Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jul 30, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #1,396 of 5,632
I have read a number of times, regarding vinyl, its use and see no reason it would be a good thing if "dead". I don't use vinyl, not enough room, but have heard some recently and it still is at the top on the good system. 

From what I have read the Utopia and Elear are for sale from The Source AV. 

The revised 1st batch from The Sourve AV is now scheduled to arrive at LAX on 8/8 with most likely clearing customs in a couple of days. Jason thought if all goes well I should have mine by the 12th. We will see, US Customs is wild card but I know they have been working with the broker to expedite the shipment.

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #1,397 of 5,632
Another listening event is today at The Source AV, those around the Southern California area can listen to all new three Focal offerings and the FLOW series as well.

Looking forward to see those who can make it, today!

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #1,398 of 5,632
Yeah, they'll do pretty much any length or connector type you want. It's all made to order. Everything I've purchased from them has been a custom thing that is "not on the menu". I've had two transactions with them so far and the customer service was five-stars all the way.

I think very highly of the Nordost Heimdall you mentioned as well. It was an A/B test with a tiny 3" Heimdall 3.5mm interconnect that really shocked me into really paying attention to cables in the first place. I'd love to get an extended demo of one of their headphone cables at some point.

OT: mmm....thanks for the feedback re: Dana. I'm a fan of Heimdall 2 (SQ-wise), except for the plastic insulator (extruded FEP) and it is red (not exactly my favorite color).

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #1,399 of 5,632

Mr. jamato8,

I speak as a past member of the trade specializing in vinyl stuff, including VPI, Linn, Koetsu and much more. 

I agree, you don't own vinyl, it's far too much busyness and expense.  

We old Vinyl folks never had the effervescent excitement that stuff like these Focal offerings are creating!  You are welcome to admire the Vinyl system as being competent but I'll contend that you don't admire the $10,000+ it take to purchase a capable record player or the $5,000 cost of a "Fragile" phono cartridge, not to mention the pricy electronics ( $10,000 for an ARC Riaa capable pre-amp ).  All that cost for a "stationary" music system.  

Some of my old Clients own 12,000 Vinyl Records, they are committed to the format.  Consider yourself fortunate to not have started down that path. 

Keep in mind that only a tiny percentage of Vinyl was properly recorded and manufactured:  RR, Sheffield and only a few other examples.  Most vinyl is unlistenable by today's standards, it's mostly archival ( like going to a museum to see old Ford Cars ).  

Vinyl was the best we could get before 1985, we accepted it and built music systems around it.  

The entire world has moved-on and hasn't looked back. 

Digital has enjoyed a "Bon Voyage" and still does!

Tony in Michigan

ps.  interestingly, technology has not presented another new format to replace digital, hmm

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #1,400 of 5,632
1,400 Comments about a product that ( essentially ) doesn't exist, yet!    Does anyone have a production version? 

There seems an abundance of hope based on a few "reviewer's" opinions, perhaps even "strong" opinions, Tyll already has them both on his Wall of Fame!

I'm impressed with the "enthusiasm" of this headphone community!,  all pumped up and excited about some future product offering, you don't see this kind of excitement in 2-Channel  Big Box stuff.   Art Dudley's photos of Audio Research Corp. in Minnesota vs. Head-fi's photos of Schiit show, rather conclusively, that headphone folks are at the Center of the music-reproduction hobby. 

Annnnnnd, it seems, nowhere in any of this last year's postings of all of Head-fi do we find any reference to any preference for Vinyl, vinyl is virtually dead in headphone! ( which is a good thing, in my opinion ) 

The lower priced Focal headphone will hit 115db with Mojo's measly 38Milliwatts, I hope the Utopia is equally efficient.  No need for Lyr 2 power ( or Asgard 2 power ) !  

My congratulations to Focal, looks like a Home-run product roll-out!

Tony in Michigan

Mr. jamato8,

I speak as a past member of the trade specializing in vinyl stuff, including VPI, Linn, Koetsu and much more. 

I agree, you don't own vinyl, it's far too much busyness and expense.  

