flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 19, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #16,966 of 39,419
My Campfire Solaris arrived today, man are they incredibly “tip” sensitive (I was almost afraid to post this after the last several entries on the Thread:astonished:). The Final Type E was a fail, the large foamies were too big, I had a pair of Symbios that had a foamectomy which sound quite good. Letting them burn in a bit before I write anything definitive.
When I was auditioning the Solaris I liked them most with the Symbio W Peel (I suppose standard Symbio + foamectomy should be quite close, if not the same).. but I had to go one size down to achieve a proper fit and therefore sound.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Solaris, I liked them a lot, just couldn't get a hold of the size/shape.
They are just not in sync with the shape of my ears, it's a pity as they are really something special.. I liked a lot the tuning + I'm a big fan of CA price/performance ratio.

Jun 20, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #16,967 of 39,419
When I was auditioning the Solaris I liked them most with the Symbio W Peel (I suppose standard Symbio + foamectomy should be quite close, if not the same).. but I had to go one size down to achieve a proper fit and therefore sound.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Solaris, I liked them a lot, just couldn't get a hold of the size/shape.
They are just not in sync with the shape of my ears, it's a pity as they are really something special.. I liked a lot the tuning + I'm a big fan of CA price/performance ratio.

The good thing about recovering from back surgery, I’ve had plenty of time to play with tips. After all the experimenting I’ve gone back to the small Symbios. I’m not believing the immense soundstage, layering, and imaging! The other thing is the Solaris to recreate the “blatt” of a closely miked Sax, it’s uncanny!

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #16,968 of 39,419
And since we are trying to elevate the level of the thread today (read: I am bored and need distraction), here a deeply audiophileosophical question:
Imps.jpg
(Many thanks to the ever classy Gisele of Aid2Hearing for sharing such gems on her Facebook.)

Jun 20, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #16,969 of 39,419
And since we are trying to elevate the level of the thread today (read: I am bored and need distraction), here a deeply audiophileosophical question:

(Many thanks to the ever classy Gisele of Aid2Hearing for sharing such gems on her Facebook.)

It's called... a Heard!

tenor (74).gif

Jun 20, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #16,971 of 39,419
^ so stupid...and so good.

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #16,975 of 39,419
Just browsing around a little and these FiR uni's are looking pretty good. Was wondering how they would end up looking.

Indeed! Very much looking forward to their Asia launch, whenever that’ll happen.

They look beautiful. I’m auditioning their M2, M3 and M4 models right now. They deserve more attention here on head-fi, as these sound amazing and for the price, these scream bang for your buck.

Where/How are you auditioning them?

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #16,976 of 39,419
I received my 2-pin Hulk cable today and I am impressed. It has the quickest removal and best connectors IMO from all the 4-in-1 plug cables including the Oslo cable I have. The wires are thick (22AWG) which might turn people away.
4uhQS5B.jpg

LKcoBLY.jpg

Jun 21, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #16,977 of 39,419
So, I have my earphones plugged into my laptop at the moment, and my laptop is a gaming laptop that has sound profiles tuned so that the soundstage is really expanded. It does work with my earphones, but I was wondering what exactly it is that creates this effect.

certain frequency regions are crossfed to the opposite ear at varying delay times (aka spectral delay modeling). I've been using Canopener studio by goodhertz in my home chain for quite a while, without losing any sonic quality to the source, everything is just pushed out a tad further.

Jun 21, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #16,978 of 39,419
Indeed! Very much looking forward to their Asia launch, whenever that’ll happen.

Where/How are you auditioning them?
I’ve requested a demo set minus the M5 to audition before I purchase them. Your preliminary impressions from CanJam really got me interested in them, and I’m glad I decided to check them out.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #16,980 of 39,419
I’ve requested a demo set minus the M5 to audition before I purchase them. Your preliminary impressions from CanJam really got me interested in them, and I’m glad I decided to check them out.

Can't speak for other models since I haven't tried it, but the final M5 tuning will be updated, to the point where I most likely will have to re-write my M5 review (that was originally based on pre-CanJam tuning) :D I believe, Music Sanctuary has the final tuned metal shell M5 model now for demo.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back