Focal Clear headphones
Dec 11, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #10,186 of 12,644
Bought the Focal Clears apx 1 year ago. I had heard them a few times at stores and hi-fi shows. I really enjoyed the clarity and separation and thought to myself: I wonder if these would pair really well with the right tube amp?

So I am currently 1 year into testing them out with my everchanging collection of DACs & amps. And I might as well post it here as well, as it might be of interest to someone else.

Source is desktop PC running Spotify and Tidal Masters, Raspberry Pi Volumio, Bluesound node 2i or iFi Zen Stream. Tidal should be on a bitperfect chain when on PC at least, dont know about the streamers. I dont EQ. Interconnects varies but USB is usually Supra or Wireworld Ultraviolet. Power when not on battery is using Supra Lorad, Isotek or Pangea cables connected to Supra LoRad MD06-EU MKII mains block.

I use the Focal Clears for music and casual gaming. Music ranges from proper hifi stuff like Agnes Obel, Leonard Cohen and tracks i Shazam at hi-fi shows to lots of electronic music, folk-pop, acoustic, hip-hop, some rock and then many other genres which I don’t even know the name of. I’m pretty open to any tune as long as it sounds good. But not much Classical or Jazz.
All impressions are my own. And I might even change my view when I revisit a combination later after more listening
:smiley:
. Likely many will be of different opinions on which pairing they prefer.

Anyway here goes:

1.jpeg

Focal Clear pairings pt1:
Geek Pulse Xfi
(2x ES9018K2M, 2x Femto clocks) + SBooster 12V doing quite well. Perhaps bit more weight to the sound is needed. Amp part of the Geek Pulse Xfi is kinda light weight.

2.jpeg

Focal Clear pairings pt2:
The search for magic synergy continues. Added JDS Labs Atom to the mix. A great entry-level amp. DAC is still Lh Labs Geek Pulse XFi + SBooster 12V PSU. This combo sounds good. But (to my ears) something is still missing, need to try out the Focal Clears with more gear.

3.jpeg

Focal Clear pairings pt3: LH Labs Geek Out 450.
This is now a 7 year old DAC & AMP, but still extremely good sounding to my ears. It uses a very well implemented ESS9018K2M DAC chip. I think a lot of stuff released after and to higher pricepoint than the original $149-199 RRP simply does not compete. The GO450 drives the Focals with really good authority, clarity and a nice tonal balance. Some slight tizziness on hi-hats and such on poorly recorded stuff, probably due to the clarity from both headphones and DAC/AMP. Soundstage could be bigger not getting the holographic feeling I am looking for. But considering these can be found used for 60-120€ it’s a solid budget/starter option for the Focals. And actually for almost any headphone, as my GO450 and GO1000 play well with everything I have tried them on Denon, Fostex, Audeze, Hifiman, HD6xx etc. For Focals I’d stay away from the Geek Out 1000 (usually red coloured) model as its get loud too quick. It’s really sad the Geek Out is not produced any more, maybe a steady revenue stream would have saved the company?

Dec 11, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #10,187 of 12,644
4.jpeg

Focal Clear pairings pt4: Cavalli Tube Hybrid (stock Electro Harmonix 6922 tube) + Hegel HD12. Things are falling into place. I think it’s the best combo so far. And instantly I start thinking of better tubes
:laughing:
Hmm what to get?

5.jpeg

Focal Clear pairings pt5: Chord Mojo. Highly enjoyable. There is something with the slightly grainy Mojo sound character that I really like together with the Clears. Soundstage is quite big with sounds coming in from around the head. Maybe a bit more authority in the bass department is needed, not sure need to compare with more amps & dacs.

