flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 18, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #17,656 of 39,414
Astell & Kern also offer streaming services without switching to Android (unless I have missed something). Even Shanling has been running their own OS while working to offer streaming services like Tidal. With a company as big as Sony I do not see many hurdles for them to go in a similar direction.
You are correct. I returned to Astell & Kern. I have always loved their UI, it was the standard in my mind. I remember when I had the 100 II &120 II and I tried other DAPs the UI of the others, Fiio comes to mind, was just not user friendly and buggy. I loved those two DAPs for their AK house sound and smooth, gentle warmth. Then I tried the Kann and I did not care for the SQ at all and had thought I was finished with AK. Enter the Kann Cube, a wonderful sounding DAP. I was on a "featureless" DAP run for a while. DAPs placing SQ first as opposed to the kitchen sink approach to adding features, examples would be DX120, QA361 and QP2R. The Cube's housing is big, it is almost desktop size and would really need a fanny pack or something to make it comfortably transportable. The SQ is back to AK form and has Bluetooth and WIFI. You can sideload apk's as I have done with Qobuz. I am posting a couple of photos with the QA361 for comparison. By the way the QA361, is a pocket carry and has incredible power, close to Cube power. Both are able to drive everything I have. SQ wise, the QA361 may be the finest sounding DAP, certainly reference, but without hesitation I will say the SQ honors go to both Cube and QA361 and the QP2R is certainly no slouch, at least in my collection. QA361 is "featureless" and has a UI reminiscent of the Clip Zip, no art etc.

20190715_175435.jpg20190715_181409.jpg 20190818_074251.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #17,657 of 39,414
Aug 18, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #17,658 of 39,414
Aug 18, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #17,659 of 39,414
What's better on Solaris?

I just spent two weeks with the Z1R and I too preferred the Solaris overall. I posted my thoughts elsewhere but will repost them here:

Upon receiving the Z1R I was deeply impressed with its bass and treble extension and overall sexiness-- to the point that I was prepared to make it my main IEM. Fortunately I didn't rush into anything and I kept my Solaris on hand.

Long story shortened-- after two weeks of listening exclusively to the Z1R I switched back over to the Solaris and I was struck by how much I'd missed its beautiful balanced sound, more robust midrange, detail retrieval, superior layering, imaging and last but not least that holographic soundstage. Another thing that jumped out at me after many days of not hearing the Solaris was how coherent, "whole" and balanced its presentation of sound is. The Z1R is a great sounding IEM, but after switching back to Solaris I found myself really noticing its recessed midrange and comparatively confined soundstage. In addition to that I remembered how well Solaris fit me-- I can wear them for hours comfortably whether on the couch or out and about. They are substantially lighter than the Z1R and I can easily forget they're there....

Ultimately they both have their strengths-- for me it's treble/bass extension and definition on the Z1R vs. balance, a more robust midrange, resolution and an airy and holographic soundstage on the Solaris-- however lately, as I indicated in my initial review, my preferences tend more towards the balanced presentation of the Solaris to the mild V of the Z1R. Factoring in the fit issues, and what are imho certain superior technicalities, and the balance has tilted decisively in favor of the Solaris for me.

Also, though I know people cite fit issues frequently with both IEMs imho the Solaris are much more well thought out ergonomically than the Z1R.

Edit: I've been thinking a lot about this recently. The Solaris' greatest strength imho is that it is good at everything...but a consequent of this is that it's the best at nothing. You can find other flagships that have better bass (Z1R), better soundstage (Anole VX), better imaging and detail retrieval (U18t), and so on...but I don't think you'll find any that do it all as well as the Solaris does. As @Deezel177 once noted it truly is a wonderful all-arounder. What does this mean for a potential purchaser? If you're someone who has a collection of IEMs, each of which excels in a particular domain, you might not be as interested in the Solaris. On the other hand if you're not a collector and are looking for a single IEM that is a fantastic balanced all-arounder with delicious DD bass then the Solaris is a serious contender for the best thing going right now.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #17,660 of 39,414
You are correct. I returned to Astell & Kern. I have always loved their UI, it was the standard in my mind. I remember when I had the 100 II &120 II and I tried other DAPs the UI of the others, Fiio comes to mind, was just not user friendly and buggy. I loved those two DAPs for their AK house sound and smooth, gentle warmth. Then I tried the Kann and I did not care for the SQ at all and had thought I was finished with AK. Enter the Kann Cube, a wonderful sounding DAP. I was on a "featureless" DAP run for a while. DAPs placing SQ first as opposed to the kitchen sink approach to adding features, examples would be DX120, QA361 and QP2R. The Cube's housing is big, it is almost desktop size and would really need a fanny pack or something to make it comfortably transportable. The SQ is back to AK form and has Bluetooth and WIFI. You can sideload apk's as I have done with Qobuz. I am posting a couple of photos with the QA361 for comparison. By the way the QA361, is a pocket carry and has incredible power, close to Cube power. Both are able to drive everything I have. SQ wise, the QA361 may be the finest sounding DAP, certainly reference, but without hesitation I will say the SQ honors go to both Cube and QA361 and the QP2R is certainly no slouch, at least in my collection. QA361 is "featureless" and has a UI reminiscent of the Clip Zip, no art etc.

