Fostex HP-P1 or RSA SR-71??
Mar 1, 2012 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Jason36

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, 

I am fairly new to the portable amp idea...but have decided to invest in one for use with my iPhone 4S and iPad 2 (both of these containing Apple Lossless Files).

The question is, at the moment I have the option to purchase either the RSA SR-71 or the Fostex HP-P1. Both of these are second hand and obviously the Fostex is still considerably more expensive that the RSA. 

I know the Fostex will take the digital feed and convert it to analogue whereas the RSA is just a pure amplifier using the i products built in DAC........would I gain much improvement though by opting for the Fostex or would the RSA be a good solution??

The Fostex does also look a fair bit bigger than the RSA (I believe the RSA is the size of a ciggarette packet).

What do other people think and what would you do in my shoes???

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 32
Yet again no comments to a post.......:frowning2:

No one has an opinion or advice on this then, irrelevant of whether you have the specific products.

To be honest all I can see people want to really do on here is just go gooey and make big noises over pictures of other peoples setups and cans.

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 32
The HP_P1 willbe better pick because it's simply sound better than AMPs connected to idevices and you can add AMPs later with HP_P1 for even better sound experience.

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 32
I have both units you are considering.  While it is swell to use both, the HP-P1 delivers considerably more benefit to sound quality than the SR71-A on its own.  The SR71-A is one hell of a portable amp, and better than the amp section of the HP-P1, but the combination of the HP-P1's digital and amp qualities represent the best bang for the buck (despite the higher cost).  The amp in the HP-P1 is no slouch, even though the Blackbird is a notch above.

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 32
Cheers Guys,

Thats excellent feedback and the sort f thing I was hoping for. I had really got my heart set on the Fostex and my Headphones are not hard to driver so thought it might be the better option for use with my iPhone / iPod and iPad. Just wanted reassurance I suppose.

These are quire expensive here in the UK  - circa £500.00 and the one I am looking at is only 4 months old and think I could get it for probably £300.00 so in reality no more expensive than going for a decent standalone amp.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #6 of 32
I recently pondered this exact same thing!

Although I don't have the SR-71A to test, here's my recent impressions of the HP-P1 against the Tomahawk: http://www.head-fi.org/t/596755/fostex-hp-p1-vs-gen5-5-imod-rsa-sr-71b-balanced-output-now-with-fostex-hp-p1-review-page-2/15

Essentially what II Mostro saying is exacly right, the weakest part of the SR-71, SR-71A or B or any RSA amp is the source material of an iDevice. The amps themselves are superb. The Fostex solves this issue with a built in DAC and overall the sound quality is superb as a single package.

Good luck!

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #7 of 32
there's always the sr-71a/clas combination too, if you don't mind adding an extra piece to the puzzle.  i say that because that's what i have, and it sounds fantastic to my tired old ears... naturally :)

i never heard the hp-p1 though, so i'm probably hijacking this thread a little bit.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #9 of 32
So would I be right in saying that the d-zero takes the digital signal from the iPhone/iPod/iPad via an LOD then converts to analogue? Or when used with one of these products just acts as an amp.

I like the idea of being able to use it as an external Soundcard with a PC via USB as well.

To be honest I have to relook at this as the Fostex has just gone well by past what I am willing to pay.

Would prefer a single DAC/amp option but also considering the Pico Slim or ALO RXII AND adding a separate DAC to it.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #10 of 32
No, D-zero's DAC only works with PC, not iDevice (except maybe if iPad with the camera kit supports it)

Using a LOD itself means you are getting the analog line-out signal, not digital.

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #11 of 32

Quote:
No, D-zero's DAC only works with PC, not iDevice (except maybe if iPad with the camera kit supports it)
Using a LOD itself means you are getting the analog line-out signal, not digital.

Exactly.  This is a completely different game than where the OP started.  And, not for the better in any respect other than cost.   I like my D10 Cobra for its versatility/price, but it falls well short of the amp in the HP-P1 and shorter still compared to the RSA.  It is serviceable, but no great shakes as a DAC from my Macs either.  

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #12 of 32
Right well the Fostex is out....too expensive now.

So initially I'm going to buy an amp and then add a DAC later.....benefit of both worlds.

I am looking at the Pico Slim or possibly the ALO RX II or maybe the ALO The Continental and then there is still the RS-71 option. I can then look at maybe adding the CLAS DAC later.

What do people think about these amps or any other suggestions?

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #13 of 32
Mar 2, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 32
In your shoes I'd pick up an amplifier like this and put OPA627 in it.

I'd then spend every last cent on an IEM or custom IEM.

(you already have nice headphones)

Hmmm no offence but that's from some one who suggested combined amp/DAC was better but then recommended something that only worked as an amp with the iPhone????

I think I will continue to look at the amps I have identified and see what other people say as well.

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Hmmm no offence but that's from some one who suggested combined amp/DAC was better but then recommended something that only worked as an amp with the iPhone????

I think I will continue to look at the amps I have identified and see what other people say as well.

Very confused with your comment, there is no amp that will only work with an iPhone, that's impossible, if I've ever praised the Fostex HP-P1 it's for the amp section, not the Apple-only DAC section.

You haven't really specified what you're after, but I listened to the Pico Slim and lots of IEM's last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back