Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Apr 7, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #1,141 of 1,723
Hello, just a quick question about EQ – I am considering buying a USB DAC and use Bathys with 3.5mm Jack. I have heard EQ presets are working on all connection types – BT, USB and Jack. I would like confirm if someone already tested it, so: If I set custom or the new Dynamic EQ preset in the Focal app, that it’s going to affect sound also in Jack mode?

Thanks a lot.

You can't bypass the internal DAC on the bathys. Even if you hook up a 3.5mm analog cable it will still ADC then DAC on the headphones. The best you can do is USB-C to your phone if you don't want wireless.

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #1,142 of 1,723
20230407_130644.jpg
The duel of the best BT headphones on the market. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) Solitaire T didn't break Bathysa. Both headphones can be worn for hours. are very comfortable. The ST have clearly better insulation, both active and passive, completely cutting off from the outside. As for the sound, the ST have better bass, better control and extension, it is also a bit harder and kicks better. Bathys have a better scene. The STs are a bit more detailed. Unfortunately, if someone plans to listen to ST via USB, I advise against it, the built-in DAC is weak and has a maximum sampling rate of 16/48, while Bathys's 24/192. I was wondering why ST clash with Roon ARC but everything became clear after connecting to PC. In contrast to the Bathys Solitarie, they play the jack fully passive and sound best then. If ST cost as much as Bathys, you could consider it, but at their current price, I don't see the point of changing.

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #1,143 of 1,723
The duel of the best BT headphones on the market.

Some people, like me, and I know I'm not alone in this point of view, actually think that the best two ANC BT headphones in the market today are the Solitaire T and the ML 5909, and then the Bathys. Personally I think the Solitaire T is very clearly the best of the 3 (and I owning all 3 headphones).

Is a good justification for the (very) more expensive price of the Solitaire T than the Bathys? For me and others people, yes. And some people, specially when using in fully passive (wired) mode, with 3.5mm or balanced cables, thinking that the price is even maybe less expensive than is must be, because in their opinion the Solitaire T in only-wired mode is very excellent, even better than some others only-wired headphones in similar or more expensive price. BUT even in BT (High Quality) mode the tech of the Solitaire T is very unique.

T+A designing the Solitaire T first as a very good / excellent wired headphone, then they designing the unique BT part of the headphone. The tonal balance of the Solitaire T, in all its modes, is superb and is very consistent (not identical, but very, very close), something that isn't true with all or the very majority of ANC headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #1,144 of 1,723
Does anybody know how to roll back the firmware on the Bathys? I want the previous firmware back. Focal is severely angering me at this point. I'm on my 4th firmware. Focal thinks it's ok to completely change the sound of these headphones without even mentioning that they've changed the sound signature in the notes for these firmware releases. The 3rd one I tried was perfect. 4th one is thin and horrible. If I can't roll back I'm selling them. Urgently need to roll back.

Apr 11, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #1,146 of 1,723
I'm using it every day during office (+7 hours) hours for videoconferences and listen to music via DAC mode. In this mode also I can use the headphones's microphone. For me it's very comfortable, sounds amazing, with a lot of space/soundstage.
I've not been able to get mic working in DAC mode, only in BT mode. Are you on Windows or Mac OS?

Apr 11, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #1,147 of 1,723
I sure wish they’d do something about the incremental volume controls on iOS. The steps are ridiculously large.
The volume steps are non-linear on Android or connecting to Windows PC via Bluetooth as well. I posted about it in the other Bathys thread here as well. This is really my sole complaint about Bathys!

Apr 11, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #1,148 of 1,723
I've not been able to get mic working in DAC mode, only in BT mode. Are you on Windows or Mac OS?
I was going through the online manual today and I think I remember reading that on Apple phones you can't use the mic in DAC mode.

Apr 11, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #1,149 of 1,723
Does anybody know how to roll back the firmware on the Bathys? I want the previous firmware back. Focal is severely angering me at this point. I'm on my 4th firmware. Focal thinks it's ok to completely change the sound of these headphones without even mentioning that they've changed the sound signature in the notes for these firmware releases. The 3rd one I tried was perfect. 4th one is thin and horrible. If I can't roll back I'm selling them. Urgently need to roll back.
I didn't notice any tuning changes. Are you sure you didn't change to the new eq preset or something?

Apr 13, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #1,151 of 1,723
I'm using MacOS M1. When I connect it, in the midi&audio configuration panel I can see two devices in DAC mode, two outputs and two inputs. In google meet I can select both devices, one as an audio output and the other as a mic.

Captura de pantalla 2023-04-13 a la(s) 17.10.47.png

Apr 14, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #1,152 of 1,723
I'm using MacOS M1. When I connect it, in the midi&audio configuration panel I can see two devices in DAC mode, two outputs and two inputs. In google meet I can select both devices, one as an audio output and the other as a mic.

Captura de pantalla 2023-04-13 a la(s) 17.10.47.png
What resolution do you get in Audio MIDI Setup in DAC/BT/3.5mm modes?

Apr 14, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #1,154 of 1,723
Yes thank you!
In DAC Mode this is all the options:
Captura de pantalla 2023-04-14 a la(s) 08.56.35.png

In BT mode:
Captura de pantalla 2023-04-14 a la(s) 08.59.50.png

I not tested 3.5mm yet.

I hope this could help.
Yes thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back