Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 28, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #4,216 of 4,503
FWIW: The Stella definitely deserves the best, but a tiny thing like the iFi Go Blu, does it amazingly well according to my experience:smile_phones: I also stumbled over this review, where the Stellia's are mentioned at around 7 min. Don't know his bias though :o2smile:

I love the go blu with Stellia. It's insane how good it sounds even over bluetooth, and makes you realise there is a huge cieling on bluetooth headphones that isn't anywhere near being reached by ANC models. People talk a lot of smack about BT compression, but once you hear a stellia on a go blu you realise it's better than most wired hifi headphones even on BT lol.

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #4,217 of 4,503
I love the go blu with Stellia. It's insane how good it sounds even over bluetooth, and makes you realise there is a huge cieling on bluetooth headphones that isn't anywhere near being reached by ANC models. People talk a lot of smack about BT compression, but once you hear a stellia on a go blu you realise it's better than most wired hifi headphones even on BT lol.
I don’t have an IFI Go Blu but I really loved the sound of Focal Stellia.
It’s probably the best for my tastes and head/fit I’ve ever tried (including ZMF, Audeze, DCA closed backs)

Mar 29, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #4,218 of 4,503
I don’t have an IFI Go Blu but I really loved the sound of Focal Stellia.
It’s probably the best for my tastes and head/fit I’ve ever tried (including ZMF, Audeze, DCA closed backs)
I agree, the Stellia's have great tonality. As a bonus, they are easy to drive. I love them out of my Mojo 2

Mar 29, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #4,220 of 4,503
3 greats combinations with the Stellia…

With FIIO M17 As a Stationary ….Roon Ready

42965DEB-1937-400C-A800-3802E69C7F3A.jpeg

With HUGO2 Connnected 4.4mm balanced
E4B2B965-7F36-497E-94A9-69C07404C5E4.jpeg

and maybe the best for me..RME ADI as a Dac+pre and Burson Soloist 3XP as a HP…
FD042183-CF33-4DA4-ABEF-B876C826F31E.jpeg

i need to try more combinations ..maybe Hugo2+Cayin C9..probably sould be one of the best……

Best Regards

Sisco

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #4,221 of 4,503
3 greats combinations with the Stellia…

With FIIO M17 As a Stationary ….Roon Ready

42965DEB-1937-400C-A800-3802E69C7F3A.jpeg

With HUGO2 Connnected 4.4mm balanced
E4B2B965-7F36-497E-94A9-69C07404C5E4.jpeg

and maybe the best for me..RME ADI as a Dac+pre and Burson Soloist 3XP as a HP…
FD042183-CF33-4DA4-ABEF-B876C826F31E.jpeg

i need to try more combinations ..maybe Hugo2+Cayin C9..probably sould be one of the best……

Best Regards

Sisco
this my combo,xDuoo TA-22 plus Tung-Sol 12au7w tubes now,but for better or different performance will se to Genalex gold lion,Tj full music,Psvane art-s,RFT or RCA

Attachments

• stellia+ ta-22.jpg
    stellia+ ta-22.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 29, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #4,222 of 4,503
this is the best i have heard the Stelia. i find the Ak 270mk2 drives the Stelia guite loud but when i switch to the bryston combo it is the power and control over the bass that shines thru.
20230329_084541.jpg

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #4,223 of 4,503
what is tonality? stellia is neutral sound with bass boosted.
In headphones, the way I think of tonality is the quality of the instrument's tone and the reproduction of the sound and accuracy of the original timbres.

The Stellia's has a warmth to their sound, due to bump in midbass. Normally with midrange bumps the sound becomes congested and the midrange gets murked up. The Stellia's are able to stay clean with no loss of detail or clarity to overall sound even with the extra emphasis in the lower midrange. It's this extra or added warmth in the midrange that gives the Stellia's a nice tonality despite them having beryllium drivers, which can sound naturally bright.

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #4,224 of 4,503
In headphones, the way I think of tonality is the quality of the instrument's tone and the reproduction of the sound and accuracy of the original timbres.

