Focal Clear headphones
Mar 10, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #2,956 of 12,633
I agree the Utopia is a clear step up from the Clear, both more resolve an a more linear low end. I still can't get past that slight hump both the Elear and Clear have and frankly I still think the Utopia is the only Focal I really love without any reservations! That said, the Clear is a HUGE step in the right direction for them and their $1000 offerings and I'm quite impressed with it despite wishing it was a little less bassy.

Oh and my review of it is up! I was so busy prepping for meets I forgot to post it >.>

Yes the $4000 Utopia is at times amazing and better than the Clears. But what the Clear has over the Utopia is... better bass, less siblance, better accessories, price, plus a better all rounder.

Mar 10, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #2,959 of 12,633
The

bass is the low pitched resonant, rumbling, booming, sound.
Sibilance is the need to turn volume down while listening to high pitch sounds like trumpets.

lol, that's not what I meant, I'm aware of what bass and sibilance is. I meant, define what means "better bass" to you.

Also, that's not what sibilance is. Sibilance is the "sss" sound you might hear sometimes, typically in higher frequencies. You're talking about fatigue.

Mar 10, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #2,960 of 12,633
lol, that's not what I meant, I'm aware of what bass and sibilance is. I meant, define what means "better bass" to you.

Also, that's not what sibilance is. Sibilance is the "sss" sound you might hear sometimes, typically in higher frequencies. You're talking about fatigue.
Don’t get me wrong. I listened to the Utopias for 3 weeks. The Utopia is great. Tyll of Innerfidelity shares my experience.

Mar 10, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #2,962 of 12,633
Completely shameless plug, but I just posted my Clear review since there aren't many around yet. It's not exactly the most original review out there, but I sincerely agree with the InnerFidelity one that it is a game changer for the industry.

(I prefer it to the Utopia, but can well understand people coming to the opposite conclusion)

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #2,964 of 12,633

The 6 k spike in the utopia,the headphone is overrated and over priced,loving my clear and they haven't even ran in yet,bass far better

Mar 10, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #2,966 of 12,633
The

bass is the low pitched resonant, rumbling, booming, sound.
Sibilance is the need to turn volume down while listening to high pitch sounds like trumpets.

Yea that sums it up nicely, the Clear booms where as the Utopia has more of a rumble, to my ears boom isn't really good. An overly forward bass will boom and I'm not a big boom fan, and the clear is also a little darker or it doesn't have some of those odd peaks the Utopia has that can make it... a bit overly bright on some systems and with some recordings

Overall, @vrln and I seem to agree, it's a game changer for sure. Even if it's not my preference for a lot of people like @Luke Thomas who like a little less fidelity in exchange for some engagement it is, and kudos for Focal creating an engaging headphone that's also some what competitive in terms of resolve. Grados are also very engaging headphones, but dollar for dollar they lack technicalities compared to other equally price headphones... an as much as I love them... the clear is still "technically" better. It's a good mix of "magic" or engagement and technicality, though I personally still prefer a grado when I want an engaging listen or my HD 800 when I want technicality

Still the Clear is by far one of the safest and easier recommendations on the market especially for newer members an budding audiophiles who are just starting to explore the relationship that a system has with a headphone when it comes down to resolve, it does so much right with so little!

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #2,969 of 12,633
I've had this headphone for well over a month now, and i like it for it's great balance, dynamics/speed and inherent versatility.
For me, the listening experience is unique and enjoyable enough to hold on to them for now.

An your not alone! Had they launched the Clear instead of the Elear and I heard that at the end of 2016 instead... I too would have likely been a Clear Owner. Only after chasing down a good LCD 2 and modding my HD 800 can I say that the Clear isn't for me. Otherwise had I not had those two I'd likely have picked one up too! It's quite good and your right in that it is unique and enjoyable!

And I've owned both

Thanks for clarifying that! I did feel even the Utopia could have a little... better bass. It's not quite Planar levels of linear, so I can see that a slight mid bass hump would be an acceptable substitute for some in that regard,

though I'm still with @dontfeedphils the other concerning issue here though is production variations. Some of the Amazon reviews are claiming the newer Utopia's are bassier and darker than the previous? Has any one explored that concept

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #2,970 of 12,633
That's great, and I'm happy you were able to own both. Unfortunately that doesn't magically transform your opinion into fact.

I find that sibilance only occurs in the Utopia when it’s matched with a front end (amp/Source) that is pushing sibilance as a characteristic to the amp or source.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back