We old Vinyl folks never had the effervescent excitement that stuff like these Focal offerings are creating!  You are welcome to admire the Vinyl system as being competent but I'll contend that you don't admire the $10,000+ it take to purchase a capable record player or the $5,000 cost of a "Fragile" phono cartridge, not to mention the pricy electronics ( $10,000 for an ARC Riaa capable pre-amp ).  All that cost for a "stationary" music system.  

Some of my old Clients own 12,000 Vinyl Records, they are committed to the format.  Consider yourself fortunate to not have started down that path. 

Keep in mind that only a tiny percentage of Vinyl was properly recorded and manufactured:  RR, Sheffield and only a few other examples.  Most vinyl is unlistenable by today's standards, it's mostly archival ( like going to a museum to see old Ford Cars ).  

Vinyl was the best we could get before 1985, we accepted it and built music systems around it.  

The entire world has moved-on and hasn't looked back. 

Digital has enjoyed a "Bon Voyage" and still does!

Tony in Michigan

ps.  interestingly, technology has not presented another new format to replace digital, hmm

There you go. Vinyl is still the best format, pure analog. Even dCs digital Dac system $125K still cannot compete with a $10K turn table. DCS system is getting close but not close enough yet.

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #1,401 of 5,632
There you go. Vinyl is still the best format, pure analog. Even dCs digital Dac system $125K still cannot compete with a $10K turn table. DCS system is getting close but not close enough yet.

Some of the rega players and DACs are close enough for me. I can't stand true record sound, just not my taste but records were dead by the time I was born. I want the details. My chord Dave is more to my liking.

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #1,402 of 5,632
OT: mmm....thanks for the feedback re: Dana. I'm a fan of Heimdall 2 (SQ-wise), except for the plastic insulator (extruded FEP) and it is red (not exactly my favorite color).

+1 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 30, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #1,405 of 5,632
Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 30, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #1,406 of 5,632
 the Utopia is technically better ... but the Elear has some kind of more romantic sound

So since it looks like you have a Stax SR009, would you say the Utopia is in this sonic family, very resolving but sometimes unforgiving, say in the upper mids/vocals/highs?
Side notes:
I think you used to have the Rudistor RP010B that I have, so maybe this is a match for it...
I am also thinking of my former Sony R10s (bass-light), which also revealed a lot of sonic information, but also revealed digital or any upstream glare to a fault, and sounded best with my Rudistor amp.
Thank you .

Jul 30, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #1,407 of 5,632
The lower priced Focal headphone will hit 115db with Mojo's measly 38Milliwatts, I hope the Utopia is equally efficient.  No need for Lyr 2 power ( or Asgard 2 power ) !  

Not sure where you got your power numbers for the Mojo, but that seems incredibly low. The Mojo is just as powerful as the Hugo, just with less battery life per charge.

Jul 30, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #1,408 of 5,632
So, I have the ETHER Flow on order and also just ordered the Elear. It was initially going to be the Utopia for my Dave, but the Utopia won't arrive in Canada until Dec/Jan. I'll have to slum it with the Elear until then, lol!

I'd be more than happy to do some comparisons between the Flow and Elear after I've had some time with them.

Jul 30, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #1,409 of 5,632
Hi all! Can anyone share his opinion:
1) If Elear suits for EDM (liquid d'n'b, deep/tech-house, plus something like Shpongle)?
2) Can they be used for critical listening/monitoring/flaws revealing in studio?
3) Comparing with DT-1770 and TH-610/900?
Btw i like tight solid punchy bass, decent overall clarity with good instrument separation and smooth-chanting highs w/o sibilants like dt-770 has. I like UE900-style sound. My budget is exactly around 1-1.5k$ so i wonder if there is something better for EDM then Elear on the market right now? TH-900? Or should i wait for DT-1990 to compare?
Thank you in advance!

Jul 30, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #1,410 of 5,632
So, I have the ETHER Flow on order and also just ordered the Elear. It was initially going to be the Utopia for my Dave, but the Utopia won't arrive in Canada until Dec/Jan. I'll have to slum it with the Elear until then, lol!

I'd be more than happy to do some comparisons between the Flow and Elear after I've had some time with them.

Relic,

Would like to hear your impressions of the Mojo/Elear combo, as well. Thinking of these myself, if they can be an upgrade to the HE-6 and be driven straight from Mojo.

Congrats on the Dave...that will have to wait for me (2 kids in college).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back