Flat sound vs. "fun sound"...so flat isn't fun?
Apr 13, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #31 of 90
To further complicate the question, I frequently see her people calling the exact same headphone neutral and colored. I think even the definition of being flat varies person to person. Sure, your definition may be more correct than his, but who are you to tell him that his taste is wrong for him? This hobby is to be subjective, not objective.

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #32 of 90

Quote:
To further complicate the question, I frequently see her people calling the exact same headphone neutral and colored. I think even the definition of being flat varies person to person. Sure, your definition may be more correct than his, but who are you to tell him that his taste is wrong for him? This hobby is to be subjective, not objective.

And not just the definition, but the actual frequency response at the eardrum, which will differ, sometimes significantly, for different people using the same headphone or earphone. Manufacturers equalize cans for the "average" ear.

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #33 of 90
Flat is the only way i will listen to music. I just want to listen to it the way it is intended by the artist. After all, that is the reason we prefer certain artist, rite?

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #34 of 90
Playback hardware should be as flat as possible so that the recorded music can come across as it was intended to. Then if the music is crap that's what your playback chain provides.

The biggest problem these days is that recordings themselves are flat (loudness wars). That is what is lifeless as boring as hell. And unfortunately it's the only thing in the chain that we can not replace.

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #36 of 90
Problem with recording? I've just downloaded a 24/96 flac, recorded directly from a vinyl by an enthusiast using his home gear- nothing high endish but still an astonishing effect. It's just a different world compared to a normal digitally recorded music, much more music in music however stupid this sounds. Look over Pirate Bay for HMV (Home Made Vinyl) guy.

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #37 of 90
... People can appreciate both "flat sound" and "warm and fun sound" at the same time. These don't really contradict each other. 

As for whether or not "flat" can be "fun", I think by their definitions, implications, and connotations, "flat" cannot be "fun". Sure you can enjoy a "flat sound," and even prefer it over a bassy and warm sound. But "flat" and "fun" describe two different things. It's like asking if sitting around and resting is "fun". You can still have a good time just chilling, but you don't say "man that nap I took was so much fun. " Same with the sound, the flat sound can still be enjoyable, and more preferable to some people, but to strictly answering your question, no.

Do I personally like a more balanced, accurate, and clear sound? Hell yes. I would have my music no other way. But I wouldn't call my CK10s or UE700s "fun" IEMs. 

Quote:

So which is it? I hear people who praise the flat sound say..."those are great...a really warm and fun sound" about something unflat.

Help?

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #38 of 90
I swear, Head-Fi conversations could just as easily be about women as audio devices.

They each fit different partners differently, and often our preferences change with our mood. 

Some guys prefer athletic, some buxom, some tempestuous, some shy.

So you either try to find the one that matches your usual preference most of the time, or you play the field.  Luckily, it is easier to own a lot of audio gear than have multiple spouses.  Also easier to swap.  

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #39 of 90
I swear, Head-Fi conversations could just as easily be about women as audio devices.

They each fit different partners differently, and often our preferences change with our mood. 

Some guys prefer athletic, some buxom, some tempestuous, some shy.

So you either try to find the one that matches your usual preference most of the time, or you play the field.  Luckily, it is easier to own a lot of audio gear than have multiple spouses.  Also easier to swap.  

Less expensive too... :D

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #40 of 90

Quote:

Except women are people and not objects.
angry_face.gif

tongue.gif

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #42 of 90
This may have been said already.  IMO 'fun' is just a nice way to say flawed.  The last earbuds I bought that were described as 'fun' sounding had bloated bass and harsh peaky mids.  Not fun to listen to at all, especially if the vocals hit that peaky area
mad.gif

I think what many people think of when they think of flat is actually mid prominent with rolled off highs and lows.  Many people would be surprised at how much bass and treble is present in a truly 'flat' headphone/speaker.  The best sound I've ever heard came from my speakers.  Their response is basically flat although I haven't eq'ed or measured in the room since it's a temporary setup.  Awesome and definitely fun to listen to.  Flat response allows all the small details to stick out when in a colored response some headphones pick out and distinguish some details and totally miss others.  When the sound is colored you don't get more bass or whatever is prominent, you essentially get less of everything else unless you really crank up the volume and in that case the prominent features become overpowering.

I think what people really mean by fun is more fun in a careless way.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #43 of 90

Quote:
I just don't get this whole headphone review mindset of "these are great b/c of the ultra flat freq response". Flip side...these are fantastic because of the warm "fun" sound they portray...far from a flat response, but very desirable. 

So which is it? I hear people who praise the flat sound say..."those are great...a really warm and fun sound" about something unflat.

So basically what I guess I'm asking...if you get a really flat freq...and that's what you're really wanting...when you listen to them, is it not fun? Critical listening...a term I don't quite get, I suppose. You have to be alert to enjoy these excellent cans. The flip side, these cans have that "fun sound" that you don't have to really be 100% alert and can just sit back and "chill" to.

Help?

It's like this in non audiophile speak: 

You have your women built with curves, and you have your slender gals. Both can be fun, some guys prefer women built like 13 year old boys. But, the the girls with curves are the ones considered "fun" by most. Blame it on our DNA.

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #44 of 90
But...is the experience of listening to headphones ever really even close to "being there"? Personally, putting on headphones is stepping into an altered reality. Even my "flattest" headphones, my ety's, don't really sound like being there. To me, by definition, ALL headphones are" fun".

Some are just more fun than others!

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #45 of 90
You're right, LeonardS. Headphones and speakers are a different experience than the live event. It's not necessarily a bad thing, and I enjoy both experiences.

Speakers can get very close, though. I've been able to coax wonderful things out of ribbon, electrostatic, and AMT speakers. When you can keep the music within the range of where those excel (e.g. female vocals, no backing instruments) and have them set up so the dipolar dispersion is right, they're scary close to the real thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back