flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Oct 30, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #5,673 of 39,416
The irony is that if we do that I will probably be creating more confusion for myself. A few weeks ago I re-read Nic's review of the Flamenco and started browsing around when I came across their delicious carbon fibre universals. So pretty... :D

Its inevitable bud.. We make out wallet cry one way or the other.. Its so much fun to make our friends wallets cry with our's..

Btw, I have been looking into VE's design options.. Looks sophisticated.. :wink:

Oct 30, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #5,675 of 39,416
good, good. Qdc finally getting some traction now

Oct 30, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #5,676 of 39,416
Here is an excellent case that cost me nothing. When I close it and shake it, nothing rattles and everything is held in place. It's a glock 19 gun case.

20171030_204717.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #5,677 of 39,416
Yea qdc sounds (...inserts any superlatives) good. But the ticket is expensive though.

whoa, all this talk about qdc really piqued my interest :relaxed: sounds like it can be a good match with my newly acquired 1Z. Has anyone tried this pairing before (gemini + 1z)?

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #5,678 of 39,416
Its inevitable bud.. We make out wallet cry one way or the other.. Its so much fun to make our friends wallets cry with our's..

Btw, I have been looking into VE's design options.. Looks sophisticated.. :wink:

Yeah, man. VE has some of the best build quality in the industry. I'm still waiting for their new wood faceplates to be officially available though; they look sick on Instagram.

whoa, all this talk about qdc really piqued my interest :relaxed: sounds like it can be a good match with my newly acquired 1Z. Has anyone tried this pairing before (gemini + 1z)?

I'd recommend asking the MS guys. They have the Gemini demo in-store and a few of their staff have WM1Z's.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #5,679 of 39,416
I'd recommend asking the MS guys. They have the Gemini demo in-store and a few of their staff have WM1Z's.

Thanks Deezel. I shall do that.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #5,680 of 39,416
Listened to the qdc 8SH again, again impressed by how it was able to combine musicality with excellent layering and separation. Everything is well-placed with just the right tonality as well as details. Though it did lack the guilty pleasure of listening to Rhapsodio Galaxy v3.

At the end of the day: glad I'm still young and single.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #5,681 of 39,416
Listened to the qdc 8SH again, again impressed by how it was able to combine musicality with excellent layering and separation. Everything is well-placed with just the right tonality as well as details. Though it did lack the guilty pleasure of listening to Rhapsodio Galaxy v3.

At the end of the day: glad I'm still young and single.

The only problem I've found with the QDC house sound is that they tend to lack a bit of lower-midrange body. Their IEMs sound - as you said - brilliantly layered and separated without sacrificing musicality, but you do miss a bit of fullness and fun. I guess it's a matter of preference, but considering the fact that I have other IEMs that can fulfil that quota for me, I'd love to have a QDC to complement my collection.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #5,682 of 39,416
lower-midrange body.

Exactly! Guess that's why Gemini is designed with a bass boost switch. 8SH is originally intended to be a studio reference monitor, I suppose.

But again it kinda reminds of the original HD800 minus the holographic soundstage but plus the more intimate presentation. Most IEMs still lack the holographic feeling that a headphone can present: among those that I own or owned, Andromeda is the one that is the closest to that feel of being "multidimensional."

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #5,683 of 39,416
Yeah, man. VE has some of the best build quality in the industry. I'm still waiting for their new wood faceplates to be officially available though; they look sick on Instagram.

Right? Do you mean the wooden faceplates like that on Marcus' (Headfonics) VE8? Those look sweet. Same with the QDC wooden faceplates.

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #5,684 of 39,416
This is what I worry about Hugo 2 pairing with A18. I was not sure it was the problem with the demo unit or there is little hiss for Hugo 2 in general.
No hiss with my A18/Hugo2 pairing unless it is so minor that I cannot hear it. They are a stellar combo that I listen to every day and love. As opposed to a DAP the Hugo2 sounds like a high-end desktop with a much more complex and natural soundstage with great timbre. Going back to my WM1A, AK100ii, or Caylx M, they sound like DAPs in comparison.

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #5,685 of 39,416
Right? Do you mean the wooden faceplates like that on Marcus' (Headfonics) VE8? Those look sweet. Same with the QDC wooden faceplates.

The wood on Marcus and Lieven's VE8's are already available (known as Wood Heart). I was talking about these!

upload_2017-10-31_12-10-24.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back