Focal MG / MG Pro / HEDD for Pass HPA1 advice please.
Mar 4, 2023 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ricco275

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All, I’m totally new to this community and fairly new to the the headphone world at least as audiophile.

First of all, please forgive me if my glossary is not well accurate yet, I promise to commit myself to improve :)

Due to new neighbours I had to invest in headphone gear as my Avalon speakers get too loud most of the time!

I have just bought a Pass Labs HPA1 which I love. I am trying it with Amiron home and DT880 600 ohms. The latter can’t be very well driven, depending on the music and source I have often the volume knob all the way up.

I listen to records on my LP12 Akurate with Radikal power supply and Trilogy 906i phono stage.

My DAC is a Merason Frerot. Next week I will replace it with a Oktoresearch dac8 stereo.

Cables: Nordost Frey2 and Heimdall2.

I listen to Rock, blues and jazz.

My impressions of the headphones I own seem to be aligned with the general thoughts around.
Amiron: overall satisfying even if not very realistic.
DT880 600 ohms: analytical and transparent but a bit thin in the upper end.

I am looking for a pair of headphones to deliver a sound as close as possible to speakers.
I would like cans which are neutral and transparent. I don’t mind if they reveal mastering and mixing issues.
Ideally I would like to feel a wide soundstage and good instrument’s isolation.
I have read a very well written and detailed review here of the HPA1 which made me pull the trigger, thank you to the author :)

My short list so far is Focal MG, Focal MG pro and HEDD.

I would love the HEDD but scared of the size and weight. I don’t have the chance to see it and try it in real life but the pictures I saw make me spill cold sweat.
The MG seems to be a well balanced headphone but I’m not so keen on its colour. Unfortunately design matters alot to me.
The MG pro, without listening to it, seems to be my most immediate safe choice. I can’t audition it unfortunately.

Anyone who has experience with the above components?

I hope I can get some advice from you lovely folks.

Thank you so much.

Mar 4, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 4
I would like cans which are neutral and transparent. I don’t mind if they reveal mastering and mixing issues.
Ideally I would like to feel a wide soundstage and good instrument’s isolation.
Welcome to Head Fi. You have some very nice gear already to get you started.

Headphones to investigate

Sennheiser HD800, not a fan of this headphone for rock, very wide and deep stage, quite revealing
ZMF Verite open<wide stage, good bass, not cheap
ZMF Caldera< warm and musical, not cheap
AKG K701/702 < cheapest option very wide and deep stage, I personally don't like it for rock
HifiMan Susvara< very expensive and I'm not sure if your amp is a good match

If getting as close to speakers as possible is your main goal, you may want to look into getting some electrostat headphones

Mar 4, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 4
Welcome to Head Fi. You have some very nice gear already to get you started.

Headphones to investigate

Sennheiser HD800, not a fan of this headphone for rock, very wide and deep stage, quite revealing
ZMF Verite open<wide stage, good bass, not cheap
ZMF Caldera< warm and musical, not cheap
AKG K701/702 < cheapest option very wide and deep stage, I personally don't like it for rock
HifiMan Susvara< very expensive and I'm not sure if your amp is a good match

If getting as close to speakers as possible is your main goal, you may want to look into getting some electrostat headphones
Thanks a lot for your advice and the welcome.

I thought about the HD800 but it seems to be quite tricky to match with the amplifier. I read about the K701 but as you mentioned I am not sure it would convince me with rock music.
Susvara is too expensive and ZMF are headphones I respect a lot but not matching my taste in terms of design. I know sound is the priority but I am very picky with design too.
I forgot to mention my budget is 1800 euros max. And I don't EQ at all.

I am quite tempted by the Focal Clear MG professional, but can't find any good second hand deal for the moment.

Best would be knowing if those are a good match with the Pass Labs HPA1 or what is a good match with it.

Mar 4, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back