6.jpeg

Focal Clear pairings pt6: iFi Micro iDSD. Dual Burr Brown PCM1793 equipped DAC/AMP. Pretty good synergy to my ears. Enough weight to the sound, soundstage is ok and tonality is good. Somewhat similar grain/crisp as Chord Mojo but authority is better, likely since the iFi Micro iDSD has more power. Flip the Xbass switch for even more grunt. From what I have read the new iDSD Signature and Diablo are differently tuned than the old Micro iDSD silver, hopefully they play nice with Clears aswell. Still have at least 16 amp pairings to try out, this gonna take a while…

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #10,188 of 12,644

Focal Clear pairings pt4: Cavalli Tube Hybrid + Hegel HD12. Things are falling into place. I think it’s the best combo so far. And instantly I start thinking of better tubes
Hmm what to get?
What is your $/€/£/¥ limit? Some excellent NOS tubes (get 2: 1 use, 1 backup) that will suit the CTH without adapters are: Sylvania 6922 (green print), Amperex PQ 6922 (white print), Amperex PQ 7308 (orange print), Philips BEL E88CC, Tungsram E88CC. Just know that, if you go the NOS route, for 2 tubes you may spend an amount close to that of the CTH itself.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #10,189 of 12,644
What is your $/€/£/¥ limit? Some excellent NOS tubes (get 2: 1 use, 1 backup) that will suit the CTH without adapters are: Sylvania 6922 (green print), Amperex PQ 6922 (white print), Amperex PQ 7308 (orange print), Philips BEL E88CC, Tungsram E88CC. Just know that, if you go the NOS route, for 2 tubes you may spend an amount close to that of the CTH itself.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Around max 100-125€ a pair perhaps. I am in Europe and not much reliable NOS within EU, lots of Ebay fake stuff I think. Need to source from UK, Russia etc so thats another 25-30% in import :frowning2:
I have the Liquid Platinum as well, so I will likely buy 6922/E88CC in pairs.

Edit: And I actually have 12au7 adapters for the LP. But no 12au7 tubes yet.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #10,190 of 12,644
7.jpeg

Focal Clear pairings pt7: THX AAA789 + Geek Out V2+ Infinity (ES9018AQ2M DAC). Great clarity and separation but something just sounds off with this combo. It’s like parts of the midrange is sucked out, some sounds and instruments sound really flat and lack weight. A bit weird, enjoyable and not enjoyable at the same time. I think the THX Amp tech just doesn’t pair well with the Clears. Anyway the THX amp is really nice with other headphones, so no worries.

8.jpeg

Focal Clear pairings pt8: Chord Hugo. I like this pairing. Instruments have the proper weight and the sound is pleasant. I think 3D and soundstage might be improved with adding additional amplification. Like tubes or a coloured solid-state.

9.jpeg

Focal Clear pairings pt9: Chord Hugo + Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Almost instantly when the music started I felt “I might be onto something here”. Instruments and sounds were more 3D and presentation was more live and realistic. Compared to some of the flatter “music pushed into your ears” presentations from previous combos. I think the Liquid Carbon expands the Focal Clear sound like I’ve only heard tubes do before, but its still able to maintain the punch and authority of a solid-state. To my ears this is the best combo for the Clears so far. Let’s see which of my DACs work best with the Clears and Liquid Carbon, more on that later😄

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #10,191 of 12,644

Focal Clear pairings pt4: Cavalli Tube Hybrid + Hegel HD12. Things are falling into place. I think it’s the best combo so far. And instantly I start thinking of better tubes
Hmm what to get?

Focal Clear pairings pt5: Chord Mojo. Highly enjoyable. There is something with the slightly grainy Mojo sound character that I really like together with the Clears. Soundstage is quite big with sounds coming in from around the head. Maybe a bit more authority in the bass department is needed, not sure need to compare with more amps & dacs.

Focal Clear pairings pt6: iFi Micro iDSD. Dual Burr Brown PCM1793 equipped DAC/AMP. Pretty good synergy to my ears. Enough weight to the sound, soundstage is ok and tonality is good. Somewhat similar grain/crisp as Chord Mojo but authority is better, likely since the iFi Micro iDSD has more power. Flip the Xbass switch for even more grunt. From what I have read the new iDSD Signature and Diablo are differently tuned than the old Micro iDSD silver, hopefully they play nice with Clears aswell. Still have at least 16 amp pairings to try out, this gonna take a while…

Nice! Fantastic photo array. Love the natural wood grain...looks like white oak or ash ?

