Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Aug 7, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #1,561 of 5,632

In short, this.

Elear pads on the Utopia really add a lot of heft to the bass.

Utopia pads on the Elear tone back the bass to a more balanced signature, which is nice, but it also brightens up the treble just a bit...   

Thanks Stillhart for looking into this.

This pretty much confirms what I suspected. 

It looks like the voicing of the Elear and the Utopia is mainly tied to their respective earpads.  This now gives owners an easy way to experiment with their tuning without having to do any serious modding.

Aug 7, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #1,562 of 5,632

Pronounced El E-AAAAR, like El Chapo but more angry Lucha Libre announcer styles with a dash of pirate at the end.

I grew up in French immersion so I am absolutely an authority on this.    

Actually, it's not. It's pronounced E-LEAR (or EE-LEER). It's a portmanteau of "Elite Ears", so actually of English origin.
I'm an authority on this 'cause I watched 26:52 of the video in post #1. 
wink.gif

(Oh, and I made a point of listening to the vid via the SE-Master 1 to ensure a crystal clear rendition allowing me to hear every little nuance of the pronunciation, thereby cementing my absolute authority.  
tongue.gif
 )

Aug 7, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #1,563 of 5,632

Actually, it's not. It's pronounced E-LEAR (or EE-LEER). It's a portmanteau of "Elite Ears", so actually of English origin.
I'm an authority on this 'cause I watched 26:52 of the video in post #1. 
wink.gif

(Oh, and I made a point of listening to the vid via the SE-Master 1 to ensure a crystal clear rendition allowing me to hear every little nuance of the pronunciation, thereby cementing my absolute authority.  
tongue.gif
 )

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #1,564 of 5,632
Maybe I should consider the "Utopia" (ewe-toe-pee-ahh) instead of (your pronunciation here), as it's easier to say and probably a less controversial pronunciation.

But, seriously, I'm working my way through the usual suspects: HD800S, HiFi Mans Ed X (or the next one up the price list), LCD-X or 3, etc.

I currently have Dharma in-house this week to audition. Sounds like I must put both Focals on my "to do" list. Judes video was so interesting, I've got to watch it a 2nd time.

Aug 7, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #1,565 of 5,632
  Maybe I should consider the "Utopia" (ewe-toe-pee-ahh) instead of (your pronunciation here), as it's easier to say and probably a less controversial pronunciation.

Don't be so sure of that. The Focal guy pronounces it Ü-TOP-YAH rather than U-TOE-PEE-YAH, using the French pronunciation rather than the English one this time around. I think he does it on purpose too; it's probably all part of an intricate plan to drive everyone crazy (enough to spend 4000 bucks on a headphone 
biggrin.gif
).

Aug 7, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #1,566 of 5,632

Don't be so sure of that. The Focal guy pronounces it Ü-TOP-YAH rather than U-TOE-PEE-YAH, using the French pronunciation rather than the English one this time around. I think he does it on purpose too; it's probably all part of an intricate plan to drive everyone crazy (enough to spend 4000 bucks on a headphone 
biggrin.gif
).

LOL!!!

Aug 7, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #1,567 of 5,632
Mike Mercer recently posted that the Utopia is a little lifeless and that he preferred the Elear by quite a margin.

For those that have heard the Utopia - do you think going forward people will prefer to pair it with a tube amp or something to inject a little more musicality into it? A good chance that they will be EQ'd by the owners?

Seems to be pretty common with resolving cans being maybe a little too sterile and 'precise', and the fun factor taking a backseat.

Aug 7, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #1,568 of 5,632
Mike Mercer recently posted that the Utopia is a little lifeless and that he preferred the Elear by quite a margin.

For those that have heard the Utopia - do you think going forward people will prefer to pair it with a tube amp or something to inject a little more musicality into it? A good chance that they will be EQ'd by the owners?

Seems to be pretty common with resolving cans being maybe a little too sterile and 'precise', and the fun factor taking a backseat.

I guess some would consider the Utopia to be "sterile", but personally I think the Utopia is already a good chunk more "fun" compared to something like the HD800.

Aug 7, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #1,571 of 5,632
Aug 7, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #1,573 of 5,632
That's interesting. I will admit he spent about 2 minutes with them so he's damn fast on his evaluation!!

Some people just got the ears and from that, we assume no more need to listen. . . 

But I think another opinion would be valid so send me a pair and I will be happy to spend more than 2 minutes and give my honest opinion. 

Aug 7, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #1,574 of 5,632
Don't forget on the 13th of August the Utopia and Elear will be at our Chicago meet courtesy of The Source AV. As a default they will be paired with an Amp and Sound Kenzie (rare tubes I understand) and a Pulse Infinity fed by Roon on a laptop.

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #1,575 of 5,632

I spoke to Mike about it and he's with Jude in that he wishes the Utopia were tuned more like the Elear.  Given his typical preferences, that doesn't surprise me at all.  

As for pairing, I spent a few hours with it yesterday on the LAu and didn't find it too sterile at all.  But I guess the LAu is pretty musical for a SS amp.  Off something like the Rag or the HA430, I could see some people finding it too sterile I suppose.  I think it's slightly less sterile than the HD800 and good pairings for the 800 should work well with the Utopia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back