For any given budget.... dynamic or planar magnetic headphone?
Jul 23, 2021 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

wagninger

Member of the Trade: Level Audio (Italy)
I was wondering, for any given budget - let´s say around 500, 1000 and 1500 bucks, would you get a dynamic headphone or planar magnetic, and why?

I have the impression that planar magnetic has a higher ceiling in terms of price, maybe also sonic quality.
But at the same price points, which technology is usually the better one?

And is this even a valid question or am I basing it on wrong assumptions?

Cheers,
Andy

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 33
I have been trying to answer that question myself. I think it depends on what you prioritize as important. I think it's good to own both if you can because they present sound differently. For me, I love the natural timbre of dynamic driver headphones. So, I tend to prefer them. But, if that is not your number 1 criteria, then it could be that planars are technically superior for the price. Resolution, detail and separation of planars are fantastic. Timbre and bass impact are great with dynamic drivers.

Here are the headphones I own that I base this observation on:

Dynamic driver:
Focal Utopia
ZMF Verite Closed
Senn HD800S/ HD650 / HD600

Planar
Hifiman Arya
Hifiman Ananda

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 33
I have been trying to answer that question myself. I think it depends on what you prioritize as important. I think it's good to own both if you can because they present sound differently. For me, I love the natural timbre of dynamic driver headphones. So, I tend to prefer them. But, if that is not your number 1 criteria, then it could be that planars are technically superior for the price. Resolution, detail and separation of planars are fantastic.
Thanks for the reply - it was forever ago that I could listen to an elecrostatic headphone, I imagine they are similar to planars in terms of the speed. I found the precision and tightness so amazing, but it was way over my budget at the time.

Am wondering now if it makes sense to have a good open dynamic headphone, a good closed one and a planar one, all around the same price...

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #4 of 33
Am wondering now if it makes sense to have a good open dynamic headphone, a good closed one and a planar one, all around the same price...
Absolutely. This is almost exactly what I am doing.

Focal Utopia, ZMF Verite Closed, HD800S, Hifiman Ayra for me are my best 4 headphones that I plan to rotate.

The reason why I keep the HD800S is because I love them with Classical Music and Jazz. The soundstage, timbre, comfort and resolution are perfect for these genre.

I am currently trying to figure out which of the Hifiman headphones is the best to keep. I currently own Ananda and Ayra. I have an HE1000SE coming. I will keep one of thsese 3 to be a permanent part of the above collection.

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 33

Focal Utopia, ZMF Verite Closed, HD800S, Hifiman Ayra for me are my best 4 headphones that I plan to rotate.

The reason why I keep the HD800S is because I love them with Classical Music and Jazz. The soundstage, timbre, comfort and resolution are perfect for these genre.

I am currently trying to figure out which of the Hifiman headphones is the best to keep. I currently own Ananda and Ayra. I have an HE1000SE coming. I will keep one of thsese 3 to be a permanent part of the above collection.
Oh wow. I am a bit below that type of budget - managed to snatch a HD800S for "cheap", got a Focal Celeste and am now debating something like an Arya or LCD-X

Jul 23, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 33

Do you think the Arya's technical improvements justify the price jump over the Ananda? I know that's a pretty hot-button question, but figured I'd ask someone who actually has both in the stable simultaneously.

What's always bugged me with the cans game is amp synergy; what a maddening process. I got my Monolith THX 788 thinking a "gain with wire" was going to play nice with everything, but the more gear I put on it, the more I'm finding out that's not the case. Perhaps the second half of this question should include a caveat about source gear/amplification. IMO, it makes a pretty big difference, especially with planars.

Jul 23, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #7 of 33
Oh wow. I am a bit below that type of budget - managed to snatch a HD800S for "cheap", got a Focal Celeste and am now debating something like an Arya or LCD-X
I think you are on the right track with great choices, too. I just got the Ayra 3 days ago and it is fantastic. Less overlap with HD800S than I thought. More complimentary as it can be a nice all arounder. I think people sometimes compare them because it has big sound stage and great resolution. But, it's superior bass makes it more appropriate for any genre of music.

Jul 23, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 33
Do you think the Arya's technical improvements justify the price jump over the Ananda? I know that's a pretty hot-button question, but figured I'd ask someone who actually has both in the stable simultaneously.