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #10,192 of 12,644
Nice! Fantastic photo array. Love the natural wood grain...looks like white oak or ash ?
Thanks! It is Mango wood according to the company who makes them.
The darker wood is just Oak veneer from Ikea so =)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #10,193 of 12,644
Thanks for the suggestions.
Around max 100-125€ a pair perhaps. I am in Europe and not much reliable NOS within EU, lots of Ebay fake stuff I think. Need to source from UK, Russia etc so thats another 25-30% in import :frowning2:
I have the Liquid Platinum as well, so I will likely buy 6922/E88CC in pairs.

Edit: And I actually have 12au7 adapters for the LP. But no 12au7 tubes yet.
I like YET…

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #10,194 of 12,644

Focal Clear pairings pt7: THX AAA789 + Geek Out V2+ Infinity (ES9018AQ2M DAC). Great clarity and separation but something just sounds off with this combo. It’s like parts of the midrange is sucked out, some sounds and instruments sound really flat and lack weight. A bit weird, enjoyable and not enjoyable at the same time. I think the THX Amp tech just doesn’t pair well with the Clears. Anyway the THX amp is really nice with other headphones, so no worries.

Focal Clear pairings pt8: Chord Hugo. I like this pairing. Instruments have the proper weight and the sound is pleasant. I think 3D and soundstage might be improved with adding additional amplification. Like tubes or a coloured solid-state.

Focal Clear pairings pt9: Chord Hugo + Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Almost instantly when the music started I felt “I might be onto something here”. Instruments and sounds were more 3D and presentation was more live and realistic. Compared to some of the flatter “music pushed into your ears” presentations from previous combos. I think the Liquid Carbon expands the Focal Clear sound like I’ve only heard tubes do before, but its still able to maintain the punch and authority of a solid-state. To my ears this is the best combo for the Clears so far. Let’s see which of my DACs work best with the Clears and Liquid Carbon, more on that later😄

I have been spending more time with Focal Clear, really enjoyed the read. Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #10,195 of 12,644
10.jpeg

Focal Clear pairings pt10: Chord Hugo + Eddie Current ZDT Jr (Laconic Night Blues Mini).
This is the way
:bulb:
:notes:
:headphones:
Another favourite combo. ZDT Jr makes the Clears sing. The sound reminds of the Liquid Carbon but slightly sweeter, less grainy without getting tube mushy or losing dynamics. And then the 3D-ness of tubes, instruments and sounds can be felt rather than just projected from distance, everything I play just sounds so nice. A “just one more tune” moment. It makes me want to turn up the volume and I can play this combo for hours without ear fatigue. Once you hit that tube magic synergy between amp and headphone, life is good.

My ZDT Jr is the revised version with steelband wrapped around the main transformer, but it did have some hum issues with the stock tubes, louder in the right channel. Rotating tubes left/right did not help. Tried with some GE 5654W as the front tubes, hum is more or less gone with the Clears! Tried 2nd pair of Voshkods and those are silent as well. Weird that switching left/right did not help but replacing tubes did. Need to investigate more but I’m not a tube doctor. So anyway…amazing amp, no hum, just had bad stock tubes (the smaller Voshkod 6ZH1P ones). Although still some hum with 124db inears, which is expected as it’s the same even with many solid state amps.

11.jpeg

Focal Clear pairings pt11: HRT Headstreamer
A combined DAC/AMP using Burr Brown PCM1793. Needed some perspective after enjoying the ZDT Jr for a few days. Initially I felt this is surprisingly good with nice dynamics and detail, considering the price (140€) and it’s age. But after a while the Headstreamers limitations start to shine through. Volume is not an issue but compared to previous devices the sound is quite harsh sometimes. Imaging, soundstage, tonality etc is also better on most or probably all of the previous amps/dacs.