Holy balls the Cube is huge! When I owned the QP2R I remember thinking it was a brick and barely portable but next to the Cube it almost looks dainty.

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #17,662 of 39,414
E5000 - Darker than the Dark Knight

For a while now, I had been after an IEM with elevated bass, warm tone, non-recessed mids, forgiving treble and large soundstage to listen to pop music. After almost a year of contemplation, I finally pulled the trigger on the E5000. Now the E5000 does match my description. Just that it takes things a bit too far. Meaning, the bass is way too elevated, which smoothens the already smooth treble and results in a very warm and dark signature. Fortunately, because of a decent upper mids bump, the mid range isn’t completely lost. But it’s definitely veiled with a blanket of warmth.

E5K’s signature is a definite L shaped signature with a downward slope from bass to treble. It’s tone is warm and dark. For reference, Legend X is also L shaped, but it also has a hint of U shaped signature, with respect to its treble emphasis. But to me, E5K has a much more coherent signature although it’s overall more bloated than the Legend X. The bass on the E5K has plenty of power, punch, slam, rumble, extension, you name it and it’s got it, sometimes gobs of it. But as the bass is considerably enhanced over the rest of the spectrum, it comes across as slow and the attack’s are bit on the blunt side. Slowness or bluntness actually doesn’t bother me much, because HD650 also displays such characteristics and I love the 650. It’s just that E5K’s bass is a bit too enhanced for my tolerance than my preference, because it starts giving me a head ache on bass heavy tracks. I bought this IEM for pop music and a lot of pop tracks do come with a lot of bass. Talk about irony.

The mids are on the thick side despite having a decent amount of upper-mids to balance things out. But the good thing is, it’s also full bodied. For example, IE80 also has very thick mids, but it actually sounds delicate, because it lacks body. Regardless, E5K’s mids are tilted towards the lower mids (male vocals and lower mid instruments and notes), over upper mids. The treble is actually linear with a gradual slope into the upper treble and actually is quite nice. But to enjoy this treble, the bass should have been tuned more neutrally or just slightly enhanced. But E5K’s bass shadows it to a point where it comes across as way too smooth and lacking sufficient presence.

As for the soundstage, E5K does have a large one, almost in the same ball park as IE80. Despite having thick and full bodied notes, the stage as such doesn’t have congestion issues. But what the IEM suffers from, is in the instrument separation aspect, as things get smeared on the lateral plane. Imaging is very good for a $300 IEM. Also the sound as a whole sounds very refined. It’s just that the bass is way too enhanced. I wish it had a little less bass and a touch more treble. Fortunately, it’s younger brother E4000 is just that. It may not have the refinement and soundstage on the same level as the E5000, but it’s signature is a bit more balanced than the E5000, which makes me pick the E4000 over the E5000 every time. E4000 is my cousin’s and he had loaned it to me for a couple of weeks. E4000 also has a bass bump, but not as much as the E5000. It also has a bit more treble presence. So overall, it sounds more transparent and clear.

I can see E5000 have it’s allure if you are an ardent bass lover. But given that E4000 can be had be for a much lesser price, I’d recommend the E4000 over the E5000 if you are after a warm and smooth sounding IEM.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #17,663 of 39,414
E5000 - Darker than the Dark Knight

For a while now, I had been after an IEM with elevated bass, warm tone, non-recessed mids, forgiving treble and large soundstage to listen to pop music. After almost a year of contemplation, I finally pulled the trigger on the E5000. Now the E5000 does match my description. Just that it takes things a bit too far. Meaning, the bass is way too elevated, which smoothens the already smooth treble and results in a very warm and dark signature. Fortunately, because of a decent upper mids bump, the mid range isn’t completely lost. But it’s definitely veiled with a blanket of warmth.

