Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Jun 15, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #482 of 1,448
QUSP: `I make the only USB LOD that is specifically designed for the fostex.

the pricing varies on how far you want to go with materials, but the sweetspot is $125 shipped and paypalled for a TWSpc cryo SPC twisted pair for the data differential and mini coax for power/ground. It has custom molded connectors for both ends, so the cable is left side low profile exit from the LOD and the USB is a right angle with a top entry to enable it to be very short.`

(hope he doesnt mind me posting this) this is from an email, NOTE: prices may vary and change over time though.

The piccolino is around twice as much. 

Not sure If $US or $AUS.

He is very easy and good to deal with.

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #484 of 1,448
Quote:
The only problem with this statement is that the ES5 makes anything sound good, even my iTouch 4.  

Um, I don't really see that as a "problem".  
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #485 of 1,448
Quote:
It's a shame the HP-P1 doesn't also work with laptops. Did anyone ever find out why? That would make it the perfect DAC/Amp combo for any device.

Yup totally. I sold off my portable USB DAC/Amp when I got my HP-P1 as I heard no sonic benefits to keeping it but once in a while I really miss it for listening from the laptop.

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #486 of 1,448
Yeah, the only reason I would listen from the laptop is if it's a CD I haven't ripped yet or if I'm listening to a 24/96 or 24/192 file away from home, neither of which can be stored on an iPhone or iPad. I believe the only way you can listen to hi-res files on an iPhone or iPad is to stream it from another computer via Home Sharing in iTunes.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #487 of 1,448
Quote:
 a 24/96 or 24/192 file away from home, neither of which can be stored on an iPhone or iPad. I believe the only way you can listen to hi-res files on an iPhone or iPad is to stream it from another computer via Home Sharing in iTunes.

FLAC player on ipad (not sure about iphone..never tried it) can store hi-rez files. The Fostex plays them back, but I have no idea if they are down sampled or anything....I think that discussion took place quite a few pages ago.

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #488 of 1,448
Heres a normal flac file with flacplayer app (from a beta earlier in the year, beta shows file sizes).

heres how a 24/96 file looks on ipod touch with flacplayer app (looks the same through the fostex), this was from a beta earlier in the year, the beta shows file sizes.

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #490 of 1,448
I have hi res files in apple lossless, 24/48 and 24/96.  I play with Amarra software thru a usb converter that handles that rate.  So i don't think the problem is apple lossless vs flac.

Jun 17, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #492 of 1,448
Hey everyone. I'm fairly new to the community especially when it comes to DACs. Would a better DAC still have significant improvements even if most of my files are 16/48? Most are ALAC or at least 320kbps.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #493 of 1,448
98% of my files are apple losseless or flac which is basically the same, i have five different dacs.  One goes with the tv and stereo, one with the cd player portion that is better but doesn't really work with everything, i have one for my headphone set up at home, one for my ipod-Fostex and one for my laptop transportable(pico dac only).  Guess i don't like the flat lifeless sound of consumer audio.
cool.gif

Edit-That all said, you probably could get by with just one, i just upgraded and moved my more dated stuff to the tv and one unit had glitches with some inputs but was otherwise very highend and sweet sounding.  

Jun 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #494 of 1,448
Quote:
Hey everyone. I'm fairly new to the community especially when it comes to DACs. Would a better DAC still have significant improvements even if most of my files are 16/48? Most are ALAC or at least 320kbps.

I don't know how discriminating you are, so can't say for sure, but it does make a significant difference to my ears when compared to the amplified output straight off an iPod or from an iPod line output.   I hear more detail, nuance, and better staging.  YMMV.  Most of the files I'm listening to are 16/44 (standard CD resolution) and are in AIFF or FLAC.  

Jun 17, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #495 of 1,448
Quote:
Would a better DAC still have significant improvements even if most of my files are 16/48? Most are ALAC or at least 320kbps.

It really depends on you.

Consider each part of the 'chain' between your music and your ears.

I can almost always hear a difference between average lossy and lossless.

I can hear the difference between better headphones and those that are less flat or less clear.

I can hear the difference between the iDevice's OEM DAC vs. the HP_P1 for most music that I know well.

Upgrading any part of the 'chain' helps. You may want to try one step before the other. Ideally you'd have a chance to try out the HP_P1 before you bought it? Maybe try to find someone who has one near you or look for a local Head-fi meetup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back