The Stellia's has a warmth to their sound, due to bump in midbass. Normally with midrange bumps the sound becomes congested and the midrange gets murked up. The Stellia's are able to stay clean with no loss of detail or clarity to overall sound even with the extra emphasis in the lower midrange. It's this extra or added warmth in the midrange that gives the Stellia's a nice tonality despite them having beryllium drivers, which can sound naturally bright.
yes,im feel a vbit warmth sound with warm tungsol tubes 12au7 on my xduoo ta-22 dac/amp. so,will see at bright sounding gold lion tubes upgrade. anyway,from stock to tungsol tubes was big step forward to sound quality,details,airy.

https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/

they write stellia is neutral sounding with bass boost. but bass not as cheap bassy headphones where bass takes 50% of sound. stellia bass is silky good. i have audeze lcd-2cb and it is warm sounding and i feel diference vs audeze is very warm nice sounding ,i have hifiman ananda and it is bright sounding. all 3 diference headphones. stellia is warmer sound vs ananda,of course feels it.

how sound is from my beyerdynamic aventho? it is very lovely my headphones. but not as comfy as bigger cans.

Attachments

• Aventho-Wireless.jpg
    Aventho-Wireless.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 31, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #4,225 of 4,503
I had originally received a faulty Stellia the first time I purchased them, but now with my flawlessly working replacement it is hands down THE BEST HEADPHONE I have ever listened to on my system!! I am SO in love with the sound these babies produce, they're surprising me every time with each track I throw at them. The sound is incredibly addicting, I miss it terribly when I'm at work or away from it!

Mar 31, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #4,226 of 4,503
I had originally received a faulty Stellia the first time I purchased them, but now with my flawlessly working replacement it is hands down THE BEST HEADPHONE I have ever listened to on my system!! I am SO in love with the sound these babies produce, they're surprising me every time with each track I throw at them. The sound is incredibly addicting, I miss it terribly when I'm at work or away from it!
not the best,i have stellia and hifiman ananda ,and when alone home i like more soundstage and a bit more details from ananda. for closed back,yep,it is the best.

Mar 31, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #4,227 of 4,503
not the best,i have stellia and hifiman ananda ,and when alone home i like more soundstage and a bit more details from ananda. for closed back,yep,it is the best.
Haven't heard Ananda, but I almost preferred Stellia to my HE1000SE. The HEse has more detail and technicality, but little texture or intimacy. Stellia has a smoothness I've never heard before. The physical texture, timbre, slam... Everything feels like a cushion of air. It's so musical.

Hifiman wins for soundstage etc - It's like a giant concert. But it's more "Accurate sound". While Stellia really competes in other areas, and it's so musical. Personal preference for me was Stellia

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #4,228 of 4,503
Hi all
Two questions…

1) if you’re using Stellia with TT2 have you tried running from the XLR outs, and we’re there any changes (positive OR negative) compared to just using the 6.35mm jacks on the front?

2) Does anyone have any experience running their Stellia from the speaker taps on a power amp? Any changes (positive/negative) to report?

I’m going to experiment because it’s a relatively inexpensive bit of fun to do so. For the second option I’ll run TT2 in amp mode and reduce the output to get a useable range on the volume control of my Pass Labs integrated.

Thanks in advance!
Mick

Apr 2, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #4,229 of 4,503
Hi all
Two questions…

1) if you’re using Stellia with TT2 have you tried running from the XLR outs, and we’re there any changes (positive OR negative) compared to just using the 6.35mm jacks on the front?

2) Does anyone have any experience running their Stellia from the speaker taps on a power amp? Any changes (positive/negative) to report?

I’m going to experiment because it’s a relatively inexpensive bit of fun to do so. For the second option I’ll run TT2 in amp mode and reduce the output to get a useable range on the volume control of my Pass Labs integrated.

Thanks in advance!
Mick
They don't need the power from the TT2's XLR outputs. The Stellia's definitely don't need to be driven from speaker taps. You wouldn't have much volume play from either. I'd be very afraid about blowing the drivers with all the extra current from a power amp. The Stellia's sound good from just about any source. Although, I prefer them from a clean, neutral source like the Mojo 2 or the Hugo 2 I use to own. The regular TT2 headphone outputs is more than enough for the Stellia's in my opinion. I'm curious, like you, to know if anyone has tried either of those sources.

Apr 2, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #4,230 of 4,503
They don't need the power from the TT2's XLR outputs. The Stellia's definitely don't need to be driven from speaker taps. You wouldn't have much volume play from either. I'd be very afraid about blowing the drivers with all the extra current from a power amp. The Stellia's sound good from just about any source. Although, I prefer them from a clean, neutral source like the Mojo 2 or the Hugo 2 I use to own. The regular TT2 headphone outputs is more than enough for the Stellia's in my opinion. I'm curious, like you, to know if anyone has tried either of those sources.
I agree, and I love them from both my Mojo2 and HMS/TT2. Totally happy. I’ve decided to not bother with speaker taps, but I’m keen to try the TT2 XLR outs, but even more so using the XLR preamp outs from my Pass Labs integrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back