Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Nov 2, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #556 of 1,722
A DAC or a USB cable breaking in? What??? Sorry, that's absolute nonsense. I can maybe, just maybe, buy the notion that a speaker / driver needs to break in (and then it should only be a few minutes at best). But a USB cable that's transmitting an electrical signal? And a DAC which is just a micro-chip, no mechanical components? Come on....
Lmao USB cable break in baby. Didn't you realise your iPhone charges 10% slower when you first get it because the charger is new? Gotta let that charger cable break in broseph.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #557 of 1,722
A DAC or a USB cable breaking in? What??? Sorry, that's absolute nonsense. I can maybe, just maybe, buy the notion that a speaker / driver needs to break in (and then it should only be a few minutes at best). But a USB cable that's transmitting an electrical signal? And a DAC which is just a micro-chip, no mechanical components? Come on....
Yeah this is nonsense IMO.

Plus the DAC is a Burr-Brown OPA 1622. I just think @madFloyd preference isn't the Bathys and that's fine. That's why headphones like the excellent (and warmer) B&W PX8 exist.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #558 of 1,722
Yesterday I tried using the DAC mode of the Bathys via my iPhone. It should have sounded better than BT from my iPhone but I thought it sounded very dry and metallic. I'm assuming the DAC portion of the headphones needs to break in (or the USB cable).
Totally agree. I didn’t notice a major improvement.

I’m really enjoying using these for watching movies connected to my Nvidia shield

Nov 2, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #561 of 1,722
Nov 2, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #562 of 1,722
Nice review. Darko doesn't go over the top with sound quality comparisons. Very easy to understand what he's referring to with respect to the sound. He also doesn't compare the Bathys to wired, full sized headphones but very smartly limits the comparisons to other Bluetooth, ANC headphones. Thanks for the link!
Yeah I like his reviews. Just a shame he wasnt able to compare Bathys with something in the same league. Pitting them against the much cheaper Sonys or B&W PX7s2 is not helping much. Would love to get his take on PX8 vs PX7s2 and also vs Bathys.

Nov 2, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #564 of 1,722
That's an op-amp, not a DAC chipset. Usually you'd have multiple such op-amps associated with the actual DAC chip inside a retail DAC unit, and the OPA1622 is a fine op-amp at that, but it's not doing any digital to analog conversion.
Apparently (i.e. version / to be confirmed) it's an ESS DAC. So, pretty high end.

Nov 2, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #566 of 1,722
Nov 3, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #569 of 1,722
Actually, it's Transparent, Soft, and Hard (I forget what the most AC is called), at least according the app.
"Silent"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back