For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Mar 6, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #18,271 of 21,160
Fiio X1 -> Fiio JH3

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #18,273 of 21,160
Relisten
The Hoteliers - Home, Like Noplace There Is
Szalayi / RU7 / iPhone 15 PM / Qobuz
IMG_6799.jpeg

sometimes you just need some emo music to finish out the day. Your Deep Rest is such a friggin good song man.

Rating -
⭐⭐⭐⭐

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #18,275 of 21,160
We'll accept you as a member in training! Say it out loud now, "GET OFF MY GRASS". If you do it convincingly you are a natural old soul!

Leo

Can I add my own twist like, "GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU LITTLE PUNKS," or something similar? Maybe substitute in bastards...🤔

To keep things topical, I've got some IEMs at the desk today because the wife has several of her workmates over and they're working on a project that's apparently very funny. I retreated to my music room and plugged the Noble Audio Viking Ragnars into a Schiit Magnius with a Soekris 2541 DAC decoding the coax out from a Wiim Pro.

On deck in the queue is my second favorite Spock's Beard album, Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep (released 2013). SB are the quintessential neo-prog band. They have the quirky themes, archetypal songwriting and style, precision musicianship, and a great band name. If I had to pick an album to have someone listen to so that they'd know what neo-prog sounds like, I couldn't go wrong with any of their albums. And that's not to say they sound like everyone else. What I mean is that they take all those elements and excel at them. 🤘😎

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #18,276 of 21,160
Qobuz=>Yggy GS2 => V222 => GS3000x

@JAnonymous5150 Thanks for yesterday's tip about 1001 albums you must hear before you die. I have my account and today's album is quite enjoyable.

1709765804867.png

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #18,277 of 21,160
Qobuz=>Yggy GS2 => V222 => GS3000x

@JAnonymous5150 Thanks for yesterday's tip about 1001 albums you must hear before you die. I have my account and today's album is quite enjoyable.

1709765804867.png

Hey, you and I got the same album today! No joke, I just posted about listening to Murmur as my daily album earlier. Kinda crazy when you think about the fact that it's assigning them randomly from a list of 1001 albums.

And you're welcome for the rec. I'm stoked to see some of the regulars on this thread giving it a shot. So far I've found it pretty fun and it has been interesting to see what they've put on the list. I've been having a cool little walk down memory lane, that's for sure. 👍😎

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #18,278 of 21,160

damn last night i had a weird dream of me owning a pair of focal Clear MG's. and i was thinking that i never had such a great experience with music before.

do you have such dreams?
i am really happy still with my 109 pro but the clear just looks so damn good too. and i really don't have the money to put my 109 pro back in to its case.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #18,279 of 21,160

damn last night i had a weird dream of me owning a pair of focal Clear MG's. and i was thinking that i never had such a great experience with music before.

do you have such dreams?
i am really happy still with my 109 pro but the clear just looks so damn good too. and i really don't have the money to put my 109 pro back in to its case.

For me the differences between the Clear and 109 weren't enough to keep both. Given I already had the Clear for sometime, and the 109's were within the return window, I sent the 109's back. YMMV for sure!

Leo

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #18,280 of 21,160
For me the differences between the Clear and 109 weren't enough to keep both. Given I already had the Clear for sometime, and the 109's were within the return window, I sent the 109's back. YMMV for sure!

Leo
why didn't you sell the clears for some extra money then?

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #18,281 of 21,160

do you have such dreams?

TBH, I prefer the Elex to either version of the Clears though I know plenty of folks on both sides of that particular opinion. Either way, what people say about Focals being some of the most dynamic headphones out there is definitely true. I only tried the 109 Pros briefly, but they sounded like a very good pair of headphones to me so the Clears would give you a different presentation for your music, but it's not like the 109 Pros are bad so you're missing out or anything. Also, keep your eye on the used market. You can find the Elex and both versions of the Clears for pretty reasonable prices in nice shape these days. 👍

I switched IEMs to the Oriolus Szalayis because I just can't get enough of their low end presentation. Still running them off the Magnius/Soekris 2541/Wiim Pro signal chain.

At the top of the queue is an oft overlooked gem from from 2004: Volition by Frequency Fall. These guys sound like some kind of alternative rock/neo-prog hybrid and I absolutely dig it. FF put out their last album in 2009 and then went on hiatus which we can only assume turned into a permanent break-up. It was their second hiatus after they came back from a short one from 2006 to 2008 so their fans held out hope for quite some time that they'd be back, but alas. Regardless, they left the world with three solid albums and they're all worth a spin, IMO, regularly worming their way into my various queues. 🤘😎

486x486bb.png

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #18,282 of 21,160
why didn't you sell the clears for some extra money then?
I suppose I could have. I didn't want the hassle I guess. No hassle return and full refund (less small restocking fee). If I sold the Clears I would have lost a fair bit of $$ vs. what I paid. I would have been happy with either one. They were both very good

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #18,283 of 21,160
JRiver MC 32 >> SMSL SU9 >> SMSL SH9 >> Denon AH-D7200 :L3000:

niratias.jpg

NIRATIAS (2021) by Chevelle - The title stands for "Nothing Is Real And This Is A Simulation" and is a concept album that covers interstellar travel amongst other things. The excellent cover is by Boris Vallejo. I've always thought of Chevelle as a solid rock outfit but there are a couple of hints of prog here and there, which is understandable considering the theme, they are also not really a band as there are just two of them, Pete Loeffler on vocals, guitar, bass and piano and his brother Sam Loeffler on drums. The SMSL stack is wringing every last ounce of detail out of the music and the Denons are adding a bit of smoothness while doing very, very naughty things with the bass :darthsmile:
As if the pandemic wasn't already bad enough, TIL that Chevelle released a new album in the midst of it and I had absolutely no idea. On the bright side...new Chevelle! :darthsmile:

Mar 6, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #18,285 of 21,160
Relisten
Artifex Pereo - Passengers (2016)
LCD-2C / Heretic - Modi+ stack / Qobuz HiRes
1709777180540.png

Post hardcore / prog / rock and roll come together in one perfect package. One of my favorite defunct bands, i revisit this album like 3 times a year and it ages like fine wine. Infectious hooks, noodly guitars, "improper" and offbeat song structures. highly recommend.

Rating -
:star::star::star::star::star:

Favorites - Space Between Thoughts, Age of Loneliness, The Coefficient of Inefficiency

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back