12.jpeg

Focal Clear pairings pt12: Hegel HD12 + Monolith Cavalli Liquid Platinum (Stock tubes EH 6922)
This one was really difficult as I was expecting a killer combo and was looking forward to musical nirvana. To me its on the level of nice to good but there is no “holy macaroni" this plays so well. The sound just doesn’t take off and leave the transducers like I was hoping. Compared to ZDT Jr I am missing some air between instruments and the soundstage is moved to the sides and back of my head, instead of the more 360 front, side and back. The extra power from the LP does not seem to make a difference for the Clears and to me the ZDT Jr and Liquid Carbon sounded more dynamic and weighty. Need to revisit & compare with the CTH later, as I remember the CTH + Clear was a better pairing to my ears.

I think the LP characteristics are a better match with some of my planars than the Focal Clears. Maybe there is an electrical explanation to this, I dunno.
But I gave the combo 1-2h of Borderlands 2, and that was crazy good to me. Highly immersive, with weight and realism to in-game sounds and music. I felt surrounded and really inside the game. Weirdly different to my experience playing just music from Tidal and Spotify.

Let’s see if future tube rolling on the LP might change things, I have some Reflektor 6N23P-EV and Tesla E88CC to try out also, hopefully in good shape so I can give the LP another chance with the Clears.

So far this has been a really interesting experience. The Focal Clear is the most revealing headphone I have ever used. After testing the different combinations of amps and DACs it is getting easier to make out the differences. My learning so far is that the Focal Clear is really picky if you want it to sound the best. Because the sound changes a lot depending on your chain.

Favourite Amps so far for the Focal Clear
  1. Eddie Current ZDT Jr (stock front tubes replaced with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV NOS $24)
  2. Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon
  3. Probably… Cavalli Tube Hybrid (stock Electro Harmonix 6922 tube)
Favourite portable DAC/Amps so far for the Focal Clear
  1. Chord Hugo
  2. LH Labs Geek Out 450, iFi Micro iDSD Silver or maybe Chord Mojo
To be continued, at least 12 more amps to try.....

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #10,196 of 12,644
I bought the Clear OG for use with my Hugo 2 a year ago, after 2 months of searching and comparing headphones.
........ With the Mojo the music is softer, a bit mushed together and more of a sound “blob” in the head.
As much as I like the Mojo, the Hugo 2 is clearly better at making the Clears sing.
Well I finally managed to get myself a Hugo2, I should receive it in a few days, let's see if Hugo2 can work its magic.
The Clears are very balanced IMO, they don’t have the incredible stage of the HD800S or the still very wide one of the Arya, but they play any kind of music I throw at them really well, tonally more balanced IMO than either the HD800S or Arya.
I‘d give your ears some time to get used to the Clears and try to get a better DAC/Amp than the Mojo for testing.
Cheers!
My ears did not change their mind, but with Hugo2's arrival on the horizon, they may ...

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #10,197 of 12,644
10.jpeg
Focal Clear pairings pt10: Chord Hugo + Eddie Current ZDT Jr (Laconic Night Blues Mini).
This is the way
:notes:
:headphones:
Another favourite combo. ZDT Jr makes the Clears sing. The sound reminds of the Liquid Carbon but slightly sweeter, less grainy without getting tube mushy or losing dynamics. And then the 3D-ness of tubes, instruments and sounds can be felt rather than just projected from distance, everything I play just sounds so nice. A “just one more tune” moment. It makes me want to turn up the volume and I can play this combo for hours without ear fatigue. Once you hit that tube magic synergy between amp and headphone, life is good.

