Focal Clear headphones
Mar 16, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #9,215 of 12,550
Hi,

Here is Focal's official introduction video at youtube, published today :
( I am not sure whether it is any or much different from Focal's video for the Clear MG Pro though)

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #9,218 of 12,550
I would like to see head to head measurements of the MG and MG Pro.

Mar 16, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #9,219 of 12,550
This is in French but great video and some factory insight as well on the new Clear MG.

Mar 18, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #9,221 of 12,550
I still don't see how the old metal mesh + Honeycomb layer can be considered "more open" than only the metal mesh, but whatever.

Celestee looks very sexy in the second video. :D

Mar 18, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #9,222 of 12,550
Funny thing, in his "review" video Jude said the same thing about the new Clear, being more "open" on the outer side as well, vs the old one, because of the extra honeycomb grill on top of the mesh. It's Focal fault tho, they failed (conveniently) to point out they meant more open vs using a round holed grill, and not vs the old model that had no grill at all on top of the mesh. Again, it's purely a cosmetic thing, to set apart the open back models from the closed back models (styled with honeycomb and round grills respectively).

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #9,223 of 12,550
Any measurements of the old clears with the new pads release yet?
Hoping that they could be a darker colored alternative to the OG pads which wouldn't change the overall measurements too much like other swapped pads do.

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #9,224 of 12,550
I still don't see how the old metal mesh + Honeycomb layer can be considered "more open" than only the metal mesh, but whatever.

Celestee looks very sexy in the second video. :D
Funny thing, in his "review" video Jude said the same thing about the new Clear, being more "open" on the outer side as well, vs the old one, because of the extra honeycomb grill on top of the mesh. It's Focal fault tho, they failed (conveniently) to point out they meant more open vs using a round holed grill, and not vs the old model that had no grill at all on top of the mesh. Again, it's purely a cosmetic thing, to set apart the open back models from the closed back models (styled with honeycomb and round grills respectively).

In one of Focal's videos about the Clear Mg, Clémente Auzou (Electro Acoustic System Design, Headphone Section) at Focal said that the outside hex pattern grid allowed a more open area. I think what he's referring to is the fact that they went with a thinner gauge wire for the Mg's grille to open it up more, and the hex grille is probably necessary to compensate for the reduced rigidity of the more delicate screen on the Mg.

Perhaps Focal can chime in and confirm what I'm saying or correct me. I've been wrong before.

Here's a closeup photo of both grilles I just took, trying my best to make sure the lens was equidistant from both headphones:

IMG_20210319_171025_WEB.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #9,225 of 12,550
Doesn't really matter. I'm all for even the slightest improvement. It's just that... the "more open" rant... it's just marketing. Tuning headphones is a much more specific matter. Need the right acoustic impedance for tuning the frequency response, in fact "more open" can be, and usually is, really bad in that regard. There is a silky acoustic impedance, dust, filter under the mesh and all around the driver, cup. As far as reflections and resonances, the bigger flat surface of the grill and thinner gauge of the mesh, can only make things messier. Also, it doesn't look more open, regardless of the seemingly thinner gauge, which is just a purely cosmetic matter anyhow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back