Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #5,776 of 6,742
It's a shame to say that the Elear was an absolute disaster, driver failure is very prevalent I've seen them as low as 350. those are the returned junk hp's that some audio gear shops still sell. I'm on pair 4, It's really too bad the Focal sound is amazing I'd recommend not buying the Elear sorry but I think they should be discontinued..

Sep 11, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #5,777 of 6,742
It's a shame to say that the Elear was an absolute disaster, driver failure is very prevalent I've seen them as low as 350. those are the returned junk hp's that some audio gear shops still sell. I'm on pair 4, It's really too bad the Focal sound is amazing I'd recommend not buying the Elear sorry but I think they should be discontinued..

Do you have any evidence to provide showing that driver failures are "prevalent" ?

Saying it's a disaster in nonsense because Focal has sold a ton of Elears.

Sep 12, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #5,778 of 6,742
Just got in a brand new Elear from Headphones.com. Haven't listened to them yet but i did unpack them. Great presentation in packaging (other than the weird bubbles on the box wrapping). Will burn them in and give you guys my impressions on them. I got them as a bundle with the hardcase and the Utopia pads.

Sep 19, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #5,780 of 6,742
I auditioned one the other day and fell madly in love the signature/delivery of music through these, saw the current price (~481 USD) and couldn't hold back.
Honestly they’re a screaming deal at that price. I have mine plugged into a Lyr3 and I put Dekoni’s Fenestrated sheepskin pads on- just a great combo

Sep 19, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #5,781 of 6,742
I think they are much better with the sheep skin pads
Honestly they’re a screaming deal at that price. I have mine plugged into a Lyr3 and I put Dekoni’s Fenestrated sheepskin pads on- just a great combo

Sep 20, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #5,783 of 6,742
have not compared the 2 pads but 300$ Canadian for the utopia pads and 100$ Canadian for the dekoni, I figured the dekoni were a great deal. I have listened to the utopias and the pads are very soft, the dekonis out of the box were not as soft but with wear they are very soft now , close to the utopias. not sure about sound wise between the 2

Sep 20, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #5,784 of 6,742
have not compared the 2 pads but 300$ Canadian for the utopia pads and 100$ Canadian for the dekoni, I figured the dekoni were a great deal. I have listened to the utopias and the pads are very soft, the dekonis out of the box were not as soft but with wear they are very soft now , close to the utopias. not sure about sound wise between the 2

Link for Dekoni??? Thanks bub.

Sep 26, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #5,786 of 6,742
20190926_183620 (2).jpg
Elears and Tool, awesome combo:L3000:

Oct 14, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #5,788 of 6,742
Hello Everybody,
I just received my new focal Elar and Schiit Modi 3 / Magni 3 Stack
and i noticed a lack of bass, i don't know if i have to buy a loki for 150$ to tune the sound or it would be best to change to another amp/dac
have you any advice ?
regards

Can you describe what you’re hearing? If you came from really bass heavy headphones, it’s possible you just need to give your brain time to adjust, or perhaps the Elear is not to your taste. From what I remember, Elears have plenty of mid bass, but are a little rolled off on sub-bass. I don’t think changing the amplifier and DAC will do what you want if you’re looking for a lot more sub-bass. The Loki may help if you want another 5 dB or so, but dynamics don’t seem to take eq’d bass like planers do, so if it’s way shy of the mark, you may just add a lot of distortion without getting to the bass you’re looking for.

Oct 15, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #5,789 of 6,742
Thank you for your answer.
To be fair, it's my first headphone, i get it to listen to music at work.
At home i have a nuprime IDA-9 and 2 mono STA-9 with B&W CM6S2 speakers and it sounds like a charm
Elear is great, but when listenning to Killing Strangersfrom Marilyn Manson sub bass are not present

Oct 15, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #5,790 of 6,742
Thank you for your answer.
To be fair, it's my first headphone, i get it to listen to music at work.
At home i have a nuprime IDA-9 and 2 mono STA-9 with B&W CM6S2 speakers and it sounds like a charm
Elear is great, but when listenning to Killing Strangersfrom Marilyn Manson sub bass are not present

I thought I would see what you’re listening to so I fired up my Elex (very similar to Elear) with Killing Strangers. What a cool intro!

The Elex didn’t reach as deep as my Clears or AFC, but it did deliver a very dynamic, visceral performance and more mid bass than the other two which are considered pretty neutral. Definitely not bass light for a headphone but deep sub bass doesn’t make much of an appearance. I used my Loki to dial in about 5-8 dB more sub bass and it worked well up to around 90+ dB (about the loudest I listen) so I guess a Loki is a viable option.

There are a lot of headphones out there that will deliver more and deeper bass and that may be an option too. ZMF has a few slamming headphones (not cheap though) and an Audeze LCD 2 Classic may sound better too, but definitely audition so you’re not spending big money to no benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back