i grew up doing bait and lure. since i go to college in boston and spend a greater part of my year there, i wanted to be able to get in a couple fishing trips up there. however, i didn't want to lug all my fishing stuff to college (since i already lug all my headphones around
biggrin.gif
) so do you guys know of any small telescoping rods or something that would be good for freshwater fishing?

Aug 29, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 11
I fish for striped bass at Lake Mead here and there. Right now its a really good time to fish with loads of topwater action this lake is famous for. The weather is too hot though and due to the rapid decline of the water level at Lake Mead, it makes what used to be really good spots (from shore) into a 10-15 foot cliff.

I also flyfish around here when the trout season comes around. NDOW dumps thousands of rainbow trout at Sunset Park or Lake Mead where you can use your fly rod to catch them. Its too hot for the trout to survive and they dump catfish right now, (PITA to catch).

So pretty much my fishing is suspended right now until it cools down. Glad to see more Head-Fiers are into this though.

Aug 31, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 11
What kind of trout and what kind of carplike fish are you talking about?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I just wanted to start a thread on fishing, there are so many gadgets in this hobby, that there is bound to be some of the headfier that fish, you can even combine the headfi with this hobby...

Personally I fish for trout and carplike fish and sometimes in the ocean but that is not very often..

Sep 5, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #11 of 11
Life-long angler here. Remember fishing in grandpa's stock pond at 3 - 4 years old. Can still see my 5 year old brother throwing a snelled 4 inch red rubber worm (with front and back spinners) into 8 inches of water and seeing a 4 lb largemouth swirl and gulping it down. We had fried fish that night; I have been hooked ever since.

About three years ago, I took 2 seasons off from the corporate world and ran my own guide service, primarily flyfishing for striped bass and blues on Cape Cod. What and experience, walking saltwater flats and teaching people to flycast and sight cast to migrating or crusing fish. Talk about buck fever. Guiding was a most rewarding experience, which I plan to do again when I am a retired, crotchity old fart (not that damn far off now....)

I feel blessed to live in an area littered with freshwater bass bogs, stocked trout ponds and streams, and amazing spring-to-fall saltwater fishing.

Come fish!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back