What's always bugged me with the cans game is amp synergy; what a maddening process. I got my Monolith THX 788 thinking a "gain with wire" was going to play nice with everything, but the more gear I put on it, the more I'm finding out that's not the case. Perhaps the second half of this question should include a caveat about source gear/amplification. IMO, it makes a pretty big difference, especially with planars.
To my ear, the answer is yes. I wasn't sure until I got the Arya. The detail, resolution and timbre are far superior with the Arya. I thought that the Ananda would have a tonality advantage, but it doesn't. I started A/B testing them this week and now, I've decided I am going to sell the Ananda.

Price performance is a different question. It's more than double the cost. The Ananda are clearly the better value. But, the Arya is a lot better at everything.

For me, the question is similar to the Focal Clear vs. the Focal Utopia. I loved the Clear, but when I got the Utopia, it was just a small step up overall. But, in the case of the Clear, the bass is better than the Utopia. But, the resolution and the highs are a lot better with the Utopia So, in my mind, it makes more sense to keep both Clear and Utopia, but the signatures are common enough that I decided to get rid of the Clears.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 33
To my ear, the answer is yes. I wasn't sure until I got the Arya. The detail, resolution and timbre are far superior with the Arya. I thought that the Ananda would have a tonality advantage, but it doesn't. I started A/B testing them this week and now, I've decided I am going to sell the Ananda.

Price performance is a different question. It's more than double the cost. The Ananda are clearly the better value. But, the Arya is a lot better at everything.

For me, the question is similar to the Focal Clear vs. the Focal Utopia. I loved the Clear, but when I got the Utopia, it was just a small step up overall. But, in the case of the Clear, the bass is better than the Utopia. But, the resolution and the highs are a lot better with the Utopia So, in my mind, it makes more sense to keep both Clear and Utopia, but the signatures are common enough that I decided to get rid of the Clears.
Even with their car audio division, Focal's been a little weird with the whole ROI thing. Used to love their Polyglass stuff and wasn't really a fan of the Beryllium line. Sounds like it's a somewhat similar ethos in the head-fi division as well. Can imagine those Utopia are indispensable in the studio.

Thank you for the feedback on the Arya; basically exactly what I was hoping to hear. The distortion plots on that Ananda (found them on ASR) looked a bit rough and I've already been bit by Hifiman in the early days with that 3.5mm revision on the HE-400i, though luckily I never had a broken yoke (count my blessings). Sounds like it's genuinely worth it to save up for the Arya instead. Thanks!

Jul 23, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 33
I think you are on the right track with great choices, too. I just got the Ayra 3 days ago and it is fantastic. Less overlap with HD800S than I thought. More complimentary as it can be a nice all arounder. I think people sometimes compare them because it has big sound stage and great resolution. But, it's superior bass makes it more appropriate for any genre of music.
Will be able to listen to the Arya and LCD-X soon... that store also has a Focal Utopia, but I´m scared... how good is it?

Jul 23, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 33
I have been trying to answer that question myself. I think it depends on what you prioritize as important. I think it's good to own both if you can because they present sound differently. For me, I love the natural timbre of dynamic driver headphones. So, I tend to prefer them. But, if that is not your number 1 criteria, then it could be that planars are technically superior for the price. Resolution, detail and separation of planars are fantastic. Timbre and bass impact are great with dynamic drivers.

Here are the headphones I own that I base this observation on:

Dynamic driver:
Focal Utopia
ZMF Verite Closed
Senn HD800S/ HD650 / HD600

Planar
Hifiman Arya
Hifiman Ananda
One thing I don’t like is no mention of the amp. Sorry but done here.

Jul 24, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #12 of 33
Indeed.
It's very important to mention the amps used for the specific headphone.
There could be a large difference. :)

Jul 24, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #13 of 33
Indeed.
It's very important to mention the amps used for the specific headphone.
There could be a large difference. :)
I disagree. I think you can convey general information and if people want to know specifics, then we can discuss it in more detail. If you want to know specifics, then ask a question and I would be delighted to advance the discussion.

I can say that the HD800S has the biggest sound stage of the headphones I own without describing all of the AMPs I tested it with. It's a general concept that is true across most if not all amps.

Jul 24, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #14 of 33
You'd need to disclose a sound preference to target as well as clarify if the budget has allowance for further costs per amplification scalability. If not, I might recommend a quick STAX tangent and a competent HD600/650.

Jul 24, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #15 of 33
Ok so maybe we take this back to the original post and ask, at $500, does it make more sense to go with something like the HD600/650 or Sundara? Assume it's someone's first foray into something of this technical level, meaning they probably have a decent amp, though probably not one that would have an advantage in current drive or fancy DSP if that's your thing. Do you say go dynamic or planar? Kinda touches on a broader concept.

I think the question is valid. Not sure why we took the tangent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back