Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Sep 22, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #3,271 of 3,438
to anyone interested the cable came today, seems to be high quality,sounds fine to me
popcorn.gif

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #3,272 of 3,438
Hopefully the community can be of some help here. Typically I am an open headphone guy but a while back I had some Denon D2000 and really loved then but like we so often foolishly do I sold/traded them and have regretted it since. I was at a meet and got some head time with Fostex TH900 and a Chord Hugo. For me that was bliss and endgame as far as I was concerned with closed headphones. Th-900 were out of my price range though but with the recent Massdrop Fostex Th-xoo line I thought that would be a good compromise and I was nearly set to pull a trigger on a pair when I got a lucky break and scored a pair of Fostex TH-600 at a price I couldn't pass up. I was going to purchase a pair of thx-00 maple cups form Mark Lawton but alas they were sold and the page hadn't been updated but no worries as we worked out a deal on a new type 1 wood cup that they used to test before they go into production he is having it glossed/finished and I should be getting it in a few weeks. I am going to change the stock pads as well so any recommendations between ZMF pads, Lawton pads ($109 seems a bit high just for pads) or anybody know if Mr. speakers alpha pads will fit a 600 or any other suggestions? Also I am not the greatest craftsman in the world and a bit inexperienced modding headphoones - is changing the cups that difficult or so technical I should find somebody I know local do it for me? 
As always thanks in advance for any tips, help or recommendations.

After headphone is complete, next purchase will most likely be a chord mojo for portable use - Have a good solid state and tube amp as well as DAC already for home use.

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #3,273 of 3,438
Hopefully the community can be of some help here. Typically I am an open headphone guy but a while back I had some Denon D2000 and really loved then but like we so often foolishly do I sold/traded them and have regretted it since. I was at a meet and got some head time with Fostex TH900 and a Chord Hugo. For me that was bliss and endgame as far as I was concerned with closed headphones. Th-900 were out of my price range though but with the recent Massdrop Fostex Th-xoo line I thought that would be a good compromise and I was nearly set to pull a trigger on a pair when I got a lucky break and scored a pair of Fostex TH-600 at a price I couldn't pass up. I was going to purchase a pair of thx-00 maple cups form Mark Lawton but alas they were sold and the page hadn't been updated but no worries as we worked out a deal on a new type 1 wood cup that they used to test before they go into production he is having it glossed/finished and I should be getting it in a few weeks. I am going to change the stock pads as well so any recommendations between ZMF pads, Lawton pads ($109 seems a bit high just for pads) or anybody know if Mr. speakers alpha pads will fit a 600 or any other suggestions? Also I am not the greatest craftsman in the world and a bit inexperienced modding headphoones - is changing the cups that difficult or so technical I should find somebody I know local do it for me? 
As always thanks in advance for any tips, help or recommendations.

After headphone is complete, next purchase will most likely be a chord mojo for portable use - Have a good solid state and tube amp as well as DAC already for home use.

Alpha pads fit and are my preferred pads. I tried stock, Lawton, Zmf, and brainwavz. I also like the hybrid brainwavz pads too.

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #3,275 of 3,438
Tell me which one that suits TH600:

Order the ZMF Pilot Pad?:
         Select Order the ZMF Pilot Pad?         YESNO       

Order ZMF Earpads?:
         Select Order ZMF Earpads?         NOYES       

Earpad Shape:
         Select Earpad Shape         Pilot Pad OnlyOvalOmni     

Have no idea with this......... 

http://www.zmfheadphones.com/order-the-zmf/zmfpads

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #3,276 of 3,438
  What portable amp sounds better then Fiio E12 with these headphones? dont get me wrong my E12 sounds fine just curious if there was a portable amp that sounded even better with them

mojo..

Oct 6, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #3,277 of 3,438
Tell me which one that suits TH600:

Order the ZMF Pilot Pad?:

Select Order the ZMF Pilot Pad?         YESNO       

Order ZMF Earpads?:

Select Order ZMF Earpads?         NOYES       

Earpad Shape:

Select Earpad Shape         Pilot Pad OnlyOvalOmni     

Have no idea with this......... 

http://www.zmfheadphones.com/order-the-zmf/zmfpads

Depends what you want. What are you trying to do?

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #3,278 of 3,438
Oct 6, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #3,281 of 3,438
The cowhide will act a lot like the bass boost, but I think mids and highs are still pretty good. That said, if you are happy with the bass boost and EQ, then there is not reason to change.

Oct 6, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #3,282 of 3,438
The cowhide will act a lot like the bass boost, but I think mids and highs are still pretty good. That said, if you are happy with the bass boost and EQ, then there is not reason to change.

well im thinking that the Cowhide will help because,the e12 or the Cowon the bass they employee is ELECTRONIC where as the cowhide is actualy changing the sound chamber

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #3,285 of 3,438
I spent some time with them today, as well as with the HP-a4BL amp. I was very impressed with both. I also tried the Amp/DAC wit h my Ether C, and it drove it very well. I think this Amp DAC might be better than the Jotunheim.

As for the TH-610, it struck me as a fully Lawton modded TH-600. Well controlled bass. Tight treble. Looks very nice too with the wooden cups. I asked about getting the cups and they said which they don't sell them directly, I should ask an authorized repair shop abut getting them as a replacement part.

Bottom line, I have no problem recommending the TH-610 to anyone. If you have a Lawton modded 600, you are already there.

Now, take this with a grain of salt as I didn't have my TH-600 with me to compare. All my impressions were from memory. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back