flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 25, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #17,297 of 39,414
funds :thinking:

i would probably also try to bribe piotr to try wiring it with thick gauge wire that i supply myself. I think my cavernous ears can provide the extra space
Oh, you even want to go experimental as well?

As for the funds. I would say it is time to make a withdrawal...
2shQFKJ

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #17,299 of 39,414
i also quite like the new wave of estat highs, their sparkle is something else... but then again, I feel like it’s not something that’s completely impossible to achieve with a regular BA composition (Andromeda comes to mind which hands down beats most estats I’ve listened to)
I can't agree with that on my side. Had Andromeda S and Trinity SS at the same time, and we have a huge gap in the way highs are managed.
It does sound so natural and liquid with Trinity, there is no turning back possible for me.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #17,300 of 39,414
For a seriously robust CIEM build (and pretty technically capable too, although not quite the right tuning for what you are looking for), check out the below vid from Stealth Sonics drop testing their TOTL flagship.

I have the C9 myself and it's very light, but feels pretty bulletproof for daily use. Does show it's possible to make a durable acrylic monitor (think they use a special lacquer for hardness):

Guess there is also the issue of balanced armature durability to consider. Given that most TOTL models are at least partially BA based these days, the inherent fragility of the armatures inside mean that while the shell can be bulletproof, unless the components inside are pretty well protected from damage as well, you could end up with an immaculate shell but some non working drivers in the event of a serious fall.
You kind of answered your own post. I bet good money that the internals are far from "working perfectly" as the guy in the video said. Chances of BAs surviving such drop are low tbh.
I was told that BA drivers are very durable and could take a beating. Not sure how true that is though. Durability of the soldier points would depend on the quality of the soldering work and the solder itself.
Unfortunately they are not, some drivers are more prone to drop-damage than others due to their design or size. The most fragile are big woofers especially of older design.
those shells and the design is gorgeous!
Thank you!
Tried Fibae 7 today. It's upper mid and treble forward for me, great for Jazz but not as exciting for rock and pop in my opinion. It does sound quite detailed and very spacious. I quite enjoy it and would consider getting a pair.
Great to hear that! They definitely do have forward mids and highs, but the bass also is there, especially when the music calls for. They are definitely not "bass first" IEM though.
i would probably also try to bribe piotr to try wiring it with thick gauge wire that i supply myself. I think my cavernous ears can provide the extra space
Surely we could arrange that, but don't forget to send in the small rainbow thingies to glue on the faceplate :laughing:

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #17,302 of 39,414
You kind of answered your own post. I bet good money that the internals are far from "working perfectly" as the guy in the video said. Chances of BAs surviving such drop are low tbh.
Unfortunately they are not, some drivers are more prone to drop-damage than others due to their design or size. The most fragile are big woofers especially of older design.

@twister6 and @piotrus-g , thanks for sharing these info.

Piotr, would you say the silicone filled BA IEMs are the least prone to damage from drops, as the soft silicone would absorb the shocks.

Thanks for the response, Piotr. Take your point on the internals - the video was more meant to illustrate that there do seem to be potential options for reducing the fragility of acrylic shells, but I guess if the internals are turned to shrapnel in the process, there's not much point. :wink:

Also interested to know if you think silicone internals help with durability, or if it is the actual moving parts inside the BA (the tiny vibrating metal rods) that are the point of failure?

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #17,303 of 39,414
@twister6 and @piotrus-g , thanks for sharing these info.

Piotr, would you say the silicone filled BA IEMs are the least prone to damage from drops, as the soft silicone would absorb the shocks.
Yes! Silicone IEMs are almost completely shock absorbent - I remember throwing one of my IEMs hard against a wall like a bouncy ball it survived without a problem. Silicone filled acrylics are more durable too, but since in such case the drivers are partially glued to the acrylic shell the drop damage is still possible. Though I think that acrylic would break before the drivers.
Also interested to know if you think silicone internals help with durability, or if it is the actual moving parts inside the BA (the tiny vibrating metal rods) that are the point of failure?
Again it really depends on the drivers used. There are drivers which are designed to withstand higher g's. A smaller driver due to lower mass of diaphragm and shorter rod (such as tweeters) will be less prone to drop damage.

Jul 25, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #17,307 of 39,414
@majo123 is that you and the chi getting some funds for CanJam this weekend? Hope all is well.
I wish lol... I won't be going.
My knee has improved this week but I had to have quite a bit of unpaid time of work because of so funds are not great, but hey health comes first and also it's still not right. Im having more tests in a couple of weeks so I'm trying not to push it too much and end up in agony again, its still very swollen though which is why I'm having more tests.
Also to be honest I'm not really wanting anything which I suppose is a result in the circumstances. I'm very happy with my gear.. R6pro, zishan dsd pro, Hiby R3 and er4xr, tin P1, tin T3.
Further update on the zinash dsd pro... This is without a doubt the buy of the last few years for me, after a few days use I honestly can say I like it as much as the R6pro, the R6pro has a hairs edge in some areas, thicker notes, a bit more smooth but some times I prefer the more raw edge of the zinash and at times depending that rawness can actually sound more life like.. I can't choose.
Now for me what's astounding is I'm talking about a player that cost me £80, this is the one piece of gear I will be reccing to anyone and everyone! Just want awesome sound at rediculously low cost then but the zinash dsd pro.

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #17,308 of 39,414
@piotrus-g is there an easy way to know when BAs are damaged from a drop or impact? Is it a very obvious change/degradation in sound or is it a more subtle change. I treat all my iems with care, but they have banged together before and I’ve wondered how obvious it would be if BAs were damaged. I’ve never noticed a significant/sudden change in any of my iems after an impact, but have been curious.

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #17,309 of 39,414
I wish lol... I won't be going.
My knee has improved this week but I had to have quite a bit of unpaid time of work because of so funds are not great, but hey health comes first and also it's still not right. Im having more tests in a couple of weeks so I'm trying not to push it too much and end up in agony again, its still very swollen though which is why I'm having more tests.
Also to be honest I'm not really wanting anything which I suppose is a result in the circumstances. I'm very happy with my gear.. R6pro, zishan dsd pro, Hiby R3 and er4xr, tin P1, tin T3.
Further update on the zinash dsd pro... This is without a doubt the buy of the last few years for me, after a few days use I honestly can say I like it as much as the R6pro, the R6pro has a hairs edge in some areas, thicker notes, a bit more smooth but some times I prefer the more raw edge of the zinash and at times depending that rawness can actually sound more life like.. I can't choose.
Now for me what's astounding is I'm talking about a player that cost me £80, this is the one piece of gear I will be reccing to anyone and everyone! Just want awesome sound at rediculously low cost then but the zinash dsd pro.
Sorry to hear your knee is still giving you trouble. You take care you yourself, health must come first, and the head-fi itch will come back quite naturally... Probably once people start sharing impression from Saturday and Sunday. :D

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #17,310 of 39,414
Sorry to hear your knee is still giving you trouble. You take care you yourself, health must come first, and the head-fi itch will come back quite naturally... Probably once people start sharing impression from Saturday and Sunday. :D
thanks my friend... I take it your going so have a great time and looking forward to yours and everyones opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back