Focal Elear vs Audeze LCD-3 Fazor for bass?
Jul 17, 2017 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mountiecab

New Head-Fier
I am currently looking to add new headphones to the home set-up. I want something that will compliment the Beyerdynamic T1s that I have now. Namely I want a pair of headphones with better base extension and punch than what the T1s have. My taste in music is all over the board but since I'll have the T1s for mid to high vocals ... the new cans will mostly be used for electronic dance, R&B, some rap. Before the Focal's came out I was pretty set on one day adding the LCD-3s, however, I'm now torn between these two. I also tested a pair of LCD-Xs recently that had me seriously questioning a foray into planar magnetic headphones at all. I found the bass extension of the LCD-Xs to be great but these seemed to lack the forwardness or punch of my T1s. I'm not sure if this was due to up-channel equipment, or the recording, or if that's common for the lower impedance LCD-Xs. Looking for opinions between these two as well as any other recommendations users may have based on what I'm looking for.

Current Equipment:

DAC (I switch between):
Nuforce DAC-100 DAC/Preamp
Jolida Tube DAC .. Telefunken Red tubes

AMP:
RSA Raptor ... Mullard welded plate tube

Cans:
Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 1 ... aftermarket Cardas cable

Use to have Grado PS1000s and they were not to my liking at all.

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 5
Maybe add Fostex TH900's to your list for bass cans; I have the TH600's and the Hifiman HE-500's (similar but different) in terms of overall bass slam the TH600 is a little more impressive and the TH900 is supposed to be better still.

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 5
I've exactly these 2 headphones.

Focal Elear with PlusSound 4 wire Litz copper
LCD 3 Fazor with Effect Audio Ares II 8 Wire

If you want bass impact, the Focal Elear hits harder. There is more mid bass and rumble across genres like dance, rap, electronica etc

It has a slight U shape so it can be a bit trebly at times

For the LCD 3, the bass hits hard too but mid bass sounds stronger on the Elears. However, the mids and warmth of the LCD-3 surpasses the Elear

I like Elears for metal,dance, electronica. The LCDs for rock and pop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back