Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 18, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #18,693 of 18,765
Pictures of said cable? :)
I tried to capture a photo of the cable as best I could, but it was difficult because of the way the room is lit/shaped. Not sure if you can see the label etc.

Attachments

• IMG_9128.jpeg
    IMG_9128.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 0
Nov 21, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #18,698 of 18,765
Thanks @up late. My prior acquisition for the 900s were a set of ZMF Eikon (solid lamb skin) pads. I'd been internally debating their purchase for some months. Two things were holding me off; first I already had the Yaxi Alcantara pads which were probably some of the most comfortable Ive ever had caress my the sides of my head, and secondly was their price. Only 1 stockist in the UK and they had them for £90! They eventually had them on sale (for £70...) so finally gave in. I'm glad I did because they bring back the bass that the Yaxis gave up, but keep all the other best bits. I think the Eikons even have the stock on bass quantity. Adore this combo.

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #18,700 of 18,765
Thanks @up late. My prior acquisition for the 900s were a set of ZMF Eikon (solid lamb skin) pads. I'd been internally debating their purchase for some months. Two things were holding me off; first I already had the Yaxi Alcantara pads which were probably some of the most comfortable Ive ever had caress my the sides of my head, and secondly was their price. Only 1 stockist in the UK and they had them for £90! They eventually had them on sale (for £70...) so finally gave in. I'm glad I did because they bring back the bass that the Yaxis gave up, but keep all the other best bits. I think the Eikons even have the stock on bass quantity. Adore this combo.

I've tried the Eikon suede solid and Ori lambskin. They're both great pads for TH900 and keeps the sound pretty close to stock, if not slightly more bass. Eikon lambskin seems equally good.

Nov 22, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #18,701 of 18,765
What cable is this? Looks lovely, especially the hardware involved.

Thanks. I mainly choose cables primarily for a combination of their aesthetics and ergonomics over any sound augmentations/alterations, and thought the contrast of the gold and silver would compliment the colour palette of the 900's nicely. The cable is, the aptly named, NiceHCK GoldCrown* and I use it with these transparent MMCX to Fostex adapters. With these I can use any MMCX cable, and don't have to wait for a custom cable to be built each time I fancy a change.

I was feeling whimsical yesterday so posted this accompanying lyric in the Watercooler thread.

Some might call it garish,
For others perhaps too bling,
But what we can agree on,
'tis a cable fit for the King.

*It will be on sale for £76 as part of NiceHCK's Black Friday from tomorrow. Thankfully I only paid a little more than that with discounts otherwise I'd have been pretty bummed haha.

I've tried the Eikon suede solid and Ori lambskin. They're both great pads for TH900 and keeps the sound pretty close to stock, if not slightly more bass. Eikon lambskin seems equally good.

I agree, similar impressions here.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #18,702 of 18,765
Hi, I ve a Denon ah d5200, I like it a lot but I can buy a second hand th900 mk1 with detachable cable for about 470€. I listen mainly grado 325x and sennheiser hd6xx so I need a closed back headphones, the Denon signature has impressed to me but the th 900 worth the 100€ extra? Are they comparable ? Thanks in advance for your help

Nov 27, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #18,703 of 18,765
Hi, I ve a Denon ah d5200, I like it a lot but I can buy a second hand th900 mk1 with detachable cable for about 470€. I listen mainly grado 325x and sennheiser hd6xx so I need a closed back headphones, the Denon signature has impressed to me but the th 900 worth the 100€ extra? Are they comparable ? Thanks in advance for your help
TH900 is semi-closed, it doesn't isolate well and leaks sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back