Focal Clear headphones
Jun 14, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #3,946 of 12,609
Ah that would explain the difference and the feeling of the Utopia being a bit closed vs Clear

I just heard that the demo utopia is probably about 4 months old, so that’s unlikely to be the explanation. Back to being puzzled ...

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #3,947 of 12,609
According to all reviews I’ve seen, measurements, online opinions and own experience, the Utopia has a slightly leaner bass and sharper low-treble than the Clear. Wonder why someone would hear it differently, heard on same tracks and same setup, on the same day?

Anyway, still super happy with my Clear purchase, such a freedom to not have to listen from a PC to get really wellbalanced sound (Elear with sonarworks was my old solution that sounded pretty much the same). Trying to be objective, I still think the Elear with sonarworks is damn close to the Clear, but the Clear is maybe a little sharper/clearer and more micro/macro-dynamic.

Oh and to follow up on the headphone stand question, I’ve ordered one from avantree that looked sturdy and with a big surface area for the headband. If I don’t like it, I’m going with the Perch, although it’s twice the price and imo VERY costly for a merely a stand...

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #3,948 of 12,609
I just heard that the demo utopia is probably about 4 months old, so that’s unlikely to be the explanation. Back to being puzzled ...

Focal denied that rumor. It has been floating around for some time but as far as I know, nobody found any proof.

Jun 14, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #3,949 of 12,609
Focal denied that rumor. It has been floating around for some time but as far as I know, nobody found any proof.

Rumors? On headfi? No! Really? Hahahahaha it’s filled with made up rumors. I read things that have me nearly falling off my chair with laughter it’s so preposterous.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 16, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #3,951 of 12,609
What is the consensus regarding burn-in time on the Clears? A Focal representative told me 'There are no particular rules for that. Just listen to your headphones...'. My retailer told me, 100hrs is recommended. I know, it is a controversial topic, but thought I pick up some opinions from Clear owners. My new Clears do sound a bit 'raw' compared to the demo pair I heard in a store.

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #3,952 of 12,609
What is the consensus regarding burn-in time on the Clears? A Focal representative told me 'There are no particular rules for that. Just listen to your headphones...'. My retailer told me, 100hrs is recommended. I know, it is a controversial topic, but thought I pick up some opinions from Clear owners. My new Clears do sound a bit 'raw' compared to the demo pair I heard in a store.

If you want to, do it, if not, then don't. Either way, don't let it stop you from listening to your headphones right now.

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #3,953 of 12,609

That's just how the Focal Clear sounds. Mine is now 4 months old and still has not disappeared. I really have to use my best equipment to mitigate it.

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #3,954 of 12,609
I was wondering the same thing myself.
The pair I auditioned at home sounded a lot better than the ones I've owned which have maybe 10 hours on them.
I still might change the cable to a minm audio black dragon.

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #3,955 of 12,609

The Focal response reinforces my belief that there's no significant physical burn-in effect. The difference in sound could be due to manufacturing differences in the two headphones, but more likely it's just due to variability in your perception.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #3,956 of 12,609
Not the worst background to my upcoming UM Mason V3 review. :)
clear2.jpg

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #3,957 of 12,609

Allow me to give you information that is more realistic than someone’s conjecture.

Yes burn in makes a difference. In the case of the Clear the average burn in time is between 200-250 hours.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 16, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #3,958 of 12,609
Yes, I'd like real evidence showing a sound difference due to physical change, rather than the someone's conjecture. There are some incentives for manufacturers and sellers to suggest that there's physical burn in, even if there really isn't:

- People will be more likely to buy headphones, because they sound good enough when they demo them and they'll expect them to sound better over time.

- People will be less likely to return headphones within return periods that are offered, because they haven't reached the claimed burn-in time during that period.

- The expectation of sound improving due to burn-in will actually cause the perceived sound to improve, making people less likely to return them.

- Separate from expectation effects, people's perception will adapt to the sound of the headphones so that they sound better over time, making it less likely that they'll return them.
Valid points, and I completely agree.

My doubts are coming from my latest experiences. I had a chance to compare a used NightHawk to a new one and there was an obvious difference in sound.
And the Clear I heard in store sounded a bit different to my new ones, however I am relying on memory here. (Even though I used the same gear.)

Jun 17, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #3,959 of 12,609
^ Yeah, not sure why a dealer would want to touch these topics, unless he has factual information from the manufacturer to share.

Agreed that the topic generally belongs in sound science, but if the question is specifically about burn in for the Clear, this thread seems the proper place to discuss it.

Jun 17, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #3,960 of 12,609
To be honest, I'm about to unsubscribe from this thread. Not because of the last few posts but because I haven't really learned anything about the Clears since I've subscribed.

In the beginning, I looked forward to hearing the email chime on my phone, hoping it was a post about the Clears. Now, I roll my eyes realizing it's probably another post about how to clean the Clears, or their neutral tonal balance or.....my favorite.....Chord pairings.

It's the same old, same old over and over again.
Please, someone give me a reason to be happy about my email notifications again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back