Focal Clear ....VS....Fostex TH900 MKII....VS....Klipsch HP-3
Apr 28, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #31 of 35
I say go with HP-3 ,
focal not doing so well compared to HP3 with this kind of music .
i-6mFBfq7-L.jpg

I own both .

Apr 28, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #32 of 35
I’ve owed TH-900 MKII’s and I currently own the HP-3’s. I haven’t heard the Clears as I own the Utopia’s. The TH-900’s as someone else said has a big, vibrant and dynamic sound. It’s also the most v-shaped of the three. They are good for hip-hop but they excel at other genres as well. For a closed/semi-closed headphone they are very open sounding. They can also be bright sounding on some tracks. The bass reaches deep. But it’s clean, layered with very good definition. But it can be exhausting because it ways present in large quantities.

Enter the HP-3’s. They are not as v-shaped as the TH-900’s. The have a more balanced sound with elevated bass and detailed highs. The highs don’t sound as strident as the TH-900’s. But yet they have excellent clarity. With Hip-Hop they are outstanding. The HP-3’s are more musical the TH-900’s because of it tuning and does well with just about any genre of music. Because the mids are more energetic they are a great fit for rock and heavy metal. Something the I would not listen to with the TH-900’s. The bass on the HP-3’s is just as deep but has a little more thump to it. Kick drums sound like kick drums should sound as the HP-3’s have a faster decay.

So the Klipsch gets my for Hip-Hop and seems the most versatile. If you’re curious about the Utopia’s. I’ll just say they are the most dynamic, fast, clear headphones I’ve have heard. The bass is also deep but it only turn on when called for. It’s not always present like the TH-900’s or HP-3’s. But it’s just as deep but not as extended as the other two. I’ve gotten the Utopia’s to bottom out on bass heavy songs at high volumes. I think is the size of the driver. The Utopia’s driver is a lot smaller than the other two. But I’m sure design has something to do with it as well.
Klipsch HP-3 doesn't have excellent clarity, and it's a fairly avg sounding headphone.

Apr 28, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #33 of 35
I have the Fostex TH900 mk one. The bass goes very deep, hits hard and is very fast and controlled. There's no fat or reverb to it, which to me makes it sound dry and on the boring side. The recessed mids also makes them sound a bit thin. For a full sounding headphone with great bass I much prefer my ZMF Eikons when listening to music. But for movies and gaming the Fostex is actually better. I think it gives a better feeling of clarity to the sound in films and games.

Apr 28, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #34 of 35
Interesting topic. I have a Clear and feels like something is missing when listening to hip-hop...
Tried the TH900 but didn't like the high. Will try to find a Klipsch

Apr 28, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #35 of 35
Klipsch HP-3 doesn't have excellent clarity, and it's a fairly avg sounding headphone.
Compared to a lot of headphones I’ve listened too I’d say they are better than average. Like I said they aren’t Utopia level detailed but the treble works well within the tuning Klipsch has set for the headphone. I enjoy my HP-3’s quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back