For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Feb 21, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #17,793 of 21,026
QB79tiN.png

Qobuz/Roon - Gold Note DS-10 Plus / Gold Note PSU-10 Evo - Feliks Echo mkII - Arya Stealth with Forza AudioWorks Claire HPC mkII

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #17,794 of 21,026
So I started my session out today pretty stoked to get to try out a pair of Campfire Audio Trifectas. I had read some pretty glowing reviews and thought they sounded like a pretty unique IEM so when the opportunity came up for me to borrow a pair in exchange for letting a friend in the hobby borrow one of mine, I jumped at the chance. Unfortunately, the stock tuning on these things might be the worst I have ever heard in a flagship IEM in this price range. Yes it has a big stage and semi-holographic presentation, but it also has significant holes and peaks that leave it sounding incomplete, incoherent, or both depending on the track. Normally when I listen to gear getting high praise at this level I can hear why people would like it regardless of whether or not I do, but I am absolutely baffled as to why these are well liked by a segment of the hobby.

After that several hours long disappointment, I needed something truly fun and enjoyable to listen to so I threw my Oriolus Szalayis on and plugged into the Cayin N8ii. The Szalayis are a pair of IEMs that never fail to bring a smile to my face and immerse me in the music. They're just so dynamic! 😎

At the top of my queue is The Mantra Discord 's 2022 album, Relapse Into Silence. If you're into well played instrumental prog/prog-metal, then this album is a must listen, IMO.

a1074395407_65.jpeg

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #17,795 of 21,026
So I started my session out today pretty stoked to get to try out a pair of Campfire Audio Trifectas. I had read some pretty glowing reviews and thought they sounded like a pretty unique IEM so when the opportunity came up for me to borrow a pair in exchange for letting a friend in the hobby borrow one of mine, I jumped at the chance. Unfortunately, the stock tuning on these things might be the worst I have ever heard in a flagship IEM in this price range. Yes it has a big stage and semi-holographic presentation, but it also has significant holes and peaks that leave it sounding incomplete, incoherent, or both depending on the track. Normally when I listen to gear getting high praise at this level I can hear why people would like it regardless of whether or not I do, but I am absolutely baffled as to why these are well liked by a segment of the hobby.

After that several hours long disappointment, I needed something truly fun and enjoyable to listen to so I threw my Oriolus Szalayis on and plugged into the Cayin N8ii. The Szalayis are a pair of IEMs that never fail to bring a smile to my face and immerse me in the music. They're just so dynamic! 😎

At the top of my queue is The Mantra Discord 's 2022 album, Relapse Into Silence. If you're into well played instrumental prog/prog-metal, then this album is a must listen, IMO.

fellow Sza enjoyer, and we have similar music tastes too haha! Gonna check this album out.

Feb 21, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #17,796 of 21,026
fellow Sza enjoyer, and we have similar music tastes too haha! Gonna check this album out.

Hell yeah! I basically took a shot in the dark on the Szalayis after trying the OG TRI i3s and searching for more planar based hybrids to try and I have been nothing but happy with them since day one. I'm kind of amazed that more people don't talk about them. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: To keep this topical, I'm still on the Szalayis and N8ii combo and now I'm listening to an album released last summer: Excuse Me While I Vanish by William the Conqueror. Just a laid back bluesy indie album with catchy lyrics and solid, simple production.

a0298752089_10.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #17,797 of 21,026
Denon AH-D5000 . . . <--Hagerman Audio Labs Tuba|2x Russian 6N14N . . . <--Mojo Audio Mystique Gen.1 . . . <--Lenovo G50|Apple Music:

1708565670020.png
IMG_20240221_202909020_HDR.jpg
[EMI Records Ltd. 2008. Currently queued: "Dulcis Jesu, Patris Imago", a20 C128 (G. Gabrieli, 1554-1612), Taverner Consort/Players, Andrew Parrott]

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #17,800 of 21,026
Once again, I'm pulling vampire hours so I've got to start winding down before the sun comes up. That makes this a perfect time to show my ZMF Verite Closed some love. I'll be running them off the Schiit Lyr (70s Reflektor 6n23p tubes) with the Modi Multibit 2 decoding the optical output from a Wiim Mini.

Up next in the queue is a perfect album for closing your eyes and letting your mind wander: Apocalyptica's Live in Helsinki Saint John's Church. Since this was released in November I have listened to it a handful of times on various transducers. I have to say, they got incredible sound quality for this being recorded live in a large church setting with high ceilings and a lot of reverberation and reflection to deal with. I think it's amazing what we can do with live sound recordings these days and as a guy who loves a good live album, I'm totally diggin' it. The VCs make cellos (and pretty much all strings really) sound so luscious without being excessively warm so they're really the perfect pair of closed backs to listen to this with. I highly recommend both the album and the VCs. 😉😎

91+jeCFMxlL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Feb 22, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #17,801 of 21,026
Once again, I'm pulling vampire hours so I've got to start winding down before the sun comes up. That makes this a perfect time to show my ZMF Verite Closed some love. I'll be running them off the Schiit Lyr (70s Reflektor 6n23p tubes) with the Modi Multibit 2 decoding the optical output from a Wiim Mini.

Up next in the queue is a perfect album for closing your eyes and letting your mind wander: Apocalyptica's Live in Helsinki Saint John's Church. Since this was released in November I have listened to it a handful of times on various transducers. I have to say, they got incredible sound quality for this being recorded live in a large church setting with high ceilings and a lot of reverberation and reflection to deal with. I think it's amazing what we can do with live sound recordings these days and as a guy who loves a good live album, I'm totally diggin' it. The VCs make cellos (and pretty much all strings really) sound so luscious without being excessively warm so they're really the perfect pair of closed backs to listen to this with. I highly recommend both the album and the VCs. 😉😎

91+jeCFMxlL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
You got your own tour bus or do you have a separate trailer for all the headphones, amps and DACs? :stuck_out_tongue:

Feb 22, 2024 at 1:58 AM Post #17,802 of 21,026
Amazon Music Unlimited >> SMSL SU9 >> SMSL SH9 >> Denon AH-D7200

playinghouse.jpg

Playing House (2021) by Meer - They are a Norwegian band that sound different enough to be rather interesting. According to the band, they play a blend of orchestral pop, classical and prog-rock and with both male and female vocalists (both excellent) they make a rather impressive noise. To get this sound they include both a violin and viola player which adds to the more delicate side of their music. I really should have changed over to the Grado RS-1x for this but the Denons are doing such a good job I let them have even more head time. :darthsmile:

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:10 AM Post #17,803 of 21,026
You got your own tour bus or do you have a separate trailer for all the headphones, amps and DACs? :stuck_out_tongue:

I'm working on having my own bus lol! Currently my bassist and I are in one and our guitarist and singer are in the other. And for the headphones/gear I have a separate truck and a cargo hold! 😜

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #17,804 of 21,026
Roon/Qobuz => Yggy+ GS2 => V222 => RS1x (Loads) - Great way to wake up and sip my coffee....

1708603623745.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back