E5K’s signature is a definite L shaped signature with a downward slope from bass to treble. It’s tone is warm and dark. For reference, Legend X is also L shaped, but it also has a hint of U shaped signature, with respect to its treble emphasis. But to me, E5K has a much more coherent signature although it’s overall more bloated than the Legend X. The bass on the E5K has plenty of power, punch, slam, rumble, extension, you name it and it’s got it, sometimes gobs of it. But as the bass is considerably enhanced over the rest of the spectrum, it comes across as slow and the attack’s are bit on the blunt side. Slowness or bluntness actually doesn’t bother me much, because HD650 also displays such characteristics and I love the 650. It’s just that E5K’s bass is a bit too enhanced for my tolerance than my preference, because it starts giving me a head ache on bass heavy tracks. I bought this IEM for pop music and a lot of pop tracks do come with a lot of bass. Talk about irony.

The mids are on the thick side despite having a decent amount of upper-mids to balance things out. But the good thing is, it’s also full bodied. For example, IE80 also has very thick mids, but it actually sounds delicate, because it lacks body. Regardless, E5K’s mids are tilted towards the lower mids (male vocals and lower mid instruments and notes), over upper mids. The treble is actually linear with a gradual slope into the upper treble and actually is quite nice. But to enjoy this treble, the bass should have been tuned more neutrally or just slightly enhanced. But E5K’s bass shadows it to a point where it comes across as way too smooth and lacking sufficient presence.

As for the soundstage, E5K does have a large one, almost in the same ball park as IE80. Despite having thick and full bodied notes, the stage as such doesn’t have congestion issues. But what the IEM suffers from, is in the instrument separation aspect, as things get smeared on the lateral plane. Imaging is very good for a $300 IEM. Also the sound as a whole sounds very refined. It’s just that the bass is way too enhanced. I wish it had a little less bass and a touch more treble. Fortunately, it’s younger brother E4000 is just that. It may not have the refinement and soundstage on the same level as the E5000, but it’s signature is a bit more balanced than the E5000, which makes me pick the E4000 over the E5000 every time. E4000 is my cousin’s and he had loaned it to me for a couple of weeks. E4000 also has a bass bump, but not as much as the E5000. It also has a bit more treble presence. So overall, it sounds more transparent and clear.

I can see E5000 have it’s allure if you are an ardent bass lover. But given that E4000 can be had be for a much lesser price, I’d recommend the E4000 over the E5000 if you are after a warm and smooth sounding IEM.

the massdrop x jvc might be for you

Aug 19, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #17,664 of 39,414
I just spent two weeks with the Z1R and I too preferred the Solaris overall. I posted my thoughts elsewhere but will repost them here:

Upon receiving the Z1R I was deeply impressed with its bass and treble extension and overall sexiness-- to the point that I was prepared to make it my main IEM. Fortunately I didn't rush into anything and I kept my Solaris on hand.

Long story shortened-- after two weeks of listening exclusively to the Z1R I switched back over to the Solaris and I was struck by how much I'd missed its beautiful balanced sound, more robust midrange, detail retrieval, superior layering, imaging and last but not least that holographic soundstage. Another thing that jumped out at me after many days of not hearing the Solaris was how coherent, "whole" and balanced its presentation of sound is. The Z1R is a great sounding IEM, but after switching back to Solaris I found myself really noticing its recessed midrange and comparatively confined soundstage. In addition to that I remembered how well Solaris fit me-- I can wear them for hours comfortably whether on the couch or out and about. They are substantially lighter than the Z1R and I can easily forget they're there....

Ultimately they both have their strengths-- for me it's treble/bass extension and definition on the Z1R vs. balance, a more robust midrange, resolution and an airy and holographic soundstage on the Solaris-- however lately, as I indicated in my initial review, my preferences tend more towards the balanced presentation of the Solaris to the mild V of the Z1R. Factoring in the fit issues, and what are imho certain superior technicalities, and the balance has tilted decisively in favor of the Solaris for me.

Also, though I know people cite fit issues frequently with both IEMs imho the Solaris are much more well thought out ergonomically than the Z1R.

