Fostex HP-P1 - what are the best full-size headphones it can handle?
Jan 12, 2012 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jdebonth

New Head-Fier
I have a HP-P1 for my JH16Pro's. I would like to buy a great set of full size headphones like the HD650/HD800. Can the HP-P1 properly drive such headphones? If not, what is the best full size it can drive? Thanks

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #2 of 9
I haven't tried with them yet, but probably the lower impedance HD-598s would be a better option, though you'd ideally get them re-terminated with a mini-plug. The HP-P1 seems to work best with easy-to-drive headphones such as Grados and the like. The HD-700s also seemed good out of it. However, I have found adding the Triad Audio L3 after the HP-P1 made for an excellent transportable rig.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 9
Currawong, would the L3 be a big improvement over the HP-P1 for use with AT woodies and Denon phones?

Also, will there be a noticeable improvement when using Algorhythm with an iPod and for example a Centrance Dacport LX with a Macbook in your opinion?

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 9
I plan to take my rig into the stores sometime and try out a bunch of headphones with it, so I'll be able to better answer then. I will give the W3000s a go with it at some point. I scored lucky in that the Symphones Magnums are a perfect match with my (trans)portable rig.

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 9
I'm interested to hear your findings. The Lisa is a no brainer I think. The Fostex vs Solo is another matter.
I am looking more for a transportable than portable rig as well. The Fostex has the advantage over the solo in the way that it can be used as a true portable rig when used without the Lisa.
Difficult choice ... depends on how good the amp section is.

I see you wrote a review on the Symphones. Never heard of them, will be a nice read for tonight.

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 9
If Ken comes to the next Fujiya Avic show, I'll battle off my rig with his CLAS/RX-III offering if I can.

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 9
I found a thread comparing the CLAS to the Fostex. The CLAS seems to be more analytical and the Fostex has a more enjoyable sound.
From what I read the amp is pretty good as well and could handle phones up to the HD650, but fails to bring out the best from phones like the HD800 and LCD's, which is normal I'd say. The L3 is probably a lot better.

So, I decided on the Fostex anyway, it will give me a nice compact portable solution on its own and I plan to upgrade it by adding the L3 for desktop/garden use at work later on this year, maybe with the addition of a DacPort LX, but maybe I could just use my iPod as a source at work instead of the MBP which would eliminate the need for a DacPort.

Still very intersted in you findings and wondering how the Fostex amp part compares to the L3 in particular since you seem to be using that combo.

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 9
I did try them with the W3000s. Better instrument separation with the L3 after the HP-P1, same as with my Magnums. The bass boost was handy with them too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back