Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 31, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #13,936 of 20,644
I can pick either 4pin xlr or a 1/4 plug stock cable for the utopia. Both the older version with rubber sleeve.

I'm actually mostly going to be using the Utopia out of an ares audio twilight silver cable, terminated to 4.4mm.

Which of the stock cables should I pick to keep?

I'm thinking 4pin xlr because if I ever get a desktop amp that will be definitely the preferred termination?

Let me know if you think otherwise...

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #13,937 of 20,644
Thanks man. You saved me 3k. Since i looked up what beryllium is i can't listen with the Utopias anymore. I'll give them back for a little loss.

I hope you are kidding. Beryllium is toxic when inhaled as a dust. It doesn't make you sick by simply having it in the same room with you or an inch from your eardrum. It is not radioactive nor does it slough off toxic particles when in use.

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #13,938 of 20,644
I hope you are kidding. Beryllium is toxic when inhaled as a dust. It doesn't make you sick by simply having it in the same room with you or an inch from your eardrum. It is not radioactive nor does it slough off toxic particles when in use.
No i'm not. I know that it's said to be only toxic when it's inhaled. But who can guarantee me that when stressed extremly long term with different music frequencys and bass vibrations there won't be 0,000001% of that solid Beryllium dissolving.

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #13,939 of 20,644
No i'm not. I know that it's said to be only toxic when it's inhaled. But who can guarantee me that when stressed extremly long term with different music frequencys and bass vibrations there won't be 0,000001% of that solid Beryllium dissolving.

Lol

I'll offer $300 to take these ticking time bombs off your hands.

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #13,940 of 20,644
400!

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #13,941 of 20,644

You’re going to have to get rid of a lot more than the Utopias if you’re purging Be from your house.

It’s in a significant amount of your existing electronics. In the United States, consumer electronics and telecommunications applications account for nearly half of all beryllium consumption and can be found in cable and high-definition televisions, electrical contacts, and connectors in cell phones and computers, computer chip heat sinks, underwater fiber optic cables, sockets, thermostats, and bellows.

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #13,942 of 20,644
You’re going to have to get rid of a lot more than the Utopia’s if you’re purging Be from your house.

It’s in a significant amount of your existing electronics. In the United States, consumer electronics and telecommunications applications account for nearly half of all beryllium consumption and can be found in cable and high-definition televisions, electrical contacts, and connectors in cell phones and computers, computer chip heat sinks, underwater fiber optic cables, sockets, thermostats, and bellows.

🤫🤫🤫

Edit: I believe I am the high bidder and the ridder of the Utopia with its be.

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #13,943 of 20,644
Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #13,944 of 20,644
Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #13,945 of 20,644
For any interested people, brand new Utopia purchased in Australia Dec 2020 with 8-10 hours daily use in a professional studio environment crapped out today. Right driver drops out and distortion on medium level volume mostly on bass. I will let you know how the warranty pans out here in OZ (5 years as email says from A2A). Never had a problem using HD800's daily for 10 years on all 3 pairs I own so I am not happy to say the least.

Does anyone think it could be just the cable? I've attached/reattached no difference. I am in disbelief that these have failed so laughably considering everything mixed is kept -7db so nothing ever clips through a Neve RNHP or Prism Orpheus converters. I have read many articles regrading driver failure but its still happening. Because I use these daily I'm not so sure the next pair or these after repair will be reliable. Have emailed Busisoft the Focal supplier here.

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #13,946 of 20,644
https://materion.com/-/media/files/electrofusion/a_truextent_info/ttb002_tuningforks.pdf
beryllium tuning forks are actually a thing. there is a film clip on the interwebs of nicolas debard of focal striking a beryllium tuning fork against a hard surface to demonstrate its acoustic properties. he wasn't wearing a hazmat suit or even a mask!
Like i said i care about long term effect. Saying he does it so it must be safe makes no sense. The first teams who investigated Tschernobyl after the nuke also didn't wear hazmat suits or masks.

I agree that in theory solid Beryllium shouldn't be dangerous but i don't feel like there's enough experience to 100% asure it. Also theory and real life are not always the same. In theory cables also make no difference however i regulary see people here buying multi thousand $ cables for their Utopias. This is somehow accepted as normal while saying i feel uncomfortable having Beryllium directly at my face seems to be ridiculous. Personally i can't relate to that.

I don't say it's 100% dangerous but even the slightest possibilty that it could be makes it enough for me to don't enjoy it as much that i could justify spending 4 grand on it to get the 5-10% sound improvement over a HD600.

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #13,948 of 20,644
Like i said i care about long term effect. Saying he does it so it must be safe makes no sense. The first teams who investigated Tschernobyl after the nuke also didn't wear hazmat suits or masks.

I agree that in theory solid Beryllium shouldn't be dangerous but i don't feel like there's enough experience to 100% asure it. Also theory and real life are not always the same. In theory cables also make no difference however i regulary see people here buying multi thousand $ cables for their Utopias. This is somehow accepted as normal while saying i feel uncomfortable having Beryllium directly at my face seems to be ridiculous. Personally i can't relate to that.

I don't say it's 100% dangerous but even the slightest possibilty that it could be makes it enough for me to don't enjoy it as much that i could justify spending 4 grand on it to get the 5-10% sound improvement over a HD600.

So is that a no to my $300 offer?

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #13,949 of 20,644

5-10% sound improvement over a HD600? Buddy, you are using the wrong amp/dac.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #13,950 of 20,644
5-10% sound improvement over a HD600? Buddy, you are using the wrong amp/dac.
I know right? I have an HD800S which I paired with an HDV 820 and the Utopia is just on another level with the same amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back