Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jul 28, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #1,291 of 5,632
I liked Tyll's explanation, something along the lines of: going from normal headphones which are like nearfield studio monitors, to the Elears which are like full range floor standing speakers. I'm having a hard time imagining more dynamics than my Hugo TT + HD 800 S, but I'm definitely intrigued.

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #1,292 of 5,632
I liked Tyll's explanation, something along the lines of: going from normal headphones which are like nearfield studio monitors, to the Elears which are like full range floor standing speakers. I'm having a hard time imagining more dynamics than my Hugo TT + HD 800 S, but I'm definitely intrigued.

Sorry but no headphones ever or will be sound like floor standing speakers.

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #1,293 of 5,632
Does the Elear have more bass quantity/potential than the Utopia?

I heard them both at the SF meet but was not able to really judge that in the short time I had. I did note the Elear sounded a bit darker to me, which I liked. 

Also, what type of connectors does the Utopia use for the headphone cable? I know the Elear uses 3.5mm in each ear. 

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #1,294 of 5,632
Another pricy headphone after hifiman he1000,Audeze lcd4.
I guess that there are more coming?
Maybe Sennheiser is hatching something.

Maybe a multiple driver headphone?  I know IEM has such design, why not overear headphone.

There are already multiple driver headphones out in the marketplace. At least two that I can think of sound pretty good to my ears (Cleer DU and SONOROUS VI).

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #1,295 of 5,632

Agreed.  Elear has that fullness of sound, just not projected in front of your face.  They do sound like great near field monitors.

paul

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #1,296 of 5,632
Does the Elear have more bass quantity/potential than the Utopia?

I heard them both at the SF meet but was not able to really judge that in the short time I had. I did note the Elear sounded a bit darker to me, which I liked. 

Also, what type of connectors does the Utopia use for the headphone cable? I know the Elear uses 3.5mm in each ear. 

For bass quantity, more than likely, the Elear would take the spot. For bass quality, the Utopia would take the spot. The Utopia uses the shielded locking LEMO connectors.

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #1,297 of 5,632
For bass quantity, more than likely, the Elear would take the spot. For bass quality, the Utopia would take the spot. The Utopia uses the LEMO connectors.

Thanks. What other headphones use the LEMO connector? Looks like that's primarily and aircraft headset connector. 

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #1,298 of 5,632
Thanks. What other headphones use the LEMO connector? Looks like that's primarily and aircraft headset connector. 

Some AKG's, Lightspeed's, Google is your friend, my friend. :beerchug:

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #1,299 of 5,632

That's not what he said.  He said the difference in dynamics was like going from near field speakers to floor standing speakers.  It's an analogy.

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #1,300 of 5,632

I interpreted that as Tyll talking about the difference in dynamics being like the change from near field monitors to floor standers. Not that the headphones literally sound like floor standers.

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #1,301 of 5,632

That's not what he said.  He said the difference in dynamics was like going from near field speakers to floor standing speakers.  It's an analogy.

I interpreted that as Tyll talking about the difference in dynamics being like the change from near field monitors to floor standers. Not that the headphones literally sound like floor standers.

IE, bigger sound than expected. 

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #1,303 of 5,632
Jul 28, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #1,305 of 5,632
The Elear looks like it's gonna make some serious waves. Looking forward to hearing it.

What I'm confused about is why Tyll hinted the Utopia will be replacing something on the wall of fame... but what can that be? At £4K what exactly is it gonna knock off? Tyll seems to be leaning towards price to performance now more than ever. At 3X the price of the 800S what kind of shake up is this gonna cause?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back