Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jul 13, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #1,021 of 5,632

The Elear and the HD 800S are actually very similar in overall FR and SQ.  The HD 800S has the larger and more impressive (but IMHO, somewhat over-exaggerated) soundstage, but the Elear has a noticeably fuller sounding bass region that makes the HD 800S (and the HD 700 and HD 650) sound relatively bass-light by comparison.

Which one is "better" is something that only you can decide, but with a $700 savings over the HD 800S, I'd take the Elear in a heatbeat!  
L3000.gif

That's quite interesting. The Focal Elear has even a greater treble roll off than the HD 650 according to the measurements, yet it is very similar to the HD 800 S? 

I suspect the HD 800 S sounds bass light due the recessed mids and treble of the Elear (so the bass has more freedom in the overall sound). That's how the Shure SE846 works too (the filters basically remove the mids and treble which brings out the bass more)

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #1,022 of 5,632
I did ordered last month the Utopia and today Ive got the message from the dealer, that there is a delay in the production. First Utopia will come to Germany mid to end of August.

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #1,023 of 5,632

That's quite interesting. The Focal Elear has even a greater treble roll off than the HD 650 according to the measurements, yet it is very similar to the HD 800 S?

Actually, according to Tyll's measurements, the Focal has around 5dB more treble (@10kHz) than the HD 650 does and a similar amount as the HD 800S. 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalElear.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800S.pdf

But as always, measurements can never tell you how a headphone actually sounds, only your ears can.
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #1,024 of 5,632

Actually, according to Tyll's measurements, the Focal has around 5dB more treble (@10kHz) than the HD 650 does and a similar amount as the HD 800S. 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalElear.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800S.pdf

But as always, measurements can never tell you how a headphone actually sounds, only your ears can.
wink.gif

If you look at the graphs, the Elear drops -20 db after the 10khz peak which is a bigger treble roll off than the HD 650 has? The HD 650 is more linear in that region.

I'm going to listen to it next month once they become available. I'm going to be very surprised if what you say is true :) 

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #1,025 of 5,632
Wow, this is fun.  I love new product launches.  

The reason I asked about a comparison between the LCD-4 and Utopia is they are at the same (very high) price point.  I was considering the "4" until the Utopia showed up and I watched Jude's discussion with the designer.  That's interesting.  A dynamic headphone priced at $4000.  The technology he described was fascinating.  It really sounded like they have covered the bases.  

But y'all know in the end it comes down to our personal ears.  Therefore the question about how the Utopia sound vs. the LCD-4, which already have many positive listening comments.  I am looking forward to Tyll's review (of both Focal models).

Cheers all,
RCB

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #1,026 of 5,632

If you look at the graphs, the Elear drops -20 db after the 10khz peak which is a bigger treble roll off than the HD 650 has? The HD 650 is more linear in that region.

I'm going to listen to it next month once they become available. I'm going to be very surprised if what you say is true :) 

Just keep in mind that treble frequencies become significantly less audible to the human ear (at normal listening levels) as they begin to rise above @10kHz.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #1,027 of 5,632
I'm pretty much in the same boat; I was initially trying to decide between the HEK, Abyss, and LCD-4.  I'd pretty much decided on the LCD-4 until the Utopia came along last month.  Waiting to hear more impressions and may have to ultimately scrimp, save, and buy two of the above.

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #1,028 of 5,632
I did ordered last month the Utopia and today Ive got the message from the dealer, that there is a delay in the production. First Utopia will come to Germany mid to end of August.

Mmm........... My dealer says end of July to mid-August for my pre-ordered Utopia and that's an ETA, subject to further delays from Focal.

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #1,030 of 5,632
So the first batch of Utopia is sold out? How many pieces? It's hot sale but why still no complete reviews here? Exciting!
I see there is still misinformation going on out there. No! The first shipment is not sold out. The first shipment has not yet arrived in its entirety. The first shipment goes to us at The Source AV and is several hundred units. We will begin shipping new customers late next week. Old customers that getting theirs replaced will begin receiving them the middle of next week. If you are being told later this month to August it simply means it's really mid to late next month and it also means you haven't purchased them from The Source AV.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 14, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #1,031 of 5,632

Just keep in mind that treble frequencies become significantly less audible to the human ear (at normal listening levels) as they begin to rise above @10kHz.

There are other systems in the body that perceive sound and frequency. Also having a higher frequency response can help with distortion in frequencies below the top level. I could hear the freq. scan until it cut off, though there were also some harmonics interlaced with it. 

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #1,032 of 5,632
As it happens, there is a member here that owns both the LCD-4 and the Focal Utopia. I believe he's made this comprehensive comparison. He hasn't named the LCD-4 in his comments because he saw the aggression in this thread and didn't want to be part of that nonsense. Let's ask him to come forward with his unbiased opinion and promise him he won't be attacked for providing us his experience between these 2 like priced headphones. I won't name him, he'll need to make that choice.

I have had the LCD-4 since it's introduction (original 100Ohm version that failed after a few months and required repair with both drivers being replaced with the 200 Ohm version) so I have spent a lot of time getting to know its character and presentation. After having used the Utopia for a few weeks, I can share that the Utopia provides a very different experience. They are NOT similar and your tastes/preferences will be the most relevant factor in deciding which one is "best" for you.

For my listening preference, the Utopia is the headphone I reach for the most over the last couple of weeks.

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #1,033 of 5,632

I have had the LCD-4 since it's introduction (original 100Ohm version that failed after a few months and required repair with both drivers being replaced with the 200 Ohm version) so I have spent a lot of time getting to know its character and presentation. After having used the Utopia for a few weeks, I can share that the Utopia provides a very different experience. They are NOT similar and your tastes/preferences will be the most relevant factor in deciding which one is "best" for you.

For my listening preference, the Utopia is the headphone I reach for the most over the last couple of weeks.

I tend to reach for newer stuff for a while. For you, do you feel that the Utopia bring you closer to the music? 

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #1,034 of 5,632

Interesting - thank you.  Can you share your upstream rig and music preferences with us?  Looking forward to impressions of the music SQ that is provided by these two killer cans!

Best -
RCB

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #1,035 of 5,632

I tend to reach for newer stuff for a while. For you, do you feel that the Utopia bring you closer to the music? 

I certainly agree that one tends to like newer stuff for a while.

All I can say is that I have been intentionally using each headphone during each listening session (just to get a sense for how my ears, and brain, are getting used to each headphone) and I personally prefer the presentation of the Utopia. In fact, I've been waiting for the moment where I become skeptical and say, "these aren't worth the money". After nearly 60-75 hours of active listening (after letting them run for 50 hrs of break-in)...The moment simply hasn't arrived.

The music is just more "real" and has no rough edges. I'm not a technical audiophile. I'm someone that appreciates the reproduction of music and I love how the Utopia presents subtle sounds (the breathing of a vocalist, the slight scratch of a musician's finger across a guitar or bass string or the decay of a cymbal) while properly placing the other instruments and tones. 

Just so you can compare to other setups, I'm using a Nordost Heimdall 2 cable to connect the Utopia to one of 2 amps (Moon 430HA or a GSX2). I'm currently using a Directstream DAC fed by the microRendu and Roon.

Would love to hear other impressions as well.

Thanks -D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back