flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 27, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #5,626 of 39,417
Galaxy v1 lacks air and presents a flat wide stage.

V3 is a giant leap forward comparing to the v1, althought my distant memory could be wrong. The mid is still less full-bodied (or colored) than a mid-centric counterpart, say Fidus A91; but it has improved in other fields considerably. It is one of the few that I feel constantly the need to turn up volume in order to hear more details. And... the build quality is still a bit "sketchy-looking" (actually well-made but not polished or refined) compared to others.

Oct 27, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #5,627 of 39,417
Seen a little on the qdc 8, ciem? Bought new from a Chinese site?

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #5,629 of 39,417
Pulled trigger on a qdc 8...didn't buy the Gemini as I don't like the plastic switch per se. Will write some reviews afterwards. Guess gonna go to my local brewery and celebrate my first entry to Chi-fi. (Actually proud!)

I don't think QDC even qualifies as Chi-Fi anymore; the quality they produce is on par with - if not surpasses - that of their Western competitors, easily. Music Sanctuary is also a fantastic place to shop from. I know the guys over there personally and you're in very safe hands.

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #5,630 of 39,417
Almost (sadly) feels like blasphemy to ask this, but any recommendations that might be comparable in SQ to some of these flagships around the $500 mark? Looking for a bass- and mid-centric, warm tuning.

And an entirely different question, anywhere to reshell an A12 other than 64 Audio? Their service is about $400 which is quite steep.

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #5,633 of 39,417
Almost (sadly) feels like blasphemy to ask this, but any recommendations that might be comparable in SQ to some of these flagships around the $500 mark? Looking for a bass- and mid-centric, warm tuning.

And an entirely different question, anywhere to reshell an A12 other than 64 Audio? Their service is about $400 which is quite steep.

The T8iE recommendation is a great shout. The Custom Art FIBAE 2 is also a fantastic IEM that mostly fits your needs. Unfortunately, I don't think the typical reshell companies (i.e. InEarz, AAW, etc.) work with ADEL/APEX-equipped IEMs, so 64Audio is pretty much your only option.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #5,634 of 39,417
Thanks to both! Been eyeballing the Massdrop one as well but the ship date of Feb 21 seems pretttty far away for one as impatient as myself lol

Oct 28, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #5,636 of 39,417

Try to find a used EE Spartan, or Cerberus. They've one of the best SQ/value in their price-range. The Spartan for me is my favourite all-rounder IEM. Plays any tracks well.

Pulled trigger on a qdc 8...didn't buy the Gemini as I don't like the plastic switch per se. Will write some reviews afterwards. Guess gonna go to my local brewery and celebrate my first entry to Chi-fi. (Actually proud!)
Nice! Let us know when you've received it. And please do share some impression. :)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #5,637 of 39,417
Like @Deezel177 said, the FIBAE-2 are a great option for that. I demoed them briefly at the Indulgence show and was really impressed by their sound compared to my Ei.3. A little higher in price are the Noble Dulce Bass, but that is then only the universal option.

On a different note... Thursday will be Vision Ears day! :D Well, not the whole day, but I'll try to demo them as long as I can. :ksc75smile:

Oct 28, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #5,638 of 39,417

I'd suggest the Lyra II from CA, but I can see you've already got the Vega, so wouldn't be that much of a departure signature wise. If you can find them on the FS boards, the old school Aurisonics ASG range (2 or 2.5 models, and the 1Plus) have a bass and mid range slant and some seriously good vocals if you aren't looking for "new".

Oct 28, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #5,639 of 39,417
Like @Deezel177 said, the FIBAE-2 are a great option for that. I demoed them briefly at the Indulgence show and was really impressed by their sound compared to my Ei.3. A little higher in price are the Noble Dulce Bass, but that is then only the universal option.

On a different note... Thursday will be Vision Ears day! :D Well, not the whole day, but I'll try to demo them as long as I can. :ksc75smile:

Nice! For your tastes I'd fully recommend the VE5 and VE8, but the other models deserve attention too, of course. :wink: Personally, if you're short on time, maybe don't spend too much on the VE6. It's a fantastic IEM, but knowing your affinity for smooth treble responses, the VE6 may not be for you. But, if you can, give it a shot and see if you can test your limits a bit. :p

Oct 28, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #5,640 of 39,417
Nice! For your tastes I'd fully recommend the VE5 and VE8, but the other models deserve attention too, of course. :wink: Personally, if you're short on time, maybe don't spend too much on the VE6. It's a fantastic IEM, but knowing your affinity for smooth treble responses, the VE6 may not be for you. But, if you can, give it a shot and see if you can test your limits a bit. :p
Yes, the VE5 absolutely top my list, as I really want to hear IEMs that excel at vocals. I am very curious about the VE6 and VE8 too, of course, and, if I have the time, I will have a listen to the other models as well. Really looking forward to it and again my compliments to Vision Ears for arranging this, outstanding service!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back