Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 6, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #20,356 of 20,644
well you don't need a bat hearing for that. There are plenty of software solutions that measures dynamic range of the track or you can use DB website as well:
https://dr.loudness-war.info

For some diaphragm weight/material and how fast it can be moved doesn't have any impact to the sound and that's ok, but it doesn't mean there isn't any audible differences.
i'm not sure what dynamic range has to do with claiming to be able to perceive differences in headphone driver speeds and with respect, that is all you are doing here - making an unproven claim. i suggest that you take this topic to the sound science forum if you wish to discuss it further.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #20,357 of 20,644
i'm not sure what dynamic range has to do with claiming to be able to perceive differences in headphone driver speeds and with respect, that is all you are doing here - making an unproven claim. i suggest that you take this topic to the sound science forum if you wish to discuss it further.

Why so sensitive ? Higher dynamic range in the song makes it easier to perceive difference between louder/quieter passages. Headphone with good dynamics will be better at handling these parts thus making the song more exciting/faster sounding. Other folks may relate to the sound being snappier and etc...Dynamics in headphones highly depends on properties and design of transducer.

Mar 6, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #20,358 of 20,644
Why so sensitive ? Higher dynamic range in the song makes it easier to perceive difference between louder/quieter passages. Headphone with good dynamics will be better at handling these parts thus making the song more exciting/faster sounding. Other folks may relate to the sound being snappier and etc...Dynamics in headphones highly depends on properties and design of transducer.
you are mistaken. it's not that i am touchy about having this exchange with you, i simply have no interest in participating in it. plus you have somehow conflated dynamic range in musical recordings and how well a headphone reproduces it, with the possibility (however remote that may be) that a human can discern differences in the speed of headphone drivers. not only is it a leap of logic but it is also off-topic imo. so again, if you want to pursue this topic of discussion, then sound science is the appropriate forum for it. otherwise please leave me out of it.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #20,359 of 20,644
you are mistaken. it's not that i am touchy about having this exchange with you, i simply have no interest in participating in it. plus you have somehow conflated dynamic range in musical recordings and how well a headphone reproduces it, with the possibility (however remote that may be) that a human can discern differences in the speed of headphone drivers. not only is it a leap of logic but it is also off-topic imo. so again, if you want to pursue this topic of discussion, then sound science is the appropriate forum for it. otherwise please leave me out of it.
Correct with direct meaning speed can be perceived in cars not headphones. Fortunately headphones always stays on head :)

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #20,360 of 20,644
No doubt that there are headphones which out-resolves Utopia today. Planars in general sound different to me as they do staging in their own why which i prefer more as well. The other good trait of TOTL planars is how they reproduce sub-bass which doesn't distort and is more tighter of what dynamics can achieve. I haven't heard Susvara, but HE1000s v2, Arya did not came close to Utopia. Just too soft sounding for my tastes. D8000pro on the other hand many things slightly better than Utopia, except stage depth and dynamics

You need a certain music with high dynamic range to hear it. There are some electronic which I adore and classical music that highlights the differences, but most of popular genres with acoustic, pop,rnb won't cut it.
Youtube compresses a bit, but still good for ref point. Both of these tracks are intense experience with OG Utopia. I'm nearly sure that e-stats would do it, but scared to dip my toes there.

or my go to in electronic sphere:

Agreed. While I've HEARD Susvara, LCD-5, etc, I haven't spent quite enough time with them to be 100% confident in my opinion, but with that as a disclaimer, I would still say I have yet to hear ANY headphone that I am confident out-resolves Utopia. I own and love Caldera, and while I would place it in the same league as Utopia, it does not out-resolve it. Arya was nowhere close. HEK & Susvara would have to be magnitudes better than Arya to eclipse Utopia. Electrostats maybe?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #20,361 of 20,644
susvara, abyss 1266, raal and estats will out resolve utopia although not by much ..although my raal might be the outlier and outresolve by a fair bit imho

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #20,362 of 20,644
Having owned the hekse and utopias i consider those to be similar in resolving ability. But somewhat different in their sound.
Two points: utopias have a fuller sound. Hekse have great precision and are very easy to drive. Imho
i enjoyed both.

susvaras can be magical and VERY transparent with appropriate gear and hence “better” than the hekse and utopia for my preferences.

and then we have to consider personal preferences (and gear)

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:09 AM Post #20,363 of 20,644
I really like stock Utopia 2022 cable on Utopia 2020. It's just warm enough with great dynamics, smoothness, transparency and balance. The subbass doesn't quite match 2022 but it's definitely sufficient. I don't think the stock 2020 cable is up to the same standard.
Nice . thanks for verify what I thought too. Been using 22’s stock cable on OG utopia too.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #20,364 of 20,644
susvara, abyss 1266, raal and estats will out resolve utopia although not by much ..although my raal might be the outlier and outresolve by a fair bit imho

If Susvaras goes the same route as Arya/HE1000v2 then it should be a great companion for Utopia. Unfortunately I can't get a hold to listen to Susvaras...

I remember that I did not enjoy neither Ananda or Arya, but He1000v2 was better just at that time I was seeking for more exciting sound.

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #20,365 of 20,644
If Susvaras goes the same route as Arya/HE1000v2 then it should be a great companion for Utopia. Unfortunately I can't get a hold to listen to Susvaras...

I remember that I did not enjoy neither Ananda or Arya, but He1000v2 was better just at that time I was seeking for more exciting sound.
Arya is neutral-bright; Susvara is neutral-neutral - the neutralest of all the neutrals. I just in the past few days added Susvara to my arsenal, still evaluating and comparing, but first impressions would suggest that Utopia has the edge in dynamics and midrange forwardness, but Susvara may be the last(ish) word in "realism".

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #20,366 of 20,644
[DELETED]

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #20,367 of 20,644
So, it’s early yet, and thus I retain the right to change my mind with more time to analyze & consider, but initial impression is that Susvara is magnificent on 8/10 on Stellaris (2A3 tubes). On 10/10 it’s deafening. Need more time to consider the dynamics, speed, timbre, etc. of Sus on solid state vs tubes, but initial impression is that Stellaris drives it “competently” at worst.

You're talking about a system (Susvara+DNA Stellaris) that's hitting close to $15k. You don't need that kind of muscle for the Utopias to shine.

It's a cool comparison, and the Utopia will bring out the best in pretty much anything. But, ultimately comparing a flagship power hungry planar to a relatively efficient open back dynamic is nothing more than academic exercise. IMO

Mar 15, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #20,369 of 20,644
You're talking about a system (Susvara+DNA Stellaris) that's hitting close to $15k. You don't need that kind of muscle for the Utopias to shine.

It's a cool comparison, and the Utopia will bring out the best in pretty much anything. But, ultimately comparing a flagship power hungry planar to a relatively efficient open back dynamic is nothing more than academic exercise. IMO
Sorry, I didn't mean to go off topic; I posted that in the wrong thread and you read & responded to it before I realized my error and deleted it.

That said, Utopia "shines" on DNA Stellaris like nothing else. They are a case study in synergy.

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #20,370 of 20,644
Most of my amps are on the warmer leaning side, I'm looking for something that brings the resolving nature of the Utopias to its fullest extent.

What are some recommendations of a budget 1-2K? I'm thinking a hugo 2 may be the move

Users who are viewing this thread

Back