For those of you that like NOS units-TDA1541A
May 29, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 5
Wierd, the TDA1541 is like the holy grail of non-oversampling DAC's so this on the surface looks very intriguing but what puts me off is it appears to use digital filters and an opamp output stage. From what I've read about non-oversampling part of the allure is the lack of need for digital filters and in some designs the passive I/V output stage so it looks to me like this player negates some of those benefits does it not?

May 29, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 5
Also what is interesting is that looking at the Dugood website.www.dugood.com, the cd player comes with what looks like a coaxial digital input.

I wonder if you can use it as a NOS dac as well as a cd player.

Also the price looks a very reasonable 410 us dollar(3250 yuan) retail price.

Does anybody know who else might be selling this apart from the unit oneBay.

Cheers

May 30, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Wierd, the TDA1541 is like the holy grail of non-oversampling DAC's so this on the surface looks very intriguing but what puts me off is it appears to use digital filters and an opamp output stage. From what I've read about non-oversampling part of the allure is the lack of need for digital filters and in some designs the passive I/V output stage so it looks to me like this player negates some of those benefits does it not?

The TDA1541 / SAA7220 is the classic late 80's Philips 4x oversampling DAC/ Filter pairing found in many machines from this period. It can sound slightly harsh ( Marantz CD65IISE / 75IISE) or smooth but still very detailed (Marantz CD94 / Studer A727 / Revox B226) depending on the design and standard of the rest of the components.

It is definitely regarded as a "classic" combo though as Ken Ishiwata went to the trouble of making the filter in the 2001 Marantz CD7, which was the rebirth of multibit, emulate it's sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back