Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Jul 9, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #631 of 1,448
Quote:

??? Please elaborate? Separate amps or in-built amps? HP-P2???

well they had three fostex hp_p1 with different amps in them, I dont really know their plan (see third line).

The sound wasnt much different between them and the original to be honest, and its an all in one, no chassis change so far. so dont worry.

From what i gathered it was a new version, but what they said in English and meant to communicate could be two different things. 

Very nice guys though.

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #633 of 1,448
Quote:
Guess it doesn't make the current model any worse, but ouch.

Very true.  Although it's typical in this hobby to call something 'veiled', 'grainy', or any number of other bad things once a successor comes out- no matter how good we thought the earlier model was.  And while I understand the disappointment of some, how else is any company (including Apple) supposed to introduce new models?

I wonder if the new amps might be more (BA)IEM friendly- in other words have something closer to a '0' output impedance.  The HP-P1 does get kind of weird with Triple-Fis and my UERMs. 

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #634 of 1,448
Quote:
Very true.  Although it's typical in this hobby to call something 'veiled', 'grainy', or any number of other bad things once a successor comes out- no matter how good we thought the earlier model was.  And while I understand the disappointment of some, how else is any company (including Apple) supposed to introduce new models?

I wonder if the new amps might be more (BA)IEM friendly- in other words have something closer to a '0' output impedance.  The HP-P1 does get kind of weird with Triple-Fis and my UERMs. 

Yeah I'd be interested in something geared towards IEMs.

Can you please elaborate on whatyou mean by "weird"? esp with the UERMs

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #635 of 1,448
Tried something today but like to have your comment on whether this makes sense or not. Reason was that everytime i increase the volume, there is always a annoying hissing sound. Though I am pretty sure the source music was very good.
iPod classic 160g LOD --> Fostex HpP1 ---> optic SP DIF ---> ibasso D12 optical ---> headphone from ibasso D12.
The thing is that all the volume control now is with ibasso, while Fostex function as volume, gain and filter don't have any impact anymore. The sound was loud and clear, but less digital feeling like Fostex. Hissing reduced anyhow.
Is this a waste of Fostex if I connect in this way? Or it is smart?:rolleyes:

Have found answer in currawongs review here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fostex-hp-p1/reviews/

Interesting to see that hp p1 was said to have a half decent amp while paired up an extra amp the performance can be boosted.

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #636 of 1,448
Quote:
Interesting to see that hp p1 was said to have a half decent amp while paired up an extra amp the performance can be boosted.

... in the context of high impedence headphones. I can agree that with 300ohm or 600ohm headphones the HP-P1 doesn't work as well. I find that anything that can be driven on gain 1 well generally sounds very good. 

Although I have line outted from the HP-P1 to a high end tube amp and I liked what I heard. This is why I am curious to know what Fostex have planned for the next iteration of HP-P1.

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #637 of 1,448
Quote:

... in the context of high impedence headphones. I can agree that with 300ohm or 600ohm headphones the HP-P1 doesn't work as well. I find that anything that can be driven on gain 1 well generally sounds very good. 

Although I have line outted from the HP-P1 to a high end tube amp and I liked what I heard. This is why I am curious to know what Fostex have planned for the next iteration of HP-P1.

Even with a low impedance headphone of 70ohm, I can still hear the difference. The difference is more obvious by using mp3 instead of aiff or wav. The HP P1 sound is more tinted, softer (less metallic), more likely to hiss when volume is turned up. However this effect can sound better for certain female vocals.

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #639 of 1,448
Quote:
They asked me if I would pay for a firmware update that allowed the HP_P1 to charge my iDevice.

I'd pay for new filters or possibly other new features. Properly charging the iDevice strikes me more as a bug fix than something really new and I would not pay for it. Further, I would think twice about future Fostex purchases, if they go in this direction. First thing they need to do, before introducing new models or firmware features, is to make it possible for users to do the updates themselves.

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #640 of 1,448
I agree that users should be able to upgrade their own firmware, i was a little blown away that that was not possible.  Luckily i got one more recently and was already updated.

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #641 of 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

First thing they need to do, before introducing new models or firmware features, is to make it possible for users to do the updates themselves.

Yup. No Fostex dealers anywhere close to Ice Station Zebra :frowning2:

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #642 of 1,448
Quote:
what is your firmware

and
1.1.2 (hardware)

?.

The new firmware is:
Version 1.1.1
Serial Number:Beta201111108dbg

This seems like the same one that Moon Audio is flashing.

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #643 of 1,448
Quote:

I'd pay for new filters or possibly other new features. Properly charging the iDevice strikes me more as a bug fix than something really new and I would not pay for it. Further, I would think twice about future Fostex purchases, if they go in this direction. First thing they need to do, before introducing new models or firmware features, is to make it possible for users to do the updates themselves.

I believe Fostex is entirely restricted by their contract with Apple to use the connectivity technology that gets digital-out via the iDevice dock. This is the reason that firmware updates are limited to the manufacturer and are not available publicly, as I understand it. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #644 of 1,448
I believe Fostex is entirely restricted by their contract with Apple to use the connectivity technology that gets digital-out via the iDevice dock. This is the reason that firmware updates are limited to the manufacturer and are not available publicly, as I understand it. 

That is interesting and entirely plausible that the firmware also contains the decoding encryption for apple products, and hence needs to be protected from public access

Users who are viewing this thread

Back