Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
May 11, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #395 of 1,448
Hmm, good question about whether ac is a faster charger
Than usb for the fostex. If its faster i may pick one up too.

I was going to buy one yesterday but my local shop was out of stock, i could
Pick one up elsewhere but i want new stock/ new firmware.

May 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #396 of 1,448
It doesn't come with AC charger, does it?

Also, curious what the usb cable looks from other owners look like.  Mine seems different from pictures from online sellers.

No, it does not come with one, but specifies you can use one. You should be able to use an AC charger with the proper DC output into a mini-USB male. My Bluetooth headset uses one that puts out 5v dc and wonder if I could use that.

My charging cord looks the same as youve pictured.

May 15, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #397 of 1,448
Well I finally bought the Fostex hp_p1 after a long deliberation.

I will post pics of my set up when my custom low rider piccolino usb lod gets here.

Sounds nice straight out of the box (with ipod touch 4G).

May 17, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #399 of 1,448
Hmm.

When I connect my iPod touch 4G firmware 5.1.1 it shows the volume bar(non functioning-but ugh).

iPhone 3G - firmware 4.2.1 doesn't show the volume bar when connected.

The results are the same for the native iPod Player and flacplayer app.

*also There is a slight difference in sound signature from both units also-interesting.

I am curious about other users results. Thanks.

May 17, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #400 of 1,448
The volume also still appears on my iPod 7g classic too.

I doubt there is a sound signature difference between devices though. The whole point is to bypass all idevice audio function and the device essentially becomes a storage device...?

May 17, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #401 of 1,448
I doubt there is a sound signature difference between devices though. The whole point is to bypass all idevice audio function and the device essentially becomes a storage device...?

That's what I figured too, but then I put then both through my home system using digital cable and the sound difference was distinct, hence my hmm this interesting. Seeking other head-fi 'er corroboration:)

I`m not craaazy! lol.

May 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #402 of 1,448
Can you describe your testing setup in more detail? How are you connecting the hp-p1 to your amp, via optical out? Identical tracks? This is very interesting indeed.

I have my classic and an iPhone 4S that I can try but I think I have done this before and found no discernible difference. And the classic has a hdd whereas the iPhone is ssd storage as I would imagine that if there were a difference it would be between storage mediums?

Can you describe the diffence in more detail?

May 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #403 of 1,448
The iphone 3G sounded more deep and spacious like an ipod 5.5g, the ipod touch 4G sounded more clinical and clear, transparent.

*Tried the same songs, had airplane mode turned on for both.

iphone/ipod touch >>>Fostex stock usb lod>>>.fostex. (filter 1, gain 1)>>>> digital optical cable to Denon home stereo system.

May 17, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #405 of 1,448
I got my Fiio E11 back yesterday (need to dump it somewhere...).

I connected it to my touch via LOD with the E11 and without, both times the volume slider was not visible.

Tried the Fostex + touch again with the usb lod/with fostex and usb lod by itself-still visible volume slider-annoys me for some reason.

*currently using my old iphone 3G as an ipod/digital transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back