Focal Clear vs Clear MG sound comparison.
Mar 23, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #16 of 53
Apr 21, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #18 of 53
Do these crackle / clip even at reasonable volume like the Elear was known to at times, and supposedly the clear?

Apr 22, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #19 of 53
Guys guys guys some marketing claims the clear is 95% of the utopia.... so if the MG sounded much better it would be as good as the flagship set so it sounds different which those of you with stupid siblings know is a nice way of saying worse

jk but yeah I like crinicles stuff but do not agree with him on his 6XX and DT1990 placings or not having monoprice listed on his guide interested to know the differences as someone looking to dip thier wick in "budget summit-fi" and eyeing the clear as my endgame Dynamic purchase so I can just stop spending money (I won't but we all should try to be better people)

Apr 22, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #22 of 53
It should be lower than when they were on sale for $800 way back, that would be reasonable.

I generally find Focal prices inflated from the start.
They're hardly the only ones who do inflate their prices but yeah I agree.
Well that's progress. i never understood how that could happen so easily with a headphone with a 3 or 4 digit price tag. It wasn't like I had an amp cranked, I could replicate this on a V20.

Apr 22, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #24 of 53
Focal pads go for $200. Need I say more? Who in the right of mind pay $200 for pads?
wow that is crazy. you can buy a lot of useful things for $200,...or you can buy some Focal pads.

Jul 7, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #26 of 53
Selling my Clear MG Pros. Listed in the classifieds.

Moving up the ladder...

20210330_092021.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #29 of 53
Just received the Clear (Originals) and the MGs. For reference, also have the Elegia, in addition: OPPO PM3, Audeze Sine (sold), Senn 6xx, AKG K7xx, Hifi 4xx, ATH M50x (getting pretty far down the line here..).
Clear Originals = "Clears"; MGs = "MGs" going forward.
Been doing extensive back and forth since Tuesday (2/1/22). Right off the bat it's obvious that the MGs are much warmer and thicker sounding than the Clears. MGs certainly have more bass presence, but almost too much. However, it certainly is an easy listen and after a drink and maybe something else, it's super easy to just sit back and let the music envelop you. The Clears are a little more engaging, especially when first put on, which brings me to the crux of my issue comparing the two:
It's really hard to do A/B testing with Focal headphones, and it comes down the pads. I've found that (especially wrt brand new) Focal pads tend to be a little stiff. My 2yr old Elegia pads are way more comfortable than either of the brand new Clear/MG pads. Especially when I first put them on. Anybody who lives in a more chilly climate (New England for me) knows that Focal pads can be rather stiff and cold when you first put them on. This greatly affects the resonance frequencies within the cups. A cold, hard, stiff pad will reflect more sound, particularly higher frequencies (well really it's that reflected high frequencies are more noticeable in a negative way, where resonant bass frequencies tend to just come across as the headset "rumbling"), making the headphone sound bright when first put on. In addition to the pads, just like all our senses, our hearing quickly adapts to whatever it is encountering at the time. Think your eyes hurting when going from a dark room to sunshine, or ears ringing after a loud concert. The same goes for frequencies and headphones. The longer I wear either set, the more "normal" they seem to sound.
I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned this when reviewing and comparing headphones in general, but especially Focal. I will say that of my whole collection, Focal pads seem to be the most heat-dependent. This has made it difficult to compare the headphones track-for-track, because while I listen with one, the other "cools off" so much that it sounds bright again when putting it back on. Tomorrow (2/4/22) I plan on having a buddy over to hear them, so we will be able to trade back and forth to better hear the difference, with change of heat being taken out of the variables.

On a whole, by and large, I *think* I prefer the Clears, with the MGs just sounding a little too bloated, but again - sometimes I want to just be enveloped in the music and forget about "critical listening". This is not to say you can't get the same from the Clears, it's just different - more in your face.

If people are still interested in a detailed comparison, let me know and I will try to take some pictures and type something up.

Cheers and happy listening!
-Dan C

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #30 of 53
I much prefer the MG. I got the OG for comparison and was able to make a decision really quickly.

The OG was boring in comparison. It sounded sterile, like what every other high end can is going for. Just really clean and clear with a sharpish treble.

They reminded me so much of other high end headphones like T1, like Sundara. Neutral. Really clean but neutral.

The MG is so much more enjoyable for me. It has a lush sound, it has impactful bass. The sibilance is tamed. They are so detailed and the midrange sounds more nuanced, they have gorgeous midrange. Vocals have texture like I haven't heard before. I don't think I've heard any headphone sound better than the MG as far as clarity and detail but it does it in an enjoyable way, unlike the OG. The MG are fun and lush and enjoyable, while also being incredibly detailed. Did I mention imaging is amazing?

The MG blends fun and extreme resolution in a way most high end cans fail to do as they strictly go after a neutral sound. They're end game headphones for enjoyment.

Idk, maybe if you like more sterile presentation, the OG would be better for you but it was not close for me and my preferences.

There was nothing about OG that I preferred to my MG. There's ultimately a lot of headphones on market for that type of OG sound.

As always in this hobby - YMMV.

I'm really glad I got the MG prior to getting the OG. I am confident if I had heard the OG first I would have just written off the MG and not been interested in ever trying them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back