My ZDT Jr is the revised version with steelband wrapped around the main transformer, but it did have some hum issues with the stock tubes, louder in the right channel. Rotating tubes left/right did not help. Tried with some GE 5654W as the front tubes, hum is more or less gone with the Clears! Tried 2nd pair of Voshkods and those are silent as well. Weird that switching left/right did not help but replacing tubes did. Need to investigate more but I’m not a tube doctor. So anyway…amazing amp, no hum, just had bad stock tubes (the smaller Voshkod 6ZH1P ones). Although still some hum with 124db inears, which is expected as it’s the same even with many solid state amps.

11.jpeg
Focal Clear pairings pt11: HRT Headstreamer
A combined DAC/AMP using Burr Brown PCM1793. Needed some perspective after enjoying the ZDT Jr for a few days. Initially I felt this is surprisingly good with nice dynamics and detail, considering the price (140€) and it’s age. But after a while the Headstreamers limitations start to shine through. Volume is not an issue but compared to previous devices the sound is quite harsh sometimes. Imaging, soundstage, tonality etc is also better on most or probably all of the previous amps/dacs.

12.jpeg
Focal Clear pairings pt12: Hegel HD12 + Monolith Cavalli Liquid Platinum (Stock tubes EH 6922)
This one was really difficult as I was expecting a killer combo and was looking forward to musical nirvana. To me its on the level of nice to good but there is no “holy macaroni" this plays so well. The sound just doesn’t take off and leave the transducers like I was hoping. Compared to ZDT Jr I am missing some air between instruments and the soundstage is moved to the sides and back of my head, instead of the more 360 front, side and back. The extra power from the LP does not seem to make a difference for the Clears and to me the ZDT Jr and Liquid Carbon sounded more dynamic and weighty. Need to revisit & compare with the CTH later, as I remember the CTH + Clear was a better pairing to my ears.

I think the LP characteristics are a better match with some of my planars than the Focal Clears. Maybe there is an electrical explanation to this, I dunno.
But I gave the combo 1-2h of Borderlands 2, and that was crazy good to me. Highly immersive, with weight and realism to in-game sounds and music. I felt surrounded and really inside the game. Weirdly different to my experience playing just music from Tidal and Spotify.

Let’s see if future tube rolling on the LP might change things, I have some Reflektor 6N23P-EV and Tesla E88CC to try out also, hopefully in good shape so I can give the LP another chance with the Clears.

So far this has been a really interesting experience. The Focal Clear is the most revealing headphone I have ever used. After testing the different combinations of amps and DACs it is getting easier to make out the differences. My learning so far is that the Focal Clear is really picky if you want it to sound the best. Because the sound changes a lot depending on your chain.

Favourite Amps so far for the Focal Clear
  1. Eddie Current ZDT Jr (stock front tubes replaced with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV NOS $24)
  2. Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon
  3. Probably… Cavalli Tube Hybrid (stock Electro Harmonix 6922 tube)
Favourite portable DAC/Amps so far for the Focal Clear
  1. Chord Hugo
  2. LH Labs Geek Out 450, iFi Micro iDSD Silver or maybe Chord Mojo
To be continued, at least 12 more amps to try.....

I've paired my Clears (OG) with a Hagerman Tuba for a while now. I roll a slightly warmer tube (Tungsram Ei Yugo) = :gs1000smile:

If/when you get a chance...might want to consider it. https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/products/tuba-vacuum-tube-headphone-amplifier

It's a little tank. No fancy BS.

Dec 13, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #10,198 of 12,644
Well I finally managed to get myself a Hugo2, I should receive it in a few days, let's see if Hugo2 can work its magic.

My ears did not change their mind, but with Hugo2's arrival on the horizon, they may ...
Looking forward to your impressions! Hope it works out for you
Just listening to the Clears with the Hugo 2
I've had that combo for a year and the SQ still stuns me when I find a new, excellent recording to dive into

Dec 13, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #10,199 of 12,644
Looking forward to your impressions! Hope it works out for you
Just listening to the Clears with the Hugo 2
I've had that combo for a year and the SQ still stuns me when I find a new, excellent recording to dive into
Is the Hugo 2 much different to the mojo when using the Clears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back