Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 18, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #8,672 of 20,747
Hi all,

I’m sure this has been asked before, but I’m looking to buy a pure silver cable for my Utopia. I’m very familiar with Double Helix having owned its cables before, but there is a very long wait time and I’d like to get something sooner.

My need is an auxiliary cable one meter in length for direct connection to the balanced out of my AK240SS. I currently have an OCC copper cable for this application, but I want a high purity silver cable without spending mucho dollars. I’ve read some nice comments about Lavri, but I thought I’d reach out to see if anyone has another recommendation other than DHC or Lavri.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments ...

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #8,673 of 20,747
Hi all,

I’m sure this has been asked before, but I’m looking to buy a pure silver cable for my Utopia. I’m very familiar with Double Helix having owned its cables before, but there is a very long wait time and I’d like to get something sooner.

My need is an auxiliary cable one meter in length for direct connection to the balanced out of my AK240SS. I currently have an OCC copper cable for this application, but I want a high purity silver cable without spending mucho dollars. I’ve read some nice comments about Lavri, but I thought I’d reach out to see if anyone has another recommendation other than DHC or Lavri.

How about Ted from headphonelounge?
Never try with this vendor.
Always DHC.
I may contact Ted to fix my DHC cable and perhaps the left Noble Encore minor microscope soldering because I can't see that detail.

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #8,674 of 20,747
Hi all,

I've been very happy with my silver from Lavri, but I also like my Silver Dragon. I suspect that silver will be a good pairing with the AK DAP. I prefer copper with my Opus#2, but like silver with my Cowon Plenue 2.

Sorry that I can't help more.

BTW, isn't 1m a bit short? I've found 4.5 ft (1.5m) to be optimal for portable use.

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #8,675 of 20,747
How about Ted from headphonelounge?
Never try with this vendor.
Always DHC.
I may contact Ted to fix my DHC cable and perhaps the left Noble Encore minor microscope soldering because I can't see that detail.

My copper cable is from Ted. He doesn’t have silver in stock at this time. Also, his silver cable is SPC, not pure silver.

Yes, I like Peter’s cables having owned four different ones over the years for my previous headphones.

Thank you for your reply.

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #8,676 of 20,747
I've been very happy with my silver from Lavri, but I also like my Silver Dragon. I suspect that silver will be a good pairing with the AK DAP. I prefer copper with my Opus#2, but like silver with my Cowon Plenue 2.

Sorry that I can't help more.

BTW, isn't 1m a bit short? I've found 4.5 ft (1.5m) to be optimal for portable use.

I like to use my 240SS right next to me when I’m lying in bed, so a one meter is plenty long enough.

Are you happy with the build quality on the Lavris? I’m a stickler for attention to detail on my audio gear.

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #8,677 of 20,747
Also, the Focal trade-in deal is back -- Utopia for $3k, Clear for $1.1k

Trade in any branded headphone and get the discount.
Why trade in for 3K when you can get a free QP2R without trade for the same price? :wink:
this offer put the utopia within reach for me. i doubt that i'd own it otherwise. hopefully it will make it more affordable for others who desire it too.

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #8,679 of 20,747
You could order some solid silver or stranded silver hookup wire from a known entity like neotech and build something badass.

Or you can gamble on the stuff from China.

Either way you won’t be waiting 6 months for a cable you can craft yourself.

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #8,681 of 20,747
Agree, but I assume the DAP deal will finish soon -- sounds like there are only a few left. Trade-in deal runs through October.

That is the case. Not a lot of the Utopia/QP2R bundles left to buy. But it is a authorized factory deal at a very sweet price while they last.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 19, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #8,682 of 20,747
What amp should I pair with the utopia? I'll be using the holospring dac with it. Also what balanced cable should I get? Black dragon.

The Liquid Glass and Crimson pair extremely well with the Utopia. Some of the best amps I've heard, bar none.

Sep 19, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #8,683 of 20,747
The Liquid Glass and Crimson pair extremely well with the Utopia. Some of the best amps I've heard, bar none.

If only they were still made :frowning2:

Sep 19, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #8,684 of 20,747
My copper cable is from Ted. He doesn’t have silver in stock at this time. Also, his silver cable is SPC, not pure silver.

Yes, I like Peter’s cables having owned four different ones over the years for my previous headphones.

Thank you for your reply.

I've just ordered a T2 OCC silver litz from Ted (with a bunch a adaptors). He built my order in one week. What I've bought is described as OCC silver, not SPC.

Sep 19, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #8,685 of 20,747
I've just ordered a T2 OCC silver litz from Ted (with a bunch a adaptors). He built my order in one week. What I've bought is described as OCC silver, not SPC.

Thank you for your reply. I must have misunderstood what Ted told me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back