Former Westone 4 Owner looking for new IEM in similar price range
May 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #16 of 25
Oh no SM64 is way inferior to the W4, not even close. It's fine if someone prefers the SM but performance wise the SM64 is one of the worst high prices iems. It's got a huge 4k suckout like the Heir 4ai and that's only the start...

May 21, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #17 of 25
Way inferior in what way? By measurements?

I guess that goes to show measurements only go so far...

Hell, I think my $1,200 Piano Forte's measure and perform worse than Apple earbuds. Shouldn't it be all about preference?

May 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #18 of 25
Way inferior in what way? By measurements?

I guess that goes to show measurements only go so far...

Hell, I think my $1,200 Piano Forte's measure and perform worse than Apple earbuds. Shouldn't it be all about preference?

Yes, because its not tainted by personal bias. It has a suckout, likely poor crossover implementation, even worse than that of the 4ai....there's just no excuse for it

May 21, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #19 of 25
Inks,

Do you have a link to the SM64 freq graph?

May 21, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #21 of 25
The bottom line is, and should be, that the SM64 is a very awesome listen, and I would bet the vast majority of people would pick it over the W4, especially if they are trying to get away from neutral and boring. SM64 is one of the most engaging listens under $500 bucks around. That, and the Flat4 SUI, and the FAD Heaven V. All measure very poorly, all have dedicated followers. You like the Flat4 yourself. 

The W4 is a fine earphone. No doubt. I owned it twice. At the end of the day, it's preference. And the OP wants to get away from the W4 whether it measures better or not. For the OP, the SM64 is what the doctor ordered. And for many other people, it is nothing short of a fantastic earphone in its price range. Because it is. 

May 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #22 of 25
Every other recommendation made here is better than SM64, I don't see the need to impose your preference. objectively performance is simply not there

May 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #23 of 25
W4 is not completely neutral and requires certain tweaking to sound best, maybe proper tips and setups weren't used

May 30, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #25 of 25
The bottom line is, and should be, that the SM64 is a very awesome listen, and I would bet the vast majority of people would pick it over the W4, especially if they are trying to get away from neutral and boring. SM64 is one of the most engaging listens under $500 bucks around. That, and the Flat4 SUI, and the FAD Heaven V. All measure very poorly, all have dedicated followers. You like the Flat4 yourself. 

The W4 is a fine earphone. No doubt. I owned it twice. At the end of the day, it's preference. And the OP wants to get away from the W4 whether it measures better or not. For the OP, the SM64 is what the doctor ordered. And for many other people, it is nothing short of a fantastic earphone in its price range. Because it is. 

Link to bolded measurements? Am curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back