Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Jun 25, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #571 of 1,448
Quote:
I cant work out whether i have a channel imbalance when i use IEMs, whether my fostex is faulty, or my ath-ck10 is faulty. often my right side seems louder.

broken ears? 

well one things for sure its not the USB cable. does the fostex use digital volume control or analogue? are you having to use them right at the beginning if the dial? the fostex isnt really specified for really low impedance, this may be why, perhaps the pot used, due to size and budget doesnt have the greatest tracking at the beginning of the range.

A much better alternative than broken ears right?

you could test this by reripping a couple of tracks with the volume turned a fair way down, to enable you to turn the volume control up further, perhaps this will get you past the area where it doesnt track well and the balance will be restored. thats not a long term solution of course, as you will be lowering the dynamic range of your music and raising the noise floor, but it may help you to get to the bottom of your issues

Jun 25, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #572 of 1,448
Quote:
To bad, not in US.

Not true: they say these guys are the US distributors...

USA
HDL Distributing
6195 Allentown Blvd.
Harrisburg, PA 17112, USA
Ph: 888-204-5768
dealers@hdldistributing.com
www.hdldistributing.com

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #573 of 1,448
Quote:

Not true: they say these guys are the US distributors...

USA
HDL Distributing
6195 Allentown Blvd.
Harrisburg, PA 17112, USA
Ph: 888-204-5768
dealers@hdldistributing.com
www.hdldistributing.com

Thanks, though their website says nothing, maybe i'll have to give them a call and see if there are any dealers around online or in the area and what the cost is here.

Jun 26, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #574 of 1,448
Quote:
I cant work out whether i have a channel imbalance when i use IEMs, whether my fostex is faulty, or my ath-ck10 is faulty. often my right side seems louder.

broken ears? 

I think there is some channel imbalance at really low levels.  Once you push the volume knob reaches the 9 o'clock mark, I don't hear any imbalance.  How loud do you listen to your CK10?  A good way of testing it is to listen to the CK10 directly out of your iPod Touch, to see if the imbalance is there.  If its not there, then you can rule out faulty earphones.  To see if it's the HP-P1, try connecting one of those line attenuator.  It will reduce the volume enough so you can push the volume of the HP-P1 beyond the 9 o'clock mark, where there should be no channel imbalance.  Or you can test it with less sensitive headphones. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #575 of 1,448
Quote:

broken ears? 

I think it is several things.

I used my TF10s and seem to have a problem getting a good fit on my left ear (I have MANY different tips).

Also some of it is the separation that the Fostex has, I think I may be adjusting to the clarity. 

Also not every track has vocals mixed right in the center of my head, which i didnt notice straight out of the ipod.

I also have different results depending on where I place my attention within my skull, upper forehead, center skull, nose etc.

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #576 of 1,448
I believe ear canal shape has something to do with it. I always hear dead center voices slightly left of center. The ear impressions I recently got for ES5's confirms that my right ear is more convoluted than my left which ultimately means my right is not receiving same sound volume as left (very very slight) but enough to notice if you concentrate. 

I am also sure I am slightly more deaf in the right ear than left ear for some reason (something happened in my youth?)

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #579 of 1,448
I think it is several things.

I used my TF10s and seem to have a problem getting a good fit on my left ear (I have MANY different tips).

Also some of it is the separation that the Fostex has, I think I may be adjusting to the clarity. 

Also not every track has vocals mixed right in the center of my head, which i didnt notice straight out of the ipod.

I also have different results depending on where I place my attention within my skull, upper forehead, center skull, nose etc.

Yeah, I have a similar problem. My right ear hole seems to be a tad bigger than my left. I've resorted to using 2 different sized tips.

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #582 of 1,448
I have a question that i should probably should know the answer or be aware of.  I think, but am not sure, does the Fostex decode 24 bit files from the ipod or is the file converted to 16 bit.  I have 24bit files that play thru itunes with amarra and my converter to dac but am not sure if they downsize in either the ipod or Fostex.  I would assume that they are just played 24 bit and no problem.

Edit-I found it further back in the thread, it appears that it is downsampled.  If it's true that sucks!

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #585 of 1,448
Quote:
Yes and no.  I have an older ipod classic.

Is it RockBoxed?  If not, how do you store/play FLAC files on it?  I don't think even RockBox actually provides FLAC (native-resolution) output via the line-out dock.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  AFAIK, as has been suggested, FLAC Player on a more current iTouch/iPhone will give you what you are looking for via the Fostex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back