Edit: I've been thinking a lot about this recently. The Solaris' greatest strength imho is that it is good at everything...but a consequent of this is that it's the best at nothing. You can find other flagships that have better bass (Z1R), better soundstage (Anole VX), better imaging and detail retrieval (U18t), and so on...but I don't think you'll find any that do it all as well as the Solaris does. As @Deezel177 once noted it truly is a wonderful all-arounder. What does this mean for a potential purchaser? If you're someone who has a collection of IEMs, each of which excels in a particular domain, you might not be as interested in the Solaris. On the other hand if you're not a collector and are looking for a single IEM that is a fantastic balanced all-arounder with delicious DD bass then the Solaris is a serious contender for the best thing going right now.

Wow it makes me curious on how Solaris sounds. To my ears, Z1R’s soundstage rivals my i4, especially listening through 1Z. Huge & holographic. Now to find if there’s a demo version available :)

Aug 19, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #17,665 of 39,414
Wow it makes me curious on how Solaris sounds. To my ears, Z1R’s soundstage rivals my i4, especially listening through 1Z. Huge & holographic. Now to find if there’s a demo version available :)
Certainly TOTL signature with wonderful stage. Bass is snappy and detailed, a bit of quantity and a lot of quality. The mids have detail and yet are not super full, but enough to create balance. The treble extends wide and assists in creating the holographic stage.

Aug 19, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #17,666 of 39,414
Just wanted to chime in real quick without derailing to the convo too much. Always glad to see some love for UM around here! Apologies that there hasn't been too much more info about our newer units. They got caught up a bit with some of the people trying them out so it was just delay after delay... ... I am looking to get more units out and about though!

For now, the most comprehensive impressions of them probably come from Project86 (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...ZbSFo-7cL6Xk7vTUuX2onQFJfhjQEq1Nb2NbUwJOgyIXI)

Anyways, feel free to PM me at any time! I don't post around as much as I used to, but I'm around HF just as much as I used to be =)

No need to apologize my friend. I took your suggestion from PM, emailed support from UM and within two hours the issue was resolved. You guys are amazing. Can't wait to see the new stuff.

-Collin-

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #17,667 of 39,414
And... I received the Dunu Hulk and it delivers...
Thanks again to @lafeuill for pointing this cable out and have me audition it last week :pray:

I have tested it with all my IEMs : Hulk baseline is body and weight (with that name, how could it not?), with a nice sub bass boost, clean and well defined mid bass with very good texture. Mids are full and sweet but with clean lower section, subtly forward vocals and overall you don’t loose articulation although upper mids are on the safer side of the force. Treble interestingly, have good energy in the lower section and good extension in the upper register although the cable is overall slightly dark it’s very elegantly done. Soundstage depth is improved quite a bit especially on the VE8. Resolution is very good. Hulk is great value for money for sure, especially if you factor the flexibility of the plug system... can’t wait for future Dunu cables :)

4237B1B1-B566-408D-9DB8-1539ABA24CFC.jpeg

All impressions are with DX220/AMP9 I still have to roll with other AMPs. I am not sure if the 22 AWG comes into play here, but I hear very low hiss and also I need to push volume quite significantly more to achieve the same volume compared to PW 1960 4w. I never run the Phantom on medium gain but with Hulk I do...

So despite the baseline, it does interestingly bring different things to my CIEMs :
  • VE8 at last have the sub and slam I wished they had, mids are still as articulate but with a touch of warmth and more body with a tad more forward vocal placement, treble have just that little added lower energy... upper treble are a bit less present than with say the PW 1960 4w but I like it more that way which I find more balanced.
  • EM64 have more body, which is an alternate take I like a lot - yes you loose some separation but there is plenty anyway to begin with, the mids are more euphonic and thicker while not loosing their technical proficiency (upper mids sensitive will like the overall balance with Hulk) and treble will not loose energy while gaining weight and a slightly warmer tone. Nice...
  • Phantom... now this is the one I expected to be a bad match given the general profile of the Hulk I pictured... I figured it would be too much bass, mids too thick and lower treble too energetic. Well, not at all so the baseline characteristics do no factor in synergy. I do hear great bass control and the sub bass benefit that is so spectacular with the VE8 is less emphasized there and more marginal. Mid bass control is improved over other cable I own. Mids don’t get overly thick as I expected nor does it get warmer on the contrary I lower mids are a tad less than with other cables but upper mids are tamed a bit (some might not like it although I find the Phantom remain highly articulate). Nothing of the lower treble energy is lost compared to other cables I own, but upper register suffers a bit for those who already find the Phantom lacking there might not be ideal but I don’t mind it.
  • FIBAE4 : again, did not expect the best pairing but was surprised, again mid bass control is very good making the F4 a bit more balanced than other cables I tried (Ares II, LionHeart, PW 1960, Plussound X series...). Mids are fuller and vocals are a treat on the F4. I like the extra lower treble energy as well and upper register seem more natural than with the 1960 4w. Depth is taken to even further heigths and I love the F4 with the Hulk so much so it has me second guessing selling them to fund the F7...

