Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Mar 28, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #2,311 of 2,844
I have a T50RP that I modded by adding plasticine, some cotton and removed the covering on the ear side of the drive. Even with these mods the T50RP was anemic and thin sounding, I much preferred my modded Grado SR60i but the wife always complained that my music was disturbing her so back to the T50RP I went. I decided to get a pair of the ZMF lambskin oval pads with I installed today. All I can say is wow! These pads made a much bigger change than I expected, the phones are no longer anemic, now there is plenty bass and I am hearing low end details that I never heard before in familiar music. I have some wire and xlr connectors on order so that I can go balanced.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #2,312 of 2,844
I have a T50RP that I modded by adding plasticine, some cotton and removed the covering on the ear side of the drive. Even with these mods the T50RP was anemic and thin sounding, I much preferred my modded Grado SR60i but the wife always complained that my music was disturbing her so back to the T50RP I went. I decided to get a pair of the ZMF lambskin oval pads with I installed today. All I can say is wow! These pads made a much bigger change than I expected, the phones are no longer anemic, now there is plenty bass and I am hearing low end details that I never heard before in familiar music. I have some wire and xlr connectors on order so that I can go balanced.

I love that leather seal. :)

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #2,313 of 2,844
How do I get rid off this darn rattle during certain bass freq's on my right side?

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #2,315 of 2,844
  How do I get rid off this darn rattle during certain bass freq's on my right side?

I have the same problem on left side..
frown.gif

Sent from my ZUK Z2132 using Tapatalk

Several others have had this problem. I've replaced 5 or 6 diaphragms for guys because the faulty ones were warped. The hypothesis is that the warped diaphragms vibrate against the magnets due to greater excursion from bass freqs. I think I posted pictures within this thread; maybe the first post.

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #2,316 of 2,844
1st run, maple test piece, baffle not shown. Next run, maple baffle with black limba cups, 2 bass ports on top

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #2,318 of 2,844
Noticed some chatter about wood mods for T50RP, so I decided to also post the link to this thread instead of just the MK3 thread. :)

http://imgur.com/3HL6x9a

@hemipowered007
 here is my finalized build, I have a list of parts on the Imgur link. @fleasbaby
 artisan work!

Very nice! Mine are almost done, I think. How do those sound? As beautiful as they look?

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #2,319 of 2,844
Very nice! Mine are almost done, I think. How do those sound? As beautiful as they look?

Yes. I should be sleeping right now but I'm cycling through genres again... they're so pleasant. I purposely added no dampening or any filler to the cups, I wanted to really know that the wood was doing all of the work. Gabon Ebony and I are long-time friends, a favorite clarinet of mine in my youth was made of it--a lovely distinct color and smell that you'll never forget.

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #2,320 of 2,844

Yes. I should be sleeping right now but I'm cycling through genres again... they're so pleasant. I purposely added no dampening or any filler to the cups, I wanted to really know that the wood was doing all of the work. Gabon Ebony and I are long-time friends, a favorite clarinet of mine in my youth was made of it--a lovely distinct color and smell that you'll never forget.

That's fantastic, I hope to have my father in law whip some up out of xoxobolo after he's done with the black limba. The cups are press fit to the custom baffles,making it easy to deal cups/mod cups. Can't wait to see what he does with it all

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #2,321 of 2,844
That's fantastic, I hope to have my father in law whip some up out of xoxobolo after he's done with the black limba. The cups are press fit to the custom baffles,making it easy to deal cups/mod cups. Can't wait to see what he does with it all

Cocobolo is a beautiful wood! I'm obsessed with Gabon Ebony, which is REALLY expensive and difficult to procure. Luckily for me, the SO's family owns a few hobby woodworking shops.

May 15, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #2,324 of 2,844
Good day, which mod version/variant is considered the best in terms of providing super isolation (best sealed/closed can) with a non-fatiguing sound signature and long-term comfort?

My preferred music genre is slow electronic (ambient, classic, downtempo, new age: e.g. Jarre, Vangelis, Schulze, Eno, Grosskopf, Enya, Lana Del Rey, Pyrdz, etc.).

Considering the following:

Mod Foundation Kit: Use the Mayflower kit with the baffle upgrade as a starting foundation to work from with any/all required additions to improve the isolation and get a non-fatiguing sound... what say you?

Ear Pads Mod: ZMF Lambskin Ovals or MrSpeakers Alpha Pads

Head Strap Mod: ZMF Lambskin Pilot Pad; MrSpeakers Leather Comfort Strap; or ModHouseAudio Deerskin Suspension Strap​

May 15, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #2,325 of 2,844
Best isolation I think goes to the Paxmate lattice mod - that thing beats pretty much any consumer/fashion/studio closed-back headphone for natural attenuation.

You can also add paxmate around the front of the baffle for a tiny bit more isolation, and doesn't hurt the sound either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back