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #17,668 of 39,414
And... I received the Dunu Hulk and it delivers...
Thanks again to @lafeuill for pointing this cable out and have me audition it last week :pray:

I have tested it with all my IEMs : Hulk baseline is body and weight (with that name, how could it not?), with a nice sub bass boost, clean and well defined mid bass with very good texture. Mids are full and sweet but with clean lower section, subtly forward vocals and overall you don’t loose articulation although upper mids are on the safer side of the force. Treble interestingly, have good energy in the lower section and good extension in the upper register although the cable is overall slightly dark it’s very elegantly done. Soundstage depth is improved quite a bit especially on the VE8. Resolution is very good. Hulk is great value for money for sure, especially if you factor the flexibility of the plug system... can’t wait for future Dunu cables :)

All impressions are with DX220/AMP9 I still have to roll with other AMPs. I am not sure if the 22 AWG comes into play here, but I hear very low hiss and also I need to push volume quite significantly more to achieve the same volume compared to PW 1960 4w. I never run the Phantom on medium gain but with Hulk I do...

So despite the baseline, it does interestingly bring different things to my CIEMs :
  • VE8 at last have the sub and slam I wished they had, mids are still as articulate but with a touch of warmth and more body with a tad more forward vocal placement, treble have just that little added lower energy... upper treble are a bit less present than with say the PW 1960 4w but I like it more that way which I find more balanced.
  • EM64 have more body, which is an alternate take I like a lot - yes you loose some separation but there is plenty anyway to begin with, the mids are more euphonic and thicker while not loosing their technical proficiency (upper mids sensitive will like the overall balance with Hulk) and treble will not loose energy while gaining weight and a slightly warmer tone. Nice...
  • Phantom... now this is the one I expected to be a bad match given the general profile of the Hulk I pictured... I figured it would be too much bass, mids too thick and lower treble too energetic. Well, not at all so the baseline characteristics do no factor in synergy. I do hear great bass control and the sub bass benefit that is so spectacular with the VE8 is less emphasized there and more marginal. Mid bass control is improved over other cable I own. Mids don’t get overly thick as I expected nor does it get warmer on the contrary I lower mids are a tad less than with other cables but upper mids are tamed a bit (some might not like it although I find the Phantom remain highly articulate). Nothing of the lower treble energy is lost compared to other cables I own, but upper register suffers a bit for those who already find the Phantom lacking there might not be ideal but I don’t mind it.
  • FIBAE4 : again, did not expect the best pairing but was surprised, again mid bass control is very good making the F4 a bit more balanced than other cables I tried (Ares II, LionHeart, PW 1960, Plussound X series...). Mids are fuller and vocals are a treat on the F4. I like the extra lower treble energy as well and upper register seem more natural than with the 1960 4w. Depth is taken to even further heigths and I love the F4 with the Hulk so much so it has me second guessing selling them to fund the F7...

Nice impressions David (as always). I got the Hulk last week as well - work trip stopped me playing with it, but have had a chance to test it out with the Stealth Sonics C9 properly now and it's a great cable for the price.

Wasn't originally convinced by the length of the cable connector on the DK-4001, but in use it didn't actually cause me any issues, and the flexibility is just awesome. It adds a little extra richness to the sound from the C9, without dampening the amazing treble - I was intending to park it on my Zeus-XR, but suspect I may have to get hold of another one now! :wink:

Aug 19, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #17,670 of 39,414
A little off topic, but I am going to be in Singapore next week for business and am hoping to take advantage of being in a land of excellent audio stores by visiting one or two and hopefully demoing a bunch of stuff since I don’t get too many opportunities to do so where I am in the US. Any recommendations on which